It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Plagiarism
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:23 pm 

The kid and Ivanka are impressive. Frankly I wish that Ivanka were running.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:32 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
The kid and Ivanka are impressive. Frankly I wish that Ivanka were running.

They are. Although Donald Jr. still looks like a d-bag. Family may turn out to be the next Kennedy's. Ivanka is so beautiful and so articulate that it boggles the mind Trump would be her father - he must have done genetic research to determine East European women could cancel out his looks.

I still have my doubts as to how much Trump really raised his kids - I don't buy him having his young kids in bunches of meetings. Hard to picture Trump gallivanting around, looking for wife #2, and running a jet-setting multi-billion dollar business...and still finding quality time with his kids.

Personally, I think those kids were raised by Ivana and nannies.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:47 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Here's my take on plagiarism as a second rate academic at a third rate institution.

4. Generally academics in the liberal arts (which includes maths and unapplied sciences)

Why are you sticking math in liberal arts? I thought math (applied math, etc) was in the college of sciences? Or are you referring to math off shoots like statistics, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:10 pm 

maths in liberal arts, you mean like:

2+2=5 is not incorrect, it's another point of view because the truth is relative

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:04 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
maths in liberal arts, you mean like:

2+2=5 is not incorrect, it's another point of view because the truth is relative

No, I mean unapplied mathematics and unapplied sciences belong to the liberal arts. This is a conservative position. You're confusing post modern humanities with the liberal arts. It is an unfortunate confusion.

Last edited by Still Lit on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:07 pm 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Here's my take on plagiarism as a second rate academic at a third rate institution.

4. Generally academics in the liberal arts (which includes maths and unapplied sciences)

Why are you sticking math in liberal arts? I thought math (applied math, etc) was in the college of sciences? Or are you referring to math off shoots like statistics, etc.

Bc unapplied mathematics and mathematical sciences are liberal arts. Humane letters (humanities) comprise one portion of a liberal education. A genuine liberal arts education requires exposure to mathematics and natural and mathematical sciences. Basically, a great books education. Most universities that claim to be liberal arts institutions are watered down.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:07 pm 

In a world where one can earn an English major without reading Shakespeare, the term liberal arts is meaningless.

As the Bard would say, your typical college admin is “A most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of not one good quality.”

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:47 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
In a world where one can earn an English major without reading Shakespeare, the term liberal arts is meaningless.

As the Bard would say, your typical college admin is “A most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of not one good quality.”

A few programs are sprinkled here and there still. The fire burns yet if somewhat dimly. A genuine liberal arts education does not allow the buffet of choice that passes for a liberal education at most joints. I've mentioned St. John's College previously. That place is amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:09 pm 

Interesting that the flame of the classic liberal arts education is now carried by colleges more than universities.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:57 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Interesting that the flame of the classic liberal arts education is now carried by colleges more than universities.

My speculation on the matter is that universities tend to offer more vocational and professional and specialized degrees, whereas colleges tend to be undergraduate only and smaller and less vocationally concerned. There are plenty of exceptions and often the tag of college and university is meaningless these days.

Check this out. A great books liberal education for K thru 12.

http://www.greatheartsaz.org/downloads/ ... .23.13.pdf