It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elon Musk’s affordable Tesla: $35K, 300 miles, 0-60 < 4 sec.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:07 pm 

Quote:
Elon Musk’s affordable Tesla specs leaked: New $35,000 Model 3 will go from 0-60 in under 4 seconds and have 300 mile range

Source also said it will be a smaller hybrid of the Model X and S
Will be 20% shorter than the S, placing it in same segment as Audi A4
The first Model 3s are to be delivered by 2017 in US, and 2018 in Europe
The car will be unveiled tomorrow at 11.30pm ET Hawthorne, California

By Ellie Zolfagharifard For Dailymail.com

Published: 12:12 EST, 30 March 2016 | Updated: 13:10 EST, 30 March 2016

Up until now, very little has been known about Tesla's Model 3, which is due to be unveiled tomorrow.

Now, a source speaking to motoring site Electrek has provided what it claims to be new details on the much-anticipated car.

The source claims that the Model 3 will be able to go from 0-60 in under four seconds and have range options reaching more than 300 miles.

The Model 3 is a pitch to middle class drivers and a key component in founder (pictured) Elon Musk's vision to mainstream the electric car. It is Tesla's first mass market car, and the billionaire believes it will help Tesla deliver 500,000 vehicles a year by 2020

WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR

The Model is expected to sell for $35,000 - half the base price of the flagship Model S.

It will be 20 per cent shorter than the S, placing it in the same segment as the Audi A4.

It will also have four-wheel drive, according to people close to the matter.

A source speaking to Electrek recently added that the Model 3 will be able to go from 0-60 in under four seconds.

It will have range options reaching in more than 300 miles.

They also said the car is slightly taller sedan with a unique front that looks more like a Model X.

The first Model 3s are to be delivered by the end of 2017 in the US, and 2018 in Europe.

Consumers can pre-order the vehicles starting March 31 for a deposit of $1,000 or 1,000 euros ($1,100).

'The biggest news: According to a source who has seen the design that will be shown off tomorrow, it looks like a smaller hybrid of the Model X and S,' the website writes.

The source said that the car is a slightly taller sedan with a unique front that looks more like a Model X.

But, according to the rumours, the car is shorter and narrower than either the Model X or S.

'The person who saw it said that they didn't like the look of the X initially and only came around to liking it when the Falcon Wing doors were exhibited,' Seth Weintraub at Electrek writes.

'This person instantly fell in love with the design of the Model 3, however, saying 'It seems so right''.

According to Weintraub, at least one version of the car will get up to 300 miles per charge driving at highway speeds, which could get rid of 'range anxiety' among drivers.

Meanwhile, the site says the price tag on the high end version of the Model 3 grows significantly twith estimates in the $50-$60,000 range.

Yesterday, Tesla founder Elon Musk tweeted his excitement about the launch, posting a CNBC poll that showed 55 per cent of people would put a $1,000 deposit on Tesla Model 3, and go through with buying it.

'Looks like we may need to increase production plans for the Model 3,' he wrote.

The source said that the car is a taller sedan with a unique front that looks more like a Model X (pictured)

According to the latest rumours, Model 3 is shorter and narrower than either the model X or S (pictured)

The Model 3 is a pitch to middle class drivers and a key component in founder Elon Musk's vision to mainstream the electric car.

It is Tesla's first mass market car, and the billionaire believes it will help Tesla deliver 500,000 vehicles a year by 2020.

Tesla , until now a purveyor of luxurious all-electric cars with equally luxurious price-tags, plans to sell the Model 3 for $35,000 - half the base price of the flagship Model S.

TESLA'S MODEL 3 TO GO HEAD TO HEAD WITH GM'S CHEVROLET BOLT
Tesla faces direct competition from the soon to be released 200-mile range Chevrolet Bolt, which will have a one-year head start on the Model 3 in getting the attention of consumers looking for a moderately priced EV.

Darin Gesse, product marketing manager for Chevrolet's electrification division, admitted 'There is a cachet and a brand image' at Tesla.

Nevertheless, he said, 'We also know Chevrolet has a brand image. We have shown that our customers have been the most happy in the country. Our battery is solid. We have confidence.'

