It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plagiarism
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:00 pm 

Here's my take on plagiarism as a second rate academic at a third rate institution.

1. Plagiarism is NOT about intent, but content. Plagiarizing millineals are especially upset upon being told that they are responsible for the content of their work without regard to intent.

2. Plagiarism is the use of language OR ideas that you did not come up with yourself without attribution of the source. The millineal is often surprised that I don't really give a shit whether she or he meant to cut and paste that paragraph.

3. M. Trump is less guilty of plagiarism than the dumb ass on her speech writing team who is probably being flayed alive in the basement of Trump Tower this very moment. However, technically she is guilty since as the presenter of the speech, she assumes responsibility for it (see 1).

4. Generally academics in the liberal arts (which includes maths and unapplied sciences) care most about plagiarism since we don't actually produce anything. All we have are ideas, usually irrelevant to the GDP, and so we are hyper-sensitive about not being given credit for our thought-children.

My sense is that plagiarism is rampant in the real world and only frowned upon when it impacts monetary or career advancement. Since I live in a concrete tower (I'm not talented enough to live in an ivory one), others can chime in on what happens in reality.

Post subject: Re: Plagiarism
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:27 pm 

I have four original thoughts on the subject:

1. Plagiarism is NOT about intent, but content. Plagiarizing millineals are especially upset upon being told that they are responsible for the content of their work without regard to intent.

2. Plagiarism is the use of language OR ideas that you did not come up with yourself without attribution of the source. The millineal is often surprised that I don't really give a shit whether she or he meant to cut and paste that paragraph.

3. M. Trump is less guilty of plagiarism than the dumb ass on her speech writing team who is probably being flayed alive in the basement of Trump Tower this very moment. However, technically she is guilty since as the presenter of the speech, she assumes responsibility for it (see 1).

4. Generally academics in the liberal arts (which includes maths and unapplied sciences) care most about plagiarism since we don't actually produce anything. All we have are ideas, usually irrelevant to the GDP, and so we are hyper-sensitive about not being given credit for our thought-children.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:46 pm 

I'm more disappointed that we expect nothing more from the wives of our candidates than that they give "My husband is a man of morals, and we raised our kids with good values and told them to follow their dreams" speeches.

I'm not surprised there was plagiarism because there's only so many ways you can say that.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:11 am 

Still Lit wrote:
My sense is that plagiarism is rampant in the real world

Ehhh, could be. But the most common plagiarism I see is bluntly obvious and intentional - they forget the attribution, which is wrong, but it's usually so widely known that there is no mistaking it as being passed off as original.

The lesser known stuff, IMO, is usually cited in order to show how worldly or well-read the speaker is. It may be counter-intuitive, but it's more impactful when you attribute that nugget of wisdom rather than just something some suit said. Quoting people is the corporate version of name-dropping.

Politics, yeah, seems you're probably right. But I don't consider that "real world".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:37 am 

I anonymously reported myself for self plagiarism while attending Harvard, leaving me no choice but to expel me.

I landed squarely on my feet though at Boyce Community College and just started boosting exams from the professors offices as they were hitting the ol ski slopes out front....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:09 am 

I have a solution for this plagiarism drama in political speeches. Have the speechwriters deliver the speeches while the "speaker" stands next to them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:32 am 

Dependency on teleprompters and Powerpoint is killing public oratory. Some of the worst offenders are people who are regarded as highly intelligent. It's no wonder people are plagiarizing more because they are cutting and pasting and not thinking.

I'm for teaching freestyle rap as part in high school and college public speaking so that people can communicate on their feet. This is really impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w31jboLYcH4

Imagine him having a conversation with a Kardashian about his next project yet people imitate the way the Kardashians talk.

Besides, forcing students to freestyle rap in front of their peers can add to the numerous vomiting urban legends involving collegiate public speaking courses ("by his fourth speech, half the campus had shown up, eagerly waiting for him to blow chunks")

Also, "like" is the new "um, um, um" and needs to be beaten out of people through practice.

This is more a matter of focus and discipline than IQ and anyone can improve most of all bright individuals who are boring in front of a crowd.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:00 am 

Melania to the Chiefs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:15 am 

meh.......

CNN, MSNBC making a big deal of this, trying to push their candidate.

Funny, crickets regarding Donald Trump JR's speech last night from CNN, MSNBC at least during the recaps that I watched early this morning (5AM).

I thought that kid nailed it. He is more impressive than his daddy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:19 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Also, "like" is the new "um, um, um" and needs to be beaten out of people through practice.

Don't forget "ah", and it's inbread cousin "uhhhhhhh...."