It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Guns N' Roses Concert
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:38 pm 

Beyond Driven was the tour. 1993... Pantera had great energetic shows.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:11 am 

OhioSteeler wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Glad you had a great time at their show. I can tell you I saw them back in the day and they weren't IMO all that great. Their one and only good album IMO was Appetite for Destruction in 1987. I saw them at a "Day on the Green" at the Oakland Coliseum in 1992 and they didn't fare that well. Body Count (Ice T metal band) and Soundgarden opened for Metallica and GnR. Those three put on a Killer show. GnR didn't start their set for nearly 2 hours after Metallica stopped playing their set. Fans were very infuriated with their stage antics. The crowd tore up the sod in the outfield causing 100's of thousands of dollars in damage. So you had to duck not only bottles, cans, plastic cups (sometimes with beer still in them. Or what we hoped was beer.) you had to dodge clumps of sod raining down. It sucked. Their set wasn't even that long either. I want to say maybe half dozen songs IIRC. I swore I'd never go and support them ever again. I began referring to them as ghosts and rumors from that point on. Again, not to jack up the thread. I'm glad you had a better experience than I did. Wish Pantera was still touring w/dime...

That's the one band I wish I could have seen. My two uncles saw them with White Zombie and Sepultura.

Saw them a bunch of times.

Once with Black Sabbath and I got third row seats and ended up with some guitar picks. The Deftones were to open the show but they had their equipment stolen the night before in Philadelphia.

Great live band.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:51 pm 

I saw Gn'R on the epic Guns/Metallica tour at the LA Coliseum w/ Motorhead as the opening act. This was after Montreal where James was burned by the pyro and they had John Marshall on rhythm guitar. And despite that, Metallica still blew Gn'R clear off the stage. That's not to say Guns wasn't awesome (they were), but it's a testament to how great a live band Metallica was in their prime. Nobody could touch them, and nobody will ever convince me otherwise having seen them over 20 times over the last 20+ years.

I was ready to hate this Gn'R tour, but I must admit the clips i'm seeing are awesome. They sound great. And now they've got Steven back in the fold to some degree (probably to gauge his reliability). That said, no way i'm paying those ticket prices to to see them. I saw them at their peak with Metallica for like $70 and no way i'm paying 2-3 times that amount for the 50 year old versions. But I do still believe they were overambitious in booking a US stadium tour, lots of empty seats. They don't have that clout in the States anymore. But they'll do really huge numbers outside the US no doubt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:08 am 

They were just in SF on Tuesday. Got an invite from someone who had box seats. Wouldn't have cost me a thing.

Had to turn them down. Wife just had some major major surgery so stretched really thin right now with shit in general.

Would have like to see them again. Saw them years ago at their peak.

Not the same music but had a Vegas trip planned to take wife and daughter to see Britney. Far from my type of music but hey, it's Britney. So I'd have no problem watching her shake it for a couple hours. Had to bail on that too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:51 pm 

955876 wrote:
They were just in SF on Tuesday. Got an invite from someone who had box seats. Wouldn't have cost me a thing.

Had to turn them down. Wife just had some major major surgery so stretched really thin right now with shit in general.

Would have like to see them again. Saw them years ago at their peak.

Not the same music but had a Vegas trip planned to take wife and daughter to see Britney. Far from my type of music but hey, it's Britney. So I'd have no problem watching her shake it for a couple hours. Had to bail on that too.

Damn man. Hope the wifes surgery was successful.

Never seen Pantera, Gun n Roses or Motorhead. Man what an epic fail on me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:40 pm 

Always wanted to see Motörhead. RIP Lemmy.

And the surgery did go well. Thanks for the thoughts.

She was diagnosed with an anaplastic astrocytoma recently. In layman's terms, it's a cancerous brain tumor. This was her second brain surgery in the past year. The first though was far less invasive as they just went in far enough to remove a sample to get the pathology to diagnose.

This time they went in to remove it. Something's her original doctor said was not possible. Said it was inoperable. The new doctor disagreed. Said he could get it.

Surgery took about 8 hours of which she had to be awake for most of it. After doing the incision and sawing through the skull to remove a portion they bring you out of anesthesia. Patient has to be awake so they surgeon can communicate with them. They stimulate where they want to cut with electrical current. If it disrupts her speech they know they can't cut. If it doesn't, they can remove. Also used an experimental drug not yet FDA approved here in U.S. Brain surgeons have been utilizing it in Europe for the past few years. Interacts with the abnormal cells differently than normal cells. Lights the abnormal cells up like a Christmas tree. Makes them actually glow bright pink. Helps the surgeon see borders that otherwise might not be possible to recognize.

He got it out. Nasty thing is sitting in a pathology lab somewhere and not in her brain. Now we just monitor and hope/pray there isn't a recurrence. The textbook says these things almost always come back though.

We are utilizing some non-traditional therapies that will hopefully aid in preventing further growth.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:27 am 

955876 wrote:

She was diagnosed with an anaplastic astrocytoma recently. In layman's terms, it's a cancerous brain tumor. This was her second brain surgery in the past year. The first though was far less invasive as they just went in far enough to remove a sample to get the pathology to diagnose.

This time they went in to remove it. Something's her original doctor said was not possible. Said it was inoperable. The new doctor disagreed. Said he could get it.

Surgery took about 8 hours of which she had to be awake for most of it. After doing the incision and sawing through the skull to remove a portion they bring you out of anesthesia. Patient has to be awake so they surgeon can communicate with them. They stimulate where they want to cut with electrical current. If it disrupts her speech they know they can't cut. If it doesn't, they can remove. Also used an experimental drug not yet FDA approved here in U.S. Brain surgeons have been utilizing it in Europe for the past few years. Interacts with the abnormal cells differently than normal cells. Lights the abnormal cells up like a Christmas tree. Makes them actually glow bright pink. Helps the surgeon see borders that otherwise might not be possible to recognize.

He got it out. Nasty thing is sitting in a pathology lab somewhere and not in her brain. Now we just monitor and hope/pray there isn't a recurrence. The textbook says these things almost always come back though.

We are utilizing some non-traditional therapies that will hopefully aid in preventing further growth.

Wow. Technology is amazing. Hoping for nothing but positives for you and yours man.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:37 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
955876 wrote:

Wow. Technology is amazing. Hoping for nothing but positives for you and yours man.

Fascinating. Best wishes to you and your wife going forward. And kudos to going beyond what one medical person thought and seeking more alternatives.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:38 pm 

Thanks for the thoughts.

The first team of doctors essentially said go live your life. That it couldn't be removed and that there was no medical cure at this point in time. Chemo & radiation would hopefully slow it but was not curative. It would be a matter of time.

Obviously not going to be satisfied with that type of "care"...

The chief neurosurgeon where she goes now is considered one of the best in the world. An expert to the experts. And he delivered exactly what he said he was going to do.

Very thankful for being able to have access to that level of care.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:03 am 

Always annoyed with the handcuffs in place in the US. If a family member has something deemed "inoperable" I want them to have access to anything deemed experimental. Yes I realize the risks but I've read far too many stories where the patient and their families don't even have the CHOICE to proceed.

Glad to hear things are positive, 95