It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood is creatively bankrupt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:38 pm 

For once I agree with Cor-Ten. Also, the average us moviegoer is a 14-15 year old male so material is geared to that mind set. I think in the future the Manchester by the Seas are going straight to TV.

I have no disagreement with Lit about Spaghetti Westerns, but these were always critically held in higher regard than Blaxploitation or Grindhouse. I think Tarantino would be the first to admit Once Upon the Time in the West is a top five film of ALL TIME. He very consciously paid homage to it in the finale of Kill Bill 1.

I would like to see a Tarantino take on the menacing outlaw biker gang films of the sixties. This would be right up his alley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_biker_film

And I love The Wild Angels.

Also, I think he'd do a great take on the Death Wish revenge films of Bronson. Tarantino is a master of revenge film, as he proved in Bastards and Django.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:48 pm 

Dan, have you ever watched the original Django (there are like 40 of them)?

How do you top a guy who drags a gatling gun around in a coffin? :lol:

The Django title song is fucking boss, too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:21 pm 

Tarantino showed some talent for non CGI car chases in Deathproof. Like to also see him take a stab at a Bullit (see my sig) type movie before stuntman (or woman, Zoe Bell shoutout) car chases are completely eliminated in Hollywood. The chase in Ronin and Terminator 2 were exemplary. The car chase in the comedy What's Up Doc is a masterwork and beats any CGI crap today.

Speaking of bad CGI, that Great Wall of China movie with Matt Damon looks like a flaming turd on arrival.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:26 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Tarantino showed some talent for non CGI car chases in Deathproof. Like to also see him take a stab at a Bullit (see my sig) movie before stuntman (or woman, Zoe Bell shoutout) car chases are completely eliminated in Hollywood. The chase in Ronin and Terminator 2 were exemplary. The car chase in the comedy What's Up Doc is a masterwork and beats any CGI crap today.

Speaking of bad CGI, that Great Wall of China movie with Matt Damon looks like a flaming turd on arrival.

WTF. You bitch about Ghostbusters but you want a Bullit remake?

No no no no.

That's a stone cold McQueen Classic. Any attempt to remake it will fail, IMO.

EDIT: saw my reading comprehension fail; you meant a Bullit type of film not a remake. Sorry!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:34 pm 

No definitely not remake. But a movie in that genre. I agree Bullit is untouchable. The Tao of Steve cannot be fucked with.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:20 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
No definitely not remake. But a movie in that genre. I agree Bullit is untouchable. The Tao of Steve cannot be fucked with.

Much of my wardrobe is modeled after McQueen's look in Bullitt and elsewhere. I'm not joking. Unfortunately, I drive a Honda Fit, which somewhat detracts from the full aura. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:26 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

Much of my wardrobe is modeled after McQueen's look in Bullitt and elsewhere. I'm not joking. Unfortunately, I drive a Honda Fit, which somewhat detracts from the full aura. :lol:

Great talk fellers. So much to say on these rich topics. Steve's #1 in my book.

Have you guys seen Fincher's film Zodiac? (also very good, IMO) At one point, Robert Downey's character addresses the detective played by Mark Ruffalo by saying, "Hey, Bullitt," alluding to the fact that Steve McQueen had met with the actual SFPD detective back in '68 while preparing for his role as Det. Frank Bullitt. McQ even incorporated the real detective's penchant for the turtleneck/sportscoat look w/shoulder holster into his own ultra-style domination.

[Small aside, Lit, on your "aura-deficit" of Honda vs. Mustang: nearly as deep as my Pirates/Steelers love, I'm a classic (1960 - 1971) Dodge & Plymouth guy. I've read interviews with the Bullitt production crew on how difficult it was to work with McQueen's choice of car, the admittedly bitchen-looking Mustang GT, which needed major chassis, engine and brake overhauling and modifications in order to beef it up enough to handle the abuse of "the chase". The Charger R/T, on the other hand, had to be purchased cash by chase coordinator Max Balchowski because the Fords provided to Warner Brothers "wouldn't stand a chance of surviving" the chase filming. They actually had to "handicap" the Charger with skinnier tires and minimal engine and chassis enhancement, yet still had trouble keeping the 440-powered Dodge from running away from the Mustang, as McQueen and director Peter Yates insisted on realism and minimal "effects" in filming the stunts. I still laugh every time Ford issues another "commemorative Bullitt model" Mustang or, as on a recent Blue Bloods episode, everyone gushes over the incredible Mustang that "won" the famous chase, when in reality it was cinematic fiddling-about + McQueen and "the look" that were the winners.]

Also, if you've never seen the film Dan referred to -- Tao of Steve -- it was a funny nod to the coolness and overwhelming conquest of the female psyche possessed of several Steves, especially McQ.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:09 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Tarantino showed some talent for non CGI car chases in Deathproof. Like to also see him take a stab at a Bullit (see my sig) type movie before stuntman (or woman, Zoe Bell shoutout) car chases are completely eliminated in Hollywood. The chase in Ronin and Terminator 2 were exemplary. The car chase in the comedy What's Up Doc is a masterwork and beats any CGI crap today.

Holy shit. I stumbled across the trailer for the Great Wall movie and thought it had to be a joke. Matt Damon starring as some kick ass Chinese hero with superpowers fighting enemies in a fictitious ancient China. What the hell could go wrong there? :lol:

And Damon actually likens himself as some super-intellectual.

I also see he was catching shit from the PC snowflakes for whitewashing a Chinese movie. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:10 pm 

You have to go back to Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffanys to find such bad Asian casting. No, actually Matt Damon is worse because he's the main character. That movie is going to win every Golden Raspberry I predict.

Lit, are you telling us you're double packing heat underneath a courduroy jacket?

Bissett's looks were beyond ridiculously hot:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:42 pm 

I had special dual holsters made for two Montblancs I pack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next