It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Metallica about to release an LP that does not suck?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:43 am 

If you were a real fan of Metallica, you had a sinking feeling when you first saw the Enter Sandman video. Yes, the Black album sucked. Everything they have released since the Black album has sucked. No, Death Magnetic was not good. It also sucked.

Now, Hetfield's voice is gone. Whatever, he's old. However, the new single gives a glimmer of hope that the new album will be good. Hetfield is back to his teenage angsty paranoia lyrics. The riffs are nicely machine gun old school thrash. I'm not holding out much hope, however.

http://pitchfork.com/news/67846-watch-m ... nto-flame/

The least Lars Ulrich could do for us is remaster And Justice for All so that you can actually hear what the hell Jason Newstand (sp.?) is playing.

Post subject: Re: Is Metallica about to release an LP that does not suck?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:31 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
If you were a real fan of Metallica, you had a sinking feeling when you first saw the Enter Sandman video. Yes, the Black album sucked. Everything they have released since the Black album has sucked. No, Death Magnetic was not good. It also sucked.

Now, Hetfield's voice is gone. Whatever, he's old. However, the new single gives a glimmer of hope that the new album will be good. Hetfield is back to his teenage angsty paranoia lyrics. The riffs are nicely machine gun old school thrash. I'm not holding out much hope, however.

http://pitchfork.com/news/67846-watch-m ... nto-flame/

The least Lars Ulrich could do for us is remaster And Justice for All so that you can actually hear what the hell Jason Newstand (sp.?) is playing.

I consider myself a 'real' fan. Been listening to them since the mid 80's. Agreed about 'The Black' album. For crying out loud they let Bob Rock use keyboards on that album. Definitely a turning point in the bands direction.
You might think 'Death Magnetic' sucked but there are a few excellent songs on that disc. I also believe that the solo towards the end of 'Suicide and Redemption' is one of Hammett's best.

Thing is for me, even though they weren't putting out great studio albums after the late 80's their live shows never failed to impress. I have seen them probably 50 times over nearly 2 decades and only once would I say they were bad and that was in a huge stadium where there were technical difficulties throughout their set.
Two of the best shows I witnessed were Woodstock 99' when they played nearly 4 hours and at the Electric Factory in Philly when they did the 'Garage,inc' live.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:37 pm 

Agree on the live performances. I was always amazed and delighted at how long their sets were. caught the Justice and Black tours.

I don't begrudge them changing their sound. What musician wants to play the same exact stuff for 30 years. But man, And Justic For All was the high water mark for me. Last lp that was consistently good start to finish.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:28 pm 

Played 3 songs live on Stern today and they were fantastic. New song (name??) was really good. Played Master and Sad but True also.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:56 pm 

Charles Demarr wrote:
Played 3 songs live on Stern today and they were fantastic. New song (name??) was really good. Played Master and Sad but True also.

"Hard Wired For Self Destruction" is the album prep single.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:11 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:

"Hard Wired For Self Destruction" is the album prep single.

Yep, that's what it was. It was solid. Those guys were a great interview as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:21 pm 

I consider myself a real fan. Been my favorite band since 86 when I was 12 and ordered the first 3 albums from Columbia House. Seen them probably 25 times, went AWOL from the USCG a couple times to do it. Personally I loved much of their direction in the 90's, even though I was a die hard 80's thrash fan. I love parts of the black album, and as far as guitar/drum sounds it's sonically the biggest sounding rock album ever. Cut the filler tracks off Load/Reload, put together the good tracks and it's IMO one of their best albums ever. Those two albums were some of Kirk's best and most tasteful solo work. Those 90's albums were perfect for what Metallica had become, the world's biggest arena/stadium heavy rock band. Where Bob Rock lost me was St. Anger, but there are a few hidden gems on there. And I like much of Death Magnetic.

I get bored of Justice. I can understand the guys' wanting to get the hell away from playing those long ass songs every night on tour. They've said many times their audiences looked bored about 5 minutes into those songs in the late 80's.

I wasn't blown away by the Hardwired single. But this new single Moth to Flame is awesome.

James' voice actually sounded pretty good at the pre-Super Bowl show in San Fran. Was pleasantly surprised. Kirk kinda sucks now though. You can tell he doesn't pick up the guitar aside from rehearsal or to play a show. He can't create a solo with any direction any more, one that builds to a musical crescendo.......and that was his strength on the 90's stuff.

Either way, i'm extremely grateful I got to see this band in their prime years when they were gods. They even blew Gn'R off the stage with a stand-in guitar player on the Guns/Metallica tour on '92.

Last edited by CaptainFantastik on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:50 pm 

Hardwired is a great song

Happy to hear the rest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:14 pm 

Check out the Moth into Flame single that came out today. I think you'll like it if you liked Hardwired.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:17 pm 

Ordering the first three albums from Columbia House shows your age. My dad got one of those subscriptions.