It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: EpiPen Scandal
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:50 pm 

In a free market, a competitor would come along and the price would come down. The problem is the slow approval of new generics by our wonderful government. Free market is the solution, not the problem, which is how monopolies are licensed (bribed).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:11 am 

I was watching the news this morning before work and it said that Mylan will release a generic of EpiPen. They said it would be around $300. Man are they scrambling now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:41 am 

If Mylan makes it, how is it generic?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:19 am 

R S wrote:
If Mylan makes it, how is it generic?

The Mylan Specialty side of Mylan is branded. EpiPen was just a product they bought and marketed the hell out of. They used to have a couple other branded products on that side, but EpiPen drove the ship.

The Mylan core business is generic though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:27 am 

To clarify: Mylan makes the Epipen. There is no monopoly here.

Yeti makes coolers. They are very expensive. For some reason they are very popular, not just with coolers but with merchandise. I find mine cumbersome. Can be hard for people to open and the handles feel flimsy to me. Walmart sells Styrofoam coolers, they are cheap. So is ice.

The consumer makes a choice as to how to keep their desired possession cold, and acts accordingly. So far Yeti doing well. At some point in time they may not do well, and they will go away (they aren't GM).

If you need epinephrine, you don't need an epipen. You can ask your provider for needles/syringes/vial of 1:1000 Epi. Will cost you next to nothing. That's up to the consumer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:30 pm 

great point superk. If folks can give themselves insulin shots, they can give epi shots without an expensive delivery system.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:46 pm 

superk wrote:
To clarify: Mylan makes the Epipen. There is no monopoly here.

Yeti makes coolers. They are very expensive. For some reason they are very popular, not just with coolers but with merchandise. I find mine cumbersome. Can be hard for people to open and the handles feel flimsy to me. Walmart sells Styrofoam coolers, they are cheap. So is ice.

The consumer makes a choice as to how to keep their desired possession cold, and acts accordingly. So far Yeti doing well. At some point in time they may not do well, and they will go away (they aren't GM).

If you need epinephrine, you don't need an epipen. You can ask your provider for needles/syringes/vial of 1:1000 Epi. Will cost you next to nothing. That's up to the consumer.

But there actually is a monopoly on the delivery system. And for numerous reasons a simplified delivery system is important. Just because I can drive or take a train across the country doesn't mean it wouldn't be a monopoly if there was only one airline.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:28 pm 

Perhaps if docs stopped prescribing them to mothers of kids who aren't actually allergic to peanuts, the price would collapse based on supply and demand.

Epi-Pen has two clinical uses...emergency anaphylaxis and as a status symbol for neurotic wealthy mothers who have a bit of Muchausen's by proxy syndrome.

But then there would be less to fret about and socially position oneself between sets at the tennis club. I mean you have to keep up with Tanner's mom because that kid actually did once develop a mild case of hives and a useless ambulance call.

Since we can't call women bitches anymore, I'm good with calling some of them assholes just like their husbands.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:50 pm 

To the critics of the free market:

And RIP Gene Wilder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:33 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
Just because I can drive or take a train across the country doesn't mean it wouldn't be a monopoly if there was only one airline.

But that actually is one of the test to determine a monopoly. That's probably not the best example, but as mentioned there are very close substitutes for the epipen, which means it's not a monopoly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next