It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unique bridges around the world
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:50 am 

Designed by architect Rafael Viñoly, the curved design was chosen to force drivers to slow down, according to TechInsider. (Flickr/Jimmy Baikovicius)

Designed by architect Wilkinson Eyre, the bridge features two 75-foot-tall triangular lifting leaves, both powered by hydraulic rams that can open the bridge up to 15 times a day to allow for the passage of boats through the channel. (Flickr/Tanya Hart)

Two footbridges and an artificial 'island' built in the shape of a seashell connect the two banks of the Mur river in Graz, Austria. The island holds a cafe, children's playground and even a amphitheater. (Wikimedia/Taxiarchos228)

The Rolling Bridge at Paddington Basin, London is the only one of its type known to be in existence. When extended, it resembles a typical steel and timber footbridge. When retracted to allow the passage of boats, the bridge curls up until its two ends join, forming an octagonal shape. (Flickr/Cristina Bejarano)

The roller coaster-like Eshima Ohashi bridge, located in the Chugoku region of Honshu, Japan, has a gradient of 6.1 percent on one side and 5.1 percent on another. It spans one mile across Lake Nakaumi linking cities of Matsue and Sakaiminato. (The Asahi Shimbun via Getty Images)

The Dragon Bridge, which spans the River Han in Da Nang, Vietnam, was built in the shape of a dragon and designed to 'breathe' fire every night at 9 p.m. (YouTube/Thang Binh Nguyen)

The Lego Bridge in Wuppertal, Germany is actually a concrete beam bridge repainted in 2011 in the style of Lego bricks by graffiti and street artist Martin Heuwold. (Wikimedia/Atamari)

Members of the Khasi tribe have trained the 'living root bridges' of Meghalaya, India to grow from the roots of ancient rubber trees, native to the northeast region. The bridges are tangles of massive thick roots, which have been intermingled to form a bridge that can hold several people at a time. (Flickr/Ashwin Kumar)

The Banpo Bridge Rainbow Fountain is a two-tiered bridge spanning the Han River in Seoul. It is the world's longest bridge fountain, lined with 380 water jets that shoot around 190 tons of recycled river water per minute. It also features an array of multi-colored lights. (Gu Gyobok/Seoul Metropolitan Government)

Also known as the 'Flying Drawbridge,' the Slaurhoffbrug is a movable bridge in Leeuwarden in the Netherlands that uses two arms to swing a section of the road in and out of place to let ships through. (Wikimedia/Leineabstiegsschleuse)

Post subject: Re: Unique bridges around the world
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:51 am 

The 'sunken' Moses Bridge, designed by RO & AD Architects, is part of Fort De Roovere near Halsteren, Netherlands and is named as such because it literally parts the waters that surround the fort, allowing pedestrians to pass through. (Flickr/Forgemind Archemedia)

Singapore's Henderson Waves Bridge, which resembles the form of waves or an undulating snake, stands nearly 120 feet above the road, making it the highest pedestrian bridge in the country. It was built to connect three parks. (Wikimedia/Kok Leng Yeo)

The Millennium Bridge, a pedestrian and cyclist bridge spanning the River Tyne in England, is the world's first and only tilting bridge. Two large hydraulic rams at each side tilt the structure back allowing boats to pass under. It takes approximately four minutes to rotate the weight of the structure to its fully open position. (Stu Forster/Getty Images)

Øresund Bridge crosses Øresund strait to link Sweden and Denmark. It runs nearly 5 miles from the Swedish coast to the artificial island, beginning as a cable-stayed bridge and ending as a tunnel in the artificial island of Peberholm, which lies in the middle of the strait. (NASA)

One of the most unusual bridges in Amsterdam, the Python Bridge has a red snake-like shape and spans the canal between Sporenburg and Borneo Island. It was built in 2001 and won the International Footbridge Award in 2002. (Flickr/Rory Hyde)

The Falkirk Wheel is a rotating boat lift in Scotland, connecting the Forth and Clyde Canal with the Union Canal. The wheel was designed to carry two boats up and two boats down the 114ft drop in level between two canals in just 15 minutes. (Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)

The Octavio Frias de Oliveira bridge is a cable-stayed bridge in São Paulo, Brazil over the Pinheiros River. The bridge deck is unusual due to its form, which is similar to an 'X,' crossing at the tower. At the end of December lights are put up on the cables and illuminated to create color effects like those on a Christmas tree. (Wikimedia/Marcosleal)

Built for the 'Sculpture by the Sea' festival in Aarhus, Denmark by architecture firm Gjøde & Povlsgaard Arkitekter, the Infinite Bridge is a circular walkable bridge that extends more than 100 feet over a bay. (YouTube/Aarhus |Billeder)

from
https://weather.com/travel/news/weirdest-bridges-world-photos-20140730

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:57 pm 

Yet you forgot the ultimate architectural and aesthetic wonder, the Trenton Makes Bridge:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:54 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Yet you forgot the ultimate architectural and aesthetic wonder, the Trenton Makes Bridge:

umm, maybe ... not.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:31 am 

That bridge in Japan with the steep grades is f'n frightening.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:16 pm 

Cool and interesting.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:09 pm 

Luca Brasi wrote:

Near Richmond, the I-95/VA 895 interchange features some spectacularly tall ramps. drivers have been known to pause their cars in fear while on them.

In this YouTube video, you kind of can get a sense as to how tall they are. Leaving it as a link so you can go there and view it full-screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuzVDi4MfUU

I've been by this interchange a lot...believe me when I tell you the ramps are taller than they look in that video.

I've never had occasion to drive on them yet, though.

Some other pictures of them can be seen at the link below.

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/va/i-95/1.html

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:13 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:

Near Richmond, the I-95/VA 895 interchange features some spectacularly tall ramps. drivers have been known to pause their cars in fear while on them.

In this YouTube video, you kind of can get a sense as to how tall they are. Leaving it as a link so you can go there and view it full-screen.

I've been by this interchange a lot...believe me when I tell you the ramps are taller than they look in that video.

That video is mesmerizing.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:05 pm 

Sunshine Skyway is cool to see and drive over

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:08 am 

No mention of the Rankin bridge?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:12 pm 

Never driven on the Sunshine Skyway, but passed underneath it on a Carnival cruise ship.

Was fun...got the optical illusion of the whale tail looking like it was going to clip the bridge, when of course there was plenty of clearance.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:27 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:

God help those people if they ever have to drive around Houston. They really enjoy building tall interchanges down here.

59 & 45

I-10 and Beltway 8

And in Dallas The High 5 interchange. Some parts are as tall as a 12 story building.