It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is Metallica about to release an LP that does not suck?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 pm 

I think from the 90's records I liked Youthanasia the best. And I don't care what anybody says I even liked most of Risk. I saw them on that tour in Erie, PA at the Warner Theater. It was Marty's last tour with the band if i'm not mistaken.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:17 pm 

Right on Cap. Happy to hear another metal head stand his ground on his taste in metal.

Back to Metallica... Not a fan anymore. Their time to shine came and went IMO. Was fun while it lasted.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:39 am 

To add to the metal/rock convo, I'm going to see Clutch, Zakk Sabbath and Kyng tomorrow at Stage AE. I'm pretty pumped about that. I've been there a couple times for shows and love the venue. Lamb of God x2, Anthrax, Killswitch Engage and Testament so far.

Regardless of anyone's opinion on Metallica, it's still a bucket list of mine to see them live. That and Tool.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:10 pm 

Lots of hate for the Black album it seems. I'm of the opinion Metallica did a pretty good job of "selling out" and commercializing their music while at the same time keeping a fair portion of what made them so good.

Bands need to evolve. Unless of course you want to play small venues forever.

I think more so than selling out it's a lack of passion the killed their sound. James seems real burnt out on that documentary thing thy did. I don't follow this closely by any stretch so I could be off base here. My personal opinion is that mega success and demands that came with it made it impossible for it to ever be what it was. Just got too big.

A band I am more disappointed in for "selling out" is Van Halen. I love early Van Halen. Like Dave by himself and like Sammy solo. But Sammy with Van Halen was way too soft and commenrcial. Now they made some good tunes, but it was never what it could have and should have been which was a kick ass modern version of Montrose.

Think Van Halen I & II riffs/rawness with Sammy's vocals.

Would have been much better than some of the shit they put out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:14 am 

I think you're right. i'm a die hard fan and have probably seen every piece of media/footage that's ever made it out showing them behind the scenes. And there was definitely a point by the late 90's/early 2000's where it was obvious they were just sick of each other. They had been crushed under the weight of the machine. Always on tour, always the demand for more. Numerous marriages were crushed under the weight of it as well. Numerous family milestones missed because the train could not be stopped. The doc was very interesting to me. Showed them at rock bottom and I give them a ton of credit for having the balls to put that out there. It's ironic, but IMO Jason Newsted was the one holding that band together during those years.

But contrast that with today. They all seem extremely happy now. They tour in small segments rather than 2 year long marathon tours. Family comes first now, regardless of what management wants. They own their own catalogue and recording label and are now in complete control of how the machine runs. And it really shows in their attitudes now.

I love the Black album.....most of it anyway. Fun fact, that album still sells around 5000 copies per week all these years later.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:25 pm 

To each his own gentlemen. After the Black album I just lost interest with their 'evolvement' but isn't it weird that bands like Pantera, Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, Korn etc... all more or less stuck to what made them all 'big' and they haven't lost my interest. I realize every album can't go Platinum. I didn't expect to like every song on every album. Their act was just not what I grew to love about them anymore. To me it was too 'poser' as we used to say.
The only thing that stopped Pantera was Anselmo's heroin addiction. Well then there was that tragic shooting of Daryl Abbott. Anyway, just can't get back into the Metallica sound anymore. I don't hate them. Just not into their 'evolved' sound these days. Another fun fact I think is the whole band was on speed and abused alcohol a lot in their early years. Happens to be their best sounding stuff IMO. Hmmm....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:53 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Right on Cap. Happy to hear another metal head stand his ground on his taste in metal.

I need to check in here more often ... this thread is right in my idiom.

Metallica has been an afterthought for me since Load/Re-Load (of crappy alt-metal) came out. St. Anger was an utter embarassment, and that's even WITH Robert Trujillo (of Suicidal Tendencies, IMO the better thrash band during the bulk of the '90s).

Death Magnetic was a step in the right direction, but it was like Justice without any of the songwriting muscle or editing, a fair bit of decent riffing but just as frequently songs that dragged on for 3-5 minutes longer than they should and led to nowhere. Still light years ahead of anything they put out past the Black Album.

I have not yet seen Metallica live - which is shocking considering just how many years I spent worshipping them - but the one show I listened to on Sirius XM live as it happened was the surprise show last year they did on the West Coast and played "Kill 'em All" from beginning to end. Holy shit, was that a great set! I think this new stuff i'm hearing is still echoes of rediscovering just how badass of a record that was, and i'm glad to see them simplifying, refining and getting back to what they do best.

Honestly, the past five years or so have been a total thrash renaissance. Prong, Kreator, Testament, Anthrax Death Angel, Voivod , Overkill and Exodus have put out some real meaty stuff in that timeframe ... even lesser-known bands like Sanctuary, Forbidden, Dark Angel and Coroner reuniting and touring.... It's been a nonstop bounty for someone like me who lived and died by those jams in my high school years but never got a chance to see them live.

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
CaptainFantastik wrote:
And since we're talking about seminal metal records......Painkiller by Judas Priest deserves a mention.

Hahahaha fuck yes. I listened to that. Saw Judas Priest in Binghamton NY. What a show. Great memories of that night. Before, during and after!

I saw them with Testament and Megadeth on that tour as well, I was less appreciative of the Priest then - I was more into Scott Travis coming over from Racer X and kicking that band square in the ass. But goddamn is that a scorcher of a Priest album.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:57 am 

Travis certainly did bring a lot to Priest. He also seemed to really kick the rest of the band in the ass too. KK and Glen started really progging out with their guitar work on that album. I love how they would re-create the synth parts to the song Touch of Evil on their guitars live. Its sounds amazing.

Malba, make sure you see Metallica on this next tour. You won't be sorry. Think what you will about their albums, but a Metallica live show has never once not delivered......expect maybe the time Hetfield got burned by the stage pyro and they had to stop playing. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:22 am 

The new Leonard Cohen album. Get it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:36 am 

Ice wrote:
The new Leonard Cohen album. Get it.

Had no idea he was still making music.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next