It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NFL out for more money...from Super Bowl halftime perfor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:09 pm 

True. move away from mass market and there is plenty of good stuff.

As a football fan, I've heard enough Johnny Football, Michael Sam, Nick Saban, Peyton Manning, etc. for a lifetime. seems like 2% of the landscape gets 98% of the coverage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:12 pm 
Still Lit wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
Zivco wrote:
It's an American Idol/Disney star world.

Art no longer exists in America...it's homogenized, cookie cutter, corporate, google searched, boy band, female buying power world in music, film, and literature the past 15 years or so...and sport is falling in line.

Shit, I'm agreeing with a Zivco cultural rant. Worlds colliding. Cats and dogs, etc etc you get the picture.

Art is alive and well in America. Go to your nearest metropolitan modern art museum or playhouse. Good music is alive and well, go to your local music head store. American Literature is certainly still alive and well. Misplaced doom and gloom. For instance, pm StillMadatSlobber. He'll be happy to tell you about how Houston has a thriving art seen and museum district an world class symphony just like most major American cities, with a substantial part of the public that supports it. Pittsburgh has a thriving art community as well. Nothing but a rant against popular culture, but popular culture has been around since mass media and high art has sustained itself just fine in the face of it. Nothing to see here.

Lit, I use the term Art as it applies to popular culture. Andy pretty much threw the dirt on the art you speak of...just fucking with you there. No doubt that the museums and libraries are still viable travel destinations...But I'm not being a hypermasculine cretin here...I look at the state of music today and it's just shit. I just can't see the Arcade Fires and the Vampire Weekends and the arctic monkeys and fucking Kanye idiot as carrying the "rock" torch. Even you dig in the past to find something good. Lowest point since the time between Physical Graffiti and Back in Black...and it's lasted like three times as long. I'll find something good after much searching...but it's been Rival Sons, Winery Dogs, Killer Mike, Transatlantic and that's about it the past 5 years.

It might be a surprise but I read a decent amount of fiction. Every year I look at the Times best seller list to broaden my horizons...shock, horror I've found and enjoyed guys like Foster Wallace, Eggars, Coupland, Welsh...a bit more adventurous then you might suspect...but for the past few years it's been shit for new authors...50 different shades of kinky, hard fucks, romanticized vampires, and third world strife that's suppose to move me...but is tedious beyond math. Not to mention the feel good bios of every kunt ceo whoever had a company go public.

Film...well I'm into Scorsese, Tarantino, Rodriguez, all the obvious suspects...hell I'm a fan of Altman, Malek on occasion and Spike Lee is damn good when he isn't concerned with message...but virtually everything that has come out recently has sucked.

To my senses it's a fucking teenie bopper wasteland out there these days...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:03 pm 

The andersons (Paul and Wes) make some interesting films, but the guy who can really do it is Luc Besson. It's true, though, that the director as auteur is a dying form-- Scorsese, Soderbergh, Tarantino, et al are all 50+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:06 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Thiefery wrote:
If anybody pays it will be young up and coming acts who most of us won't know until they perform.

Yep. And maybe throw in something, errrr, "unapproved" to generate additional buzz since it's no longer an "honor" bestowed but a paid avertisement. I can see all this backfiring badly for the NFL.

Only flaw there is up-and-coming artists can't afford to give anyone a portion of their take at a concert, and the NFL won't go for brand names. Hence why it's going to be acts like Madonna who put up money. Anyone remember Madonna's last hit single? Gotta keep that train rolling. She has minions to feed.

You're more likely to get some group like Disney buying its kid stars on stage and over the hill rockers with lots of name recognition and brand appeal. Because you can't damn well sell advertising and sponsors against the halftime show if no one has heard of the band. In Roger's world, it's about the family. Which means you have to bring in the moms.

