It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Coup underway in Turkey
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:05 pm 

superk wrote:
So this thing is being orchestrated from Saylorsburg, PA?!?

Yes according to the Turkish PM

This guy up here has a fortified compound

It's 15 mins from me

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:11 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
superk wrote:

Everyone knows the Poconos are a magnet for radicals...must be the heart-shaped bathtubs...

Ok buttnut

Place isnt really in poconos. It's the blue mountains right along the wind gap ridge Guns abound. Many protesters there all the time

Always sounds of machine gunfire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:13 am 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
superk wrote:

Everyone knows the Poconos are a magnet for radicals...must be the heart-shaped bathtubs...

Ok buttnut

Place isnt really in poconos. It's the blue mountains right along the wind gap ridge Guns abound. Many protesters there all the time

Always sounds of machine gunfire

I thought it was somewhere else- my bad.

I've actually been by there a lot- my kid's Scout troop council's camp (Resica Falls) is up near East Stroudsburg.

BTW, the conspiracy nutters are running with the idea this was a CIA-backed coup attempt because the US is worried Erdogan is going over to the dark side in his attempt to patch things up with Russia following the plane shoot-down incident in November. And that now we're going to bend over backwards to shield Gulen from extradition.

And that the Russian military tipped Erdogan off to the whole deal.

As far as nutter conspiracy theories go...it's not too far-fetched...one of the nutter websites actually said something to this effect...back in December.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:45 am 

Well aside from socalled nutters like Drudge who usually turn out to be more right than the mainstream nonsense. This is a purge, flat out. Also, although the mainstream says its all over, from other sources it looks like the purge has opened a can of worms of Erdogan. Lots of actual rebellion is happening within the power structure.

100 years ago the military became the guardians of secularism in Turkey. Erdogan sees himself as an autocratic Islamic sultan. I'm more comfortable with the military restoring order and taking away the one man one vote once and Islamic forever away from Erdogan. Its in our best interest and peace world wide.

100 years ago is an interesting time in the region. On one hand secularism was ascending but the British also injected Wahabbist Arabia with an even more virulent strain of it which we see today being used as a political tool by Turkey, The Kingdom, NATO and the Obama Admin strategists. Much or interesting than watching Adele or Kim Big Ass or whatever other distraction is thrown on the tube.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:56 pm 

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-07-1 ... nds-21000-

Considering that the US government tried to topple Netanyahu and gave the green light for Iran nukes, no conspiracy theory is out of bounds unless the motive is actually helping US interests.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:03 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
But let's talk of the threat of Russia some more.
Yes, lets talk more about Russia, smartass. First of all, you don’t have a goddamn clue as to what my world view is or whether it will “get us all killed.” Hyperbolic accusations are just silly and meaningless. Mainly said to intellectually masturbate yourself. Everybody is aware that MAD kept the cold war, cold. Putin may be a thug, but he's not stupid.

Global leadership means having some degree of influence over despots and megalomaniacs. Putin fits both categories. I never said jingoism, which is probably what you meant. I wrote ‘US as the sole superpower’ for those conservatives that believe that should be the case, yet continue to praise Putin and his "no bullshit" policy. Besides, even Putin admitted that the US is the only superpower. It seems clear to me that he wants Russia to regain USSR status as an equal and opposing force. Conservative authoritarianism vs democratic liberalism. And that, imo, should be prevented. It’s not America’s responsibility and duty to police Russia. That’s why NATO exists.

I personally don’t think US dominance is sustainable, but it is still in effect for the foreseeable future, and letting Putin have his way like a baby is more destabilizing than stabilizing. Just look at his invasion of Ukraine/ defending Assad/ arms sales to third world countries/ threats to the global economy via energy blackmailing. Putin was reared and trained during the cold war years, and still has that mentality. He’s admitted this himself. And now there is news of a prominent journalist, Pavel Sheremet, being killed by a remote car bomb in Kiev. A journalist that was friends with Nemtsov, who was assassinated right in front of the Kremlin for his critical assessment of Russia and its policies. Sheremet was also critical of Putin and Russian aggression. His list of dead detractors or dissenting views grows.

Placating him like a school yard bully who constantly tests his limits doesn't stabilize anything. It enables the aggression, and innocents continue to suffer. Engagement by his rules is in effect, appeasement. He has not compromised at all. The sanctions have had some effect, but he's signed an energy deal with China, and plans to build gas lines to Pakistan as offsets. Maybe a return to cold war tactics and a bit of marginalization is in order. Occasionally overlooking what Putin does in his “sphere of influence” does in fact affect the west, and you’d be ridiculously naive and narrow minded to think it doesn’t. That mode of thinking is what brought Hitler and Stalin to power.

And I never suggested outright conflict or escalation of nuclear arms, idiot. You know what metaphor is, right?

At any rate, you like to create straw men and take arguments to the extreme to make yourself seem professorial. I forget you do that quite often here and have been called out for it on numerous occasions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:01 pm 

More intrigue:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-07-2 ... was-staged

Erdogan is the Cesare Borgia of the Middle East.