Brauer said the Bolt's earlier debut could pose problems for Tesla. 'If it would have hit now, it would have been a game-changer as first to market,' Brauer said. 'Now it's going to be the second to arrive after the Bolt.'

Analysts say the new car is critical to Tesla at a time when cheap gasoline is challenging all green cars.

The move comes as rival General Motors stakes its claim on the electric vehicle middle market with its new Chevrolet Bolt.

'The Model 3 is really the measure if Tesla is going to make it long-term as a car company,' said Jessica Caldwell, an analyst at the auto industry website Edmunds.com.

Fans are already lining up outside Tesla stores in anticipation of the Model 3 arrival. Pictured is a Model 3 custom tent in Montreal

Rumours suggests at least one version of the car will get up to 300 miles per charge driving at highway speeds, which could get rid of 'range anxiety' among drivers. Pictured is a Model S

Yesterday, Elon Musk tweeted a poll that showing 55 per cent would put a $1,000 deposit on the Model 3

'If they want to bring the EV to the mass market they need the Model 3 to be successful.'

The Model 3 will be about 20 percent shorter than the S, placing it in the same segment as the Audi A4.

It will also have four-wheel drive, according to people close to the matter.

The car is expected to be able to travel up to 300 miles (500km) without being recharged, depending on the battery system chosen, and will include modern safety systems such as Autopilot.

The first Model 3s are to be delivered by the end of 2017 in the US, and 2018 in Europe.

Consumers can pre-order the vehicles starting March 31 for a deposit of $1,000 or 1,000 euros ($1,100).

Tesla launched its electric car campaign in 2008 Roadster sports car, constructed on the chassis of a Lotus. It then moved into luxury vehicles with Model S, followed by the Model X crossover.

The Model 3 is the logical next step.

'This is their chance to prove that they are not just a specialized niche automaker, but actually a long-term volume automaker,' said Karl Brauer, analyst at Kelley Blue Book.

'They have to establish that they can build a high-quality volume vehicle.'

The group also must demonstrate that it has learned the lessons of past launches, which were marred by significant delays, as when the difficulties with the gull wing doors pushed back the timeframe on the Model X.

Model 3 is set to be unveiled tomorrow at 11:30pm ET at Tesla's designs studio in Hawthorne California. Tesla has not yet responded to DailyMail.com for comment on the latest rumours.

The much anticipated Tesla Model 3 will be unveiled on March 31, with production and deliveries to start in late 2017. Elon Musk tweeted the announcement this week, and added that March reservations will require a $1,000 deposit and a visit to a Tesla store

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3515987/Elon-Musk-s-affordable-Tesla-specs-leaked-New-35-000-Model-3-0-60-4-seconds-300-mile-range.html

Post subject: Re: Elon Musk’s affordable Tesla: $35K, 300 miles, 0-60 < 4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:28 am 

Awesome. I seriously looked into buying an electric car. The range wasn't there for my commute. Well, it was, but then after further research, I realized that in the winter months, if I wanted to use the car heater, I'd be pushing it. Anyway, 200 mile range would be awesome...300 would be incredible. It's all about the price point though. What are those new Chevy Bolts going for?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:49 pm 

If this one has a 300 m range why fool around with the Volt? Ultimately, hybrids are transitional because two drive trains make no sense. Plus the Leaf is cheaper and a better car anyway if range isn't an issue.

Once you go electric you never go back.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:21 pm 

Electric cars should have am irony meter showing pounds of coal loaded.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:23 pm 

Very tempted to reserve one tonight. $1,000, refundable. Hard to see the downside.

Would have done it in store today but the nearest Tesla store is hour 15 away.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:07 pm 

"Electric cars should have am irony meter showing pounds of coal loaded."

This is absolutely true if you live in WVa or Indiana.

Electric cars will not save the planet. That is not why you buy one. It's the driving experience. Acceleration is linear and there will be no car in that price range with that kind of performance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:02 am 

Very nice. I was a bit disappointed by the look of the X.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:28 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
If this one has a 300 m range why fool around with the Volt? Ultimately, hybrids are transitional because two drive trains make no sense. Plus the Leaf is cheaper and a better car anyway if range isn't an issue.