But it will backfire badly for the NFL in every sense of the word.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:26 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
The andersons (Paul and Wes) make some interesting films, but the guy who can really do it is Luc Besson. It's true, though, that the director as auteur is a dying form-- Scorsese, Soderbergh, Tarantino, et al are all 50+

Darren Aranovski, Edgar Wright, Christopher Nolan. There are some kickass under-50 directors out there making great movies (btw, I would also add the Coen Brothers to your list.). If you venture outside the English speaking world, you can find directors like Fernando Meirelles & Alexander Sokurov. Sure, there is alot of crap out there, but what era hasn't had its fair share of crap?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:48 pm 
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Soderbergh is hit and miss for me...but he came out of "retirement" to do the Knick for scinemax and it's pretty good 2 episodes in.

I did overlook the Coens...but all losers since No Country...imo. But really the only other directors that gets my attention is Danny Boyle and PT Anderson.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:00 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Sure, there is alot of crap out there, but what era hasn't had its fair share of crap?

THIS. Every generation mythologizes the good ol' days that never existed. Music, literature and film is doing just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:22 pm 
Still Lit wrote:
Pabst wrote:
Sure, there is alot of crap out there, but what era hasn't had its fair share of crap?

THIS. Every generation mythologizes the good ol' days that never existed. Music, literature and film is doing just fine.

:lol: Lit, you have a point...to some degree. But I don't think I have bitter old fuck syndrome yet either.
\
There really hasn't been a good crime flick since The Departed. 30 days of Night and 28 days later stand out as the only good horror/suspense. Recently I've liked Old Boy, Dredd, and Carnage was lights out as far as comedy drama goes...but I literally fall a sleep on most of this shit recently.

I went through the Pitchfork top 200 tracks of the decade...One fucking good song. Don't get me wrong...I'll recognize bubblegum pop as good if the hook is there...what I'm saying is even the music I don't like is bad.

And the writing...good god is the fiction poor.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:31 pm 

Zivco, you remind me of a director I neglected... Really like all three of Ben Affleck's films, two of which are excellent crime films and the third not a bad suspense couple of hours, regardless of the politics and toying with the facts.

By the way, don't look now, but Chris Nolan and Aronofsky are both mid 40s. I stood behind Aronofsky at a coffee shop in Iceland... I'm a fan and couldn't place his face, even though I deduced that he was in the film business.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:06 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
Zivco wrote:
It's an American Idol/Disney star world.

Art no longer exists in America...it's homogenized, cookie cutter, corporate, google searched, boy band, female buying power world in music, film, and literature the past 15 years or so...and sport is falling in line.

Shit, I'm agreeing with a Zivco cultural rant. Worlds colliding. Cats and dogs, etc etc you get the picture.

Art is alive and well in America. Go to your nearest metropolitan modern art museum or playhouse. Good music is alive and well, go to your local music head store. American Literature is certainly still alive and well. Misplaced doom and gloom. For instance, pm StillMadatSlobber. He'll be happy to tell you about how Houston has a thriving art seen and museum district an world class symphony just like most major American cities, with a substantial part of the public that supports it. Pittsburgh has a thriving art community as well. Nothing but a rant against popular culture, but popular culture has been around since mass media and high art has sustained itself just fine in the face of it. Nothing to see here.

You're definitely right about Pittsburgh's art scene. My old college roommate is a phenomenal painter who does a lot of Pittsburgh city-scapes. And chances are you've seen his work around town at various establishments.

http://corybonnet.com/portfolio.html

If you're looking for art, you won't find it in the mainstream avenues these days. You're going to have to go to the source to enjoy it. The studios, the galleries, the clubs, the theaters, etc.

As for the NFL in this context, It just comes across as more greed to my eyes. While the artist may have something to gain by playing the show, the NFL is gaining too by keeping eyeballs on their telecast for them and their advertisers. I hate the NFL as much as I hate companies like Monsanto. I hope I get to see the league crumble in my lifetime.

And I thought The Conjuring was a great modern horror flick. Watch that by yourself with the lights off. Best paranormal film since the original Poltergeist IMO.