It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Plagiarism
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:36 am 

I think it's also that at universities, profs get lazy and pawn off teaching to grad students. This has been a problem forever.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:43 am 

What do the dots mean for K-5 on that brochure? Based on the pics of those weirdos they will need all the free zone end zone they can get their hands on.....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:09 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
I think it's also that at universities, profs get lazy and pawn off teaching to grad students. This has been a problem forever.

Certainly this is accurate regarding some profs, but there are valid alternative explanations you are ignoring. I speak from what I know about my discipline. Maybe mileage differs for others.

1. At R1 institutions, you are given 1/2 or 2/1 teaching loads. However, you are required and expected to do so much research that teaching cannot be a priority and you were not hired for teaching to be your priority. And the sort that gets tenured at an R1 rarely becomes lazy in my experience. So are R1 profs lazy or are they doing exactly what they were hired to do?

2. In order to get a job teaching, you must demonstrate teaching effectiveness. Unless grads are allowed to teach, they are put in a bad situation. Grad school is professional training and teaching is part of the profession. Further, teaching is typically "pawned" off for lower level courses and grads rarely teach upper division courses. Adjunctification is a greater evil than grads teaching intro and lower level courses.

3. Colleges tend to be teaching focused, but increasingly lower level courses are being handed off to adjuncts bc admin refuse to allocate funds to hire tenure track lines. Only tenured and tenure track can do service functions. Since departments are shrinking, tenured are having to do more service with less help. More service means less time to teach and since admin refuse to allocate funds for new hires, kids get to pay 40k a year to be taught all their intro courses by adjuncts getting paid 3k per course. Which is a joke.

But hey, if you're going to run a college like a business, why pay a PhD 65k a year plus benefits when you can just hire three adjuncts with or without PhDs and pay them 3k a course without benefits? The kids keep shelling out ridiculous amounts of money for a lesser product so what's the problem?

Edit: I should have said like a bad business. But I'll keep the mistake posted for posterity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:27 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

Depends on the school. I think that's true of more research-focused schools. My undergrad was very strong, but not a research or even graduate/PHD oriented program....I had very few GA's teaching my classes (maybe 1 course), and plenty of 20+ year tenured profs...and they all had generous office hours and bent over backwards to be available (many were actively involved in student organizations).

Just a good state school and nothing more. And then I went to one of those elite graduate programs focused on research and PHD's....never had a GA do a single lecture, and actually took multiple classes from nobel winners. And some of those classes were even available to undergrads.

In all honesty, there's really no need for a tenured prof to be teaching 100-level classes, maybe even 200-level. When you're talking basics and fundamentals of those classes, it's about the ability of the instructor more so than their knowledge. And actually, more than a few tenured profs are terrible in lectures.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:44 am 

Still Lit wrote:
But hey, if you're going to run a college like a business, why pay a PhD 65k a year plus benefits when you can just hire three adjuncts with or without PhDs and pay them 3k a course without benefits? The kids keep shelling out ridiculous amounts of money for a lesser product so what's the problem?

TEACHING ability aside, I'm pretty sure I'm just as capable and qualified as any "PhD" of teaching almost any 100-200 level course in business. My real-world experience might actually make me more qualified as an adjunct.

But, yeah, $3k for 100+ hours of work for a semester course....that would be charity. Hell, as an undergrad 20 years ago I think I got $10-15 an hour for tutoring.

What's interesting though...if I taught just 20 students a class each semester.....and I taught 3 sections of 2 courses (clocking about 40 hours a week).....and include summer to make it 3 semesters.....Give me $1k per student per class and I'm happy as a pig in shit - I'd quit my job today, teach 1 course and work about 20 hours a week and pull almost $200k a year. Sign me up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:45 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

TEACHING ability aside, I'm pretty sure I'm just as capable and qualified as any "PhD" of teaching almost any 100-200 level course in business. My real-world experience might actually make me more qualified as an adjunct.

But, yeah, $3k for 100+ hours of work for a semester course....that would be charity. Hell, as an undergrad 20 years ago I think I got $10-15 an hour for tutoring.

What's interesting though...if I taught just 20 students a class each semester.....and I taught 3 sections of 2 courses (clocking about 40 hours a week).....and include summer to make it 3 semesters.....Give me $1k per student per class and I'm happy as a pig in shit - I'd quit my job today, teach 1 course and work about 20 hours a week and pull almost $200k a year. Sign me up.

It's funny when you look at how much each student pays per credit hour for a course, add that up and then look at an adjunct's hourly wage. A lot of biz profs ARE making that much a year!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:52 pm 

Hey, someone's gotta pay for the lazy river and the new climbing wall dahn rec center an'at.