Once you go electric you never go back.

I meant the Bolt. How much are the Bolts going for? I'm not a big car guy. It's a way to get from point A to point B for me. I refuse to tie up a lot of money in a car. Even though I'm not a car guy, the leaf is just a hideous looking vehicle. I just don't get it. What are they thinking?

Quote:
Electric cars should have am irony meter showing pounds of coal loaded.

I'd buy electric to save me money and maintenance costs. No other reason. If the price point doesn't work, I'll wait.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:39 am 

Beautiful.

Very Porsche like.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:03 am 

RS I think this reveal answers the question...there's no reason too fool around with any other model if this is coming out for 35K.

The problem is this won't be ready for two years.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:57 pm 

Good looking vehicle. I'm getting ready for a new car in a year or two, so this could be a winner. But 300+ mile range (which I believe is an upgrade) would be pushing practical as my only car.

I've always wondered about profitability on vehicles with such a huge range of upgrades/options....Because fully-loaded this thing is suppposed to top $60k, and do people want to pay $60k for a vehicle most people think only cost them $35k?

Not that I expect $35k to be a price hardly anyone walks out the door with. Upgraded range, leather & audio package....I bet we are talking more like $42k at least. Still a good price IMO for what you are getting.

Tesla really needs this model to take off as they are still losing money, despite massive govt subsidies, on each vehicle they sell. This is the car that makes or breaks the company...but looking and sounding like it will be a winner.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:03 pm 

So I thought, hey the Model X crossover looks pretty sweet....then I see it starts at like $130k.

Yeah, no thanks. Would rather get the BMW SUV for half the price.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:28 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
RS I think this reveal answers the question...there's no reason too fool around with any other model if this is coming out for 35K.

Do they still get scraped when the batteries die? That's a big do not buy in my book..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:43 pm 

SteelerzEdsaL7 wrote:
Do they still get scraped when the batteries die? That's a big do not buy in my book..

I thought this was still a huge "unexpected" cost, but it seems the batteries last at least 8 years, or well in excess of 100k miles. And they are done at that point, but like your laptop batteries might only have 60% capacity (dropping the range from 300 miles to 180 on a single charge).

I may have read an old article, but another issue is recharging. Let's say you go on a long trip to visit friends or family. You're only option may be a standard 120V outlet, which in 16 hours provides only about 80 miles of range! Even with a supercharging station, it can take over an hour for a full charge.

So it's really not particularly practical for anything more than relatively short commutes. Now, at home if you install a 240V outlet, then you can easily get a full charge overnight. There are other options to speed things up even further, like dual-chargers and high power outlets, but now we're talking significant incremental cost to only halve the charging time to just under 5 hours.

For a commuting vehicle, it may be alright. But if you're stuck with a 120V at home and no way to charge while it sits in the parking lot at work, then you're really pushing things....I figure if you charge it religiously at home, you'd manage maybe 80 hours of charging a week which gets you a range of 400 miles per week.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:49 am 

Kodiak wrote:
SteelerzEdsaL7 wrote:

I thought this was still a huge "unexpected" cost, but it seems the batteries last at least 8 years, or well in excess of 100k miles. And they are done at that point, but like your laptop batteries might only have 60% capacity (dropping the range from 300 miles to 180 on a single charge).

I may have read an old article, but another issue is recharging. Let's say you go on a long trip to visit friends or family. You're only option may be a standard 120V outlet, which in 16 hours provides only about 80 miles of range! Even with a supercharging station, it can take over an hour for a full charge.

So it's really not particularly practical for anything more than relatively short commutes. Now, at home if you install a 240V outlet, then you can easily get a full charge overnight. There are other options to speed things up even further, like dual-chargers and high power outlets, but now we're talking significant incremental cost to only halve the charging time to just under 5 hours.

For a commuting vehicle, it may be alright. But if you're stuck with a 120V at home and no way to charge while it sits in the parking lot at work, then you're really pushing things....I figure if you charge it religiously at home, you'd manage maybe 80 hours of charging a week which gets you a range of 400 miles per week.

