It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Man's best friend, my best friend
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:27 pm 

Very sorry to hear. Those who are not "dog people" don't get it.

Last year my 11 year old yellow lab ate a pair of panties that got stuck in her small intestine. By the time her behavior had become erratic enough for us to realize there was a serious problem it was almost too late. Vet said had we not brought her in when we did she might not have made it through the night.

Emergency surgery saved her. It also wasn't cheap. Close to $4k when all said and done.

While she was recovering my father in law had the nerve to ask how we could spend that much on "just a dog" and said we need to realize "she's getting older".

Ummm, it wasn't old age kicking her ass it was a blockage in her body. I couldn't have lived with myself had I opted to save the money and put her down instead.

My 12 year old son literally doesn't know life without this dog. She's an indoor dog and other than vacations/trips she doesn't go on has spend his entire life right there inside the house with us. It will be hardest on him when she goes.

And I'm to tell him we are just going to put her down instead of try to save her?? No fucking way.

She had her one year anniversary for her "alive day" last month. While I realize at 12 she doesn't have much time left, I also know that money spent bought us another year at this point. Maybe she gives us another. Time will tell.

I understand your loss and do not look forward to having to do the same at some point in my not too distant future.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:36 pm 

I have wrote articles for the past 10 years...I have most likely knocked out upwards of 300 of those bad boys.

The one I remember the most and the one most posters remember most was titled the Heart of the Gospel

The Heart of the Gospel was my fantastic scottie Minnie....A day does not pass I don't think of her.

Best dog in the world...Pro I cannot offer any words.

I would take my dogs over 97% of the people walking this earth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:05 pm 

Quote:
I would take my dogs over 97% of the people walking this earth

Word...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:31 pm 

Thanks for kind words everyone. And FC, I remember that gospel.

My wife just called me this afternoon sobbing. Spenser's ashes just arrived at the house. It has been rough since he passed. I was boxing up all his stuff on the weekend. What to keep, what to donate, what to throw out...doing all that stuff is almost as hard as making the "decision". He was a great dog. Truly special. But the memories are great. Seems like every conversation with my friends and family in the last 10 days has started, "Remember when Spenser......"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:35 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
VanWilder wrote:
Sorry for your loss, Pro...had to put down my Springer Spaniel when I was younger. I know how tough it is. That dog would cock his head when you talked to him & actually answer you with a arrrarrarr. Loved chasing rocks, buried him with one & his favorite stick next too his favorite swimming hole. My asshole stepfather thought it was a good idea too get breakfast after we put him down, while he was in the bag in the back of the pick-up. I couldn't eat. Nickdog got sick from cancer at 10 yrs old, way too young. Everyone loved him...so many classic stories. First & only dog I've ever seen smile.

Condolences. Like JL58 said, they're all in a giant dog pack pissing on angel trees.

Wow. This seems a bit "off" to me.

Then again, my dad is one that has put down a few of our dogs growing up the "old fashion way".

Yeah, he was an asshole.

SteelPro wrote:
Thanks for kind words everyone. And FC, I remember that gospel.

My wife just called me this afternoon sobbing. Spenser's ashes just arrived at the house. It has been rough since he passed. I was boxing up all his stuff on the weekend. What to keep, what to donate, what to throw out...doing all that stuff is almost as hard as making the "decision". He was a great dog. Truly special. But the memories are great. Seems like every conversation with my friends and family in the last 10 days has started, "Remember when Spenser......"

Still have those conversations with old friends, Pro. Thankful I/we had the opportunity/were fortunate enough too be blessed enough having man's best friends in our lives. Dogs are the reason I scoff at anyone that thinks humans are the only "self aware" creatures on the earth. K-9's might even do a better job of being the most dominant species...they've got human's being their butler. ;)