It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Summer Tomatoes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:10 am 
Generally I try to pair culturally common oils with dishes. This obsession about fat free foods is finally ending so whatever works with your dish really. You mentioned Sesame oil which is good for some things.

Coconut oil has a cleaner taste than I would have thought.

I dislike most vegetable oil and canola simply because they are more in line with modern industrial processing ideas than some more traditional oils and fats.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:23 am 

SteelerChef wrote:
Generally I try to pair culturally common oils with dishes. This obsession about fat free foods is finally ending so whatever works with your dish really. You mentioned Sesame oil which is good for some things.

I dislike most vegetable oil and canola simply because they are more in line with modern industrial processing ideas than some more traditional oils and fats.

I'll be quite happy if olive works well. I've been meaning to buy some rather large nonstick pans in order to cut down on oil usage so my Indian dishes will be healthier. At least (good) olive oil has actual benefits.

My other pie in the sky idea is to figure out how to turn my grill into a tandoori oven. If I can find a clay flower pot that is big enough and treat it so it does not crack...that would be some great fun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:25 am 
Indian cuisine is interesting. Much more continentally diverse than most realize. In many instances across cultures I am a big fan of simple vegetarian staples. Rice and beans is essentially global in many different variations. Potatoes as well.

If you ever really want to reaffirm your commitment to primarily plant based eating just honestly look at or examine the worldwide industrialization of meat and animals and youll have zero problem avoiding it, I suspect on several levels for most people.

I eat meat. I try to be truthful where what how and why that is. I never feel bad avoiding it and always feel better in fact when I do. However, meat is fairly essential to good health in some manner unless your vegetarian diet is far more well thought out health wise than many are.

A good steak occasionally is a good thing. Hamburgers every day for lunch are probably not.

Variation, Moderation, Consideration

Eat Well

Chef

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:33 am 
I use a flower pot as a smoker. My neighbor was notably pissed off it worked at least as well if not better as his very expensive brand name one. Lol.

Fats and Oils. Lots of new thought there. I use primarily olive oil coconut oil rendered fat from animals and butter. I dont like lab creations for lots of reasons.

Dont use much and youll be fine. Sauteeing vegetables etc doesnt take much.
Fat is an essential nutrient. Anything fat free is probably an industrial lab creation I want zero part of

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:44 am 

SteelerChef wrote:
Indian cuisine is interesting. Much more continentally diverse than most realize. In many instances across cultures I am a big fan of simple vegetarian staples. Rice and beans is essentially global in many different variations. Potatoes as well.

If you ever really want to reaffirm your commitment to primarily plant based eating just honestly look at or examine the worldwide industrialization of meat and animals and youll have zero problem avoiding it, I suspect on several levels for most people.

I eat meat. I try to be truthful where what how and why that is. I never feel bad avoiding it and always feel better in fact when I do. However, meat is fairly essential to good health in some manner unless your vegetarian diet is far more well thought out health wise than many are.

A good steak occasionally is a good thing. Hamburgers every day for lunch are probably not.

Variation, Moderation, Consideration

Eat Well

Chef

Hey you forgot the corn man. Enjoy the coming harvest :D :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:59 am 

Still Lit wrote:
So, Steel Chef, because you pooh-poohed using vegetable oil, what kind of oil do you suggest using for making Indian curry sauces? The main ingredients are onion, tomato, and dry or minced spices. Gotta use an oil to keep the spice from burning while you sauté.
Ghee. Indian cuisine uses ghee, or clarified butter (not exactly the same, but same enough), which has a very high smoke point. I would also suggest refined safflower oil. Indian cooking, much like Chinese and Thai, employ high temperatures, and thus high smoke point oils are required. Safflower or grapeseed oil (conversely fresh veg oil as well) is a neutral tasting oil. Frying curries in oil at high temps bring out the flavors - and stinks up your house. And if you eat it enough, will start to come out of your pores like garlic.

Last edited by COR-TEN on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:12 am 

There is a place for refined oils made from vegetable products. Source a responsible vendor before buying anything, like anything else. You'd be in far more danger consuming large amounts of bacon drippings or trans fats consistently than an industrially refined oil in moderation. Besides, most of the olive oils you think is olive oil is not.

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-tur ... -dark-side

Agreed : Variation (we are omnivores, after all), Moderation, Consideration

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:31 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:

I'll be quite happy if olive works well. I've been meaning to buy some rather large nonstick pans in order to cut down on oil usage so my Indian dishes will be healthier. At least (good) olive oil has actual benefits.

My other pie in the sky idea is to figure out how to turn my grill into a tandoori oven. If I can find a clay flower pot that is big enough and treat it so it does not crack...that would be some great fun.

don't be worried about oils. Oils are efficient ways to fuel your body. I'd be more worried about eating off of teflon pans.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:40 pm 
I do not use coated pans or aluminum. Ever.

I use ceramic and cast iron mostly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:47 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
So, Steel Chef, because you pooh-poohed using vegetable oil, what kind of oil do you suggest using for making Indian curry sauces? The main ingredients are onion, tomato, and dry or minced spices. Gotta use an oil to keep the spice from burning while you sauté.
Ghee. Indian cuisine uses ghee, or clarified butter (not exactly the same, but same enough), which has a very high smoke point. I would also suggest refined safflower oil. Indian cooking, much like Chinese and Thai, employ high temperatures, and thus high smoke point oils are required. Safflower or grapeseed oil (conversely fresh veg oil as well) is a neutral tasting oil. Frying curries in oil at high temps bring out the flavors - and stinks up your house. And if you eat it enough, will start to come out of your pores like garlic.

Thanks for the tip!

I was eating Indian about twice a week all this summer. I've really gotten into it. Who knows how much tumeric, cumin, garlic, ginger, and cayenne I've ingested over the past three months. Mostly I eat salad for lunch and was looking for a way to eat veggies at dinner that was both healthy and delicious. I thought Indian would be a good idea if I avoided cream curries. I'm going to dive into Thai food soon. I find the making of the curry pastes to be daunting. Indian base curries with tomato and onion are very easy and dry simple.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next