As far as the 220/ 240 outlet goes, you can do that yourself.

youtube is your friend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:43 am 

SteelerzEdsaL7 wrote:

youtube is your friend.

Oh, yeahhhhhhhh.....fucking with electricity after watching a youtube video is a really good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:32 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
SteelerzEdsaL7 wrote:

youtube is your friend.

Oh, yeahhhhhhhh.....fucking with electricity after watching a youtube video is a really good idea.
:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:46 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

I can agree with a few exceptions.

Will the actual price be comparable to a Bolt? I've read that most Tesla buyers will be looking at closer to 50k out the door

Do you want to wait 2 years until you get one? They are saying late 2017 will be when the Model 3's start going out to regular customers. If they say late 2017 more than likely it will be closer to mid 2018.

Either way. Electric is coming. I just read an article that the price per KW on the batteries has dropped 65% since 2012. By 2022, EV's are expected to be cheaper than internal combustion vehicles.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:27 pm 

Interior of the 3 is awful, in my opinion.

No physical buttons is a huge mistake. At least give me some steering wheel buttons. Trying to mess around with a touchscreen while driving is irritating, and voice recognition just isn't there yet.

No gauges? Terrible idea, even if their plan is to put the gauges on that center screen.

And that center screen is way too wide to be practical. I'm sure important buttons will be laid out on the left side, but still. You can see on the screenshot it looks like some functions are still on the right side, and the driver will never comfortably be able to reach that.

That, and I'm just not a fan of the "tacked on tablet" look.

Now, there are differing reports on if that interior is the final design or not. A Tesla PR person at the event said the final product would be very similar, while Musk himself said in a Tweet that he has some surprises in store for the interior (heads up display?).

But I don't like the current state of it at all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:12 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Interior of the 3 is awful, in my opinion.

No physical buttons is a huge mistake.

I don't like that you have to take your eyes further off the road (relative to the traditional layout) to see basics like MPH and fuel gauges. And what about setting cruise control?

I would have walked away about 2 seconds after seeing that.

I guess I can see the though process with voice controls. Although I disagree it's not there yet, having to shout commands at your IP would be a nuisance to conversations with passengers in your car.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:41 am 

Give me buttons & knobs. Not too few but not too any either.

I like the enterior on Infiniti's new Q70. The tech is there but it retains classic design features.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:21 am 

Electric cars are making progress, but still not quite there. The issues with charging on long road trips and the battery losing life over time are too much for me to consider an electric.

I like the 2014 Infiniti Q50s. I'll be in the market for my next car in a couple years and will be looking to land one of those for $20-$25K, loaded up nice. Straight cash homie.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:26 pm 

Y-Town Steel wrote:
Electric cars are making progress, but still not quite there. The issues with charging on long road trips and the battery losing life over time are too much for me to consider an electric.

What issues? What driving habits do you have that you need to drive 200+ miles without having an hour to stop and charge up?

Not criticizing your criticism, just very curious.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:07 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
SteelerzEdsaL7 wrote:

youtube is your friend.

:lol: :lol:

Well I have, it wasn't exactly hard to do either. Just had to have a plan. So now I have 220 out to the garage and patio. To be honest I do a lot of things using it that otherwise I would be sort of scratching my head.

About two weeks ago the lawn tractor refused to start. It turned out I needed to adjusted the valves. Something that I haven't done in years. Certainly not on that little B&S one cylinder engine. Yep youtube: did the diagnosis and how to. Don't laugh, plenty of people do some pretty good how to's on youtube.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:00 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
Y-Town Steel wrote:

What issues? What driving habits do you have that you need to drive 200+ miles without having an hour to stop and charge up?

Not criticizing your criticism, just very curious.

Well, I'm not sure how to make that any clearer. Who the fuck wants to stop for an hour to charge their car on long drives?

My two favorite fishing spots and everywhere I go to ski is 200+ miles away, off the top of my head. I'd have to stop to charge twice on those round trips. Fuck that noise.