It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steeler fan in the White House??
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:23 am 

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/07/20/t ... mlws-sb-bb

Post subject: Re: Steeler fan in the White House??
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:02 am 

I'd prefer the New Jersey Generals fan......

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:25 am 

superk wrote:
I'd prefer the New Jersey Generals fan......

Absolutely not.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:43 am 

Post subject: Steeler fan in the White House??
Thanks, but NO THANKS!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:55 am 

Always trust Swiss to skirt the political taboo here by making it "Steeler-related." What will inevitably happen, and already has given the few posts here, is posters injecting their own political preferences. Then, a war even though the board rules state absolutely no politics. SMH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:06 am 

Obviously wrote:
Always trust Swiss to skirt the political taboo here by making it "Steeler-related." What will inevitably happen, and already has given the few posts here, is posters injecting their own political preferences. Then, a war even though the board rules state absolutely no politics. SMH

Let's speed this along.

Clinton is so corrupt and a liar. How could anyone vote for her?

Trump is wholly unprepared to do, well, anything presidential and is a racist. Can you imagine Trump handling sensitive global issues? My God. How could anyone vote for him?

A vote for a third party is a wasted vote and you are a hippie if you think it matters. How could anyone vote for one?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:34 am 

Good summary knife. Where is the Steeler connection with Mr. Balsack?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:51 am 

R S wrote:
Good summary knife. Where is the Steeler connection with Mr. Balsack?

Thanks for asking, RS. Despite Obviously's feeble attempt to attribute intent to my posting, I was hoping to spark a discussion on Tom Vilsack's Steeler fandom, not one on politics. I posted a similar comment on John Kasich a few months back, prior to voting for Kasich in thee New Hampshire primary.

Anyway, Vilsack is a Pittsburgh native, who spent his first few months of life in a Pittsburgh orphanage. On my desk remains a 2007 article from Pittsburgh Quarterly, which comes up with a Google search, but doesn't seem to be available any longer. The article is entitled From Pittsburgh to President, written when Vilsack briefly tossed his hat into the ring, seeking the 2008 Democratic nomination.

Vilsack was the keynote speaker for my agency's Annual Meeting in 2007. I gave him a framed print of a Steeler (might have been of Clark Haggens) as a gift. Following the meeting, I drove him and his wife to his destination in Concord, NH. Vilsack told me about being invited by the Governor of Minnesota (while Vilsack was Iowa gov) to attend a Steelers-Vikings game in Minnesota in '05. The Minnie gov (might have been Jesse Ventura) assumed that his guest, not knowing his roots, would root for the Vikes. They're down on the field before the game, and Vilsack wants to meet Hines, didn't hold back his Steeler fandom.

Vilsack attended St. Philomena's School in Squirrel Hill, graduated from Shady Side Academy. Here's a good quote from the P-Quarterly piece.

"Pittsburgh had an impact on that. When you're 9 years old and you listen to your team's baseball games on the radio, dreaming that some day, you, too, could play - bouncing a rubber ball off a brick wall, making fantastic catches in your back yard that no one else could see but you.

When your team goes up against what is considered to be one of the greatest baseball teams of all time and wins dramatically in the 9th inning of the7th game with a home run - you grow up thinking that the impossible is indeed possible. And if there was one lesson that the City of Pittsburgh taught me when I was growing up, it was that. Not only was it sports teams, but it was also the Renaissance that was taking place when I was a youngster, changing it from a dirty, gloomy place to a place of vibrancy and activity. I've always been proud of my Pittsburgh roots."

I can tell you this, having spent a few hours with Tom Vilsack. He is a regular Pittsburgh guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:56 am 

time to lock the thread! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:31 pm 

Ignore fan pandering proclamations of politicians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0n5ec6cfVI