It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Man's best friend, my best friend
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:36 am 

Saturday night I had to make the decision I have long dreaded. I had to say goodbye to my pooch Spenser. Spenser was a tri-color Beagle. He was almost 17 years old. I've had him practically my entire adult life. I've made major life decisions that were influenced by that dog. With the exception of my wife, nothing has impacted my day to day life as much as Spenser. How do you say good bye to that? I'm devastated.

I got Spenser in March of 1998 when he was just 9 weeks old. It is almost shocking to think how much the world has changed and all the things that have happened to me since then. Spenser was with me through it all. I don't have children. My wife can't, so Spenser truly was our baby. In his senior years the amount of care involved for Spenser had gotten significant. He had trouble doing the stairs, he couldn't hold his pee at night, he required regular medications. I even took him to a vet regularly for accupuncture to alleviate his arthritis. I've slept on the couch on the first floor for the last 2 years to accommodate his needs. The change from him being gone is shocking. I told my wife I'm going to get bored and fat with all the extra time on my hands. This morning was my first day of work since losing him. It was the first morning I wasn't rushed to leave in years. I miss being rushed.

I'm not sure why I felt the need to share all this here. I just have this profound need to talk about it. I'm sure others around here have pets they feel the same about. Love and cherish them while you can.

Post subject: Re: Man's best friend, my best friend
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:45 am 

I'm sorry for your loss. Truly devastating. Thank you for telling us about him. He sounds like a great pooch.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:20 am 

Condolences, Pro. No doubt that losing a beloved pet is losing a family member.

There might be some things you and the wife haven't been able to do caring for a dog - especially an old one. My advice would be to go do those things. Then when the time is right get a new pup and start a new friendship.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:03 pm 

Y-Town Steel wrote:
Condolences, Pro. No doubt that losing a beloved pet is losing a family member.

There might be some things you and the wife haven't been able to do caring for a dog - especially an old one. My advice would be to go do those things. Then when the time is right get a new pup and start a new friendship.

This.

Condolences man.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:49 pm 

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to make a similar decision pretty soon with one of my dogs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:03 pm 

Very sorry to hear, Pro. Sounds like Spenser was a great dog. As they say, all dogs go to heaven.

I know what you mean about time flying. My dog Lucy, who has been a good luck charm for the Steelers since the '02 Steelers/Browns playoff game, is 12 years old now. She's still a vibrant dog, full of piss and vinegar, but I know she's on the back 9. I don't like thinking about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:38 pm 

Sorry for your loss.

I lost my chocolate lab around Christmas in 2008, and was physically and mentally devastated for a couple of years. He was the best dog I could have ever had for his 12 years of life. He got cancer and died in front of me the day we were taking him to be put down. It was one of the worst days of my life, and it lingered for a long time.

It will get better man, remember the great times. I still have several photos of my dog.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:50 am 

Sorry for your loss, Pro...had to put down my Springer Spaniel when I was younger. I know how tough it is. That dog would cock his head when you talked to him & actually answer you with a arrrarrarr. Loved chasing rocks, buried him with one & his favorite stick next too his favorite swimming hole. My asshole stepfather thought it was a good idea too get breakfast after we put him down, while he was in the bag in the back of the pick-up. I couldn't eat. Nickdog got sick from cancer at 10 yrs old, way too young. Everyone loved him...so many classic stories. First & only dog I've ever seen smile.

Condolences. Like JL58 said, they're all in a giant dog pack pissing on angel trees.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:40 am 

VanWilder wrote:
Sorry for your loss, Pro...had to put down my Springer Spaniel when I was younger. I know how tough it is. That dog would cock his head when you talked to him & actually answer you with a arrrarrarr. Loved chasing rocks, buried him with one & his favorite stick next too his favorite swimming hole. My asshole stepfather thought it was a good idea too get breakfast after we put him down, while he was in the bag in the back of the pick-up. I couldn't eat. Nickdog got sick from cancer at 10 yrs old, way too young. Everyone loved him...so many classic stories. First & only dog I've ever seen smile.

Condolences. Like JL58 said, they're all in a giant dog pack pissing on angel trees.

Wow. This seems a bit "off" to me.

Then again, my dad is one that has put down a few of our dogs growing up the "old fashion way".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:33 am 

So sorry, Pro. I had to put my 5 yr old Pit down a couple months back. I was heartbroken.