It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL out for more money...from Super Bowl halftime performers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:20 pm 

http://www.tvweek.com/tvbizwire/2014/08 ... uper-bowl/

Want performers to agree to cough up a portion of their post-Super Bowl tour income for the privilege to perform at the halftime show.

The performers are NOT pleased.

Maybe we are going back to the days of these types of halftime shows...

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

Post subject: Re: NFL out for more money...from Super Bowl halftime perfor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:26 pm 

Sure seems like an overreach. But it is a pretty big promo for them, so we'll see. Plus, I'd expect this mostly comes from the label, and out of its promotional budget for the artist/album.

The plus side is it might mean the end of classic acts that are painful to watch well past their prime.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm 

Somebody is going to cough up the cash, and it isn't like the Super Bowl halftime show doesn't have pretty much a captive audience.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:32 pm 

Insert pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:34 pm 

Yeah, it's certainly a pattern, but I could really give less of a shit about the Super Bowl halftime show.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:06 pm 

Coldplay won't pay. It's not them. I don't see Rhianna paying either. Katy Perry, maybe, but I doubt it. The only people you're getting to pay are older acts that need the boost by playing the halftime show. Those three don't so much need that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:15 pm 

SteelerZen wrote:
Coldplay won't pay. It's not them. I don't see Rhianna paying either. Katy Perry, maybe, but I doubt it. The only people you're getting to pay are older acts that need the boost by playing the halftime show. Those three don't so much need that.

If anybody pays it will be young up and coming acts who most of us won't know until they perform.

I've checked out of the halftime show myself since superbowl 40 when the NFL passed up the opportunity to let motown artists perform in Detroit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:20 pm 
It's good bidness. Consider the viewer they are looking for at half time-

Thompson, who calls Super Bowl Sunday the most successful national holiday “since Lincoln gave us Thanksgiving,” regards the big broadcast as “three parallel programs.” The first is the game. The second is the “film festival put together by the advertising industry.” Which leaves the neck. While the Super Bowl halftime may be the most-watched musical performance in the world most years, Thompson says, “it is certainly not the most beloved.”

David Hill, the longtime CEO of Fox Sports, describes the halftime show as “America’s multigenerational entertainment for the year.” Precisely. For the NFL, the conundrum of annually choosing the performer is similar to a family—grandparents, parents, kids—trying to agree on one Las Vegas act to see. Don Rickles? Blue Man Group? The Mac King Comedy Magic Show?

The calculus changed radically in 1992, after ice skaters Brian Boitano and Dorothy Hamill got their heads handed to them by In Living Color comedians Keenen and Damon Wayans. CBS’s Nielsen rating dipped from a 42.1 to a 32.8 during that halftime, and the NFL suits had seen enough. Overnight it was decided: The days of jayvee, dinner theater–caliber entertainment were over. The league sent everyone deep. They decided to go after Michael Jackson.

For a month they got nowhere. Steeg sat down with the King of Pop’s manager, Sandy Gallin, 11 months before Super Bowl XXVII. “I remember pitching them,” he says, “and them not really having a clue what we were talking about.” At a subsequent meeting, producer Don Mischer pointed out that the Super Bowl would be broadcast in more than 120 countries. Now he had Jackson’s full attention.

Steeg recalls Jackson saying, “So you’re telling me that this show is going live to all those places where I’ll never do a concert?” A pause. “I’m in.”

The NFL has since ventured outside the category of Old Fogies Rock—and been rewarded for it. The Madonna halftime show two years ago stands as the most-watched ever (112.5 million viewers). Beyoncé came in a close second last February. On both occasions ratings edged upward as the teams broke for halftime.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:20 pm 

Thiefery wrote:
If anybody pays it will be young up and coming acts who most of us won't know until they perform.

Yep. And maybe throw in something, errrr, "unapproved" to generate additional buzz since it's no longer an "honor" bestowed but a paid avertisement. I can see all this backfiring badly for the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:43 pm 

It's absolutely a money grab from the NFL that has no justification whatsoever. You want to collect money later, pay me less now instead. You offer less, you'll get what you pay for.

Just like the venues charging a percentage of the merch sales and charging back advertising buys at full price even though they get a discount and kickback under the table.

If anybody can afford the top end entertainment to keep it's ratings high around the world, it's the NFL.