It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Summer Tomatoes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:16 pm 

Just saw a recipe for chicken, bacon, avacodo & quinoa salad, over spinach. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:36 pm 

After going into facebook my wife discovered a couple link(s) (foodnetwork.com) & (Tastyfood.com) anyway she made this outstanding pasta dish I just could not get enough of.

Shrimp, Fresh Parsley, Heavy Cream, Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese, Pimienta Roja (Dried Cayenne Pepper), Garlic Powder with a sprinkle of Italian seasoning...
Mixed them all in a saute pan cooking on a medium heat till the heavy cream and parmesan cheese become a thick sauce.

Boil your choice of pasta (In my case Fettuccine Noodles) pour the contents of the saute pan over the pasta and WaLa!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:29 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:
A great recipe.

Slice tomatoes to cover dish
Extra finely chop celery and sweet onions to completely cover tomatoes
Sprinkle entirity fairly generously with salt and sugar
Refrigerate for a few hours

One of my faves.
No fat/oil, acid, or herbs? Store bought corporate tomatoes or heirloom? Sounds bland, but I'll try it when I'm "in the mood." Maybe when my arrogant presumption sets in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:05 pm 

Baked tomatoe egg cups.

Cut a tomatoe in half. You can use whatever kind you like, beefsteak, heirloom, even Roma if large enough. Scoop out the middle. Sprink with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Crack an egg into each tomatoe half. Bake 15 minutes at 375. Top with your favorite grated Italian cheese...Parmesan, Asiago, whatever you like. I prefer Toma myself. Add some fresh cut chives and salt and pepper. Back in the oven 5 more minutes. Yum.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:07 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:
A great recipe.

One of my faves.
No fat/oil, acid, or herbs? Store bought corporate tomatoes or heirloom? Sounds bland, but I'll try it when I'm "in the mood." Maybe when my arrogant presumption sets in.

I wouldn't trust any recipe STD posted, unless the ingredients involved are 1 part getting in your car & 2 parts ordering...with a pinch of tipping.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:03 am 
COR-TEN wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:
A great recipe.

One of my faves.

No. Absolutely not.

The salt and sugar create a what is essentially a brine that does a number of things.

1. Draws alot of water out of the tomatoes oinons celery creating a firmer than expected texture
2. Melds all the flavors together smoothly

Store bought tomatoes work ok. Fresh from the roadside field in the summer work better. Lol. Field tomatoes are not always heirlooms, in fact most arent.
Real heirlooms depending on the type can be less than ideal in some instances. Some are stunning taste wise if not visually even and consistent

Dont skimp on the salt and sugar. Dont over do it either. At least a few hours in the fridge is essential. Take the time to finely chop the oinions and celery. Almost but not quite to the point of crushed pineapple.

If this isnt your new favorite way to eat tomatoes youve screwed something up or possibly lack taste and a certain je nais se quoi. Lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:48 pm 

So, Steel Chef, because you pooh-poohed using vegetable oil, what kind of oil do you suggest using for making Indian curry sauces? The main ingredients are onion, tomato, and dry or minced spices. Gotta use an oil to keep the spice from burning while you sauté.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:52 pm 

Extra virgin Olive Oil.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:53 pm 
Still Lit wrote:
So, Steel Chef, because you pooh-poohed using vegetable oil, what kind of oil do you suggest using for making Indian curry sauces? The main ingredients are onion, tomato, and dry or minced spices. Gotta use an oil to keep the spice from burning while you sauté.

Olive Oil isnt bad. Pick a variety that matches your Indian culture with that dish.I am a big fan of coconut oil as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:51 am 

Would pairing olive oil with ginger, turmeric, and (much :D ) cayenne pepper work? I'll give it a go. I wonder about mustard or sunflower oil. I'm a noob to cooking Indian dishes and mostly do vegetarian at home.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next