It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: GaGa killed it at halftime
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:42 am 

Best SB show I've seen in a long time.

Post subject: Re: GaGa killed it at halftime
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:18 pm 

I hate the halftime shows. Usually just passively watch them, never entertained. Not a Gaga fan either. That said, her performance was great. She actually sang her songs, played her biggest hits, tons of action and some cool stunts. Probably the best I've seen. Good for her. Now I'll go back to not giving a shit about musicians interrupting my football game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:26 pm 

SP wrote:
I hate the halftime shows. Usually just passively watch them, never entertained. Not a Gaga fan either. That said, her performance was great. She actually sang her songs, played her biggest hits, tons of action and some cool stunts. Probably the best I've seen. Good for her. Now I'll go back to not giving a shit about musicians interrupting my football game.
She's a performer. I question her musicianship. But I guess that's a matter of opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:07 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1OdWOLWeCM

I question Cor-Ten's judgment of talent. She is very skilled, and Billy Joel has gone out of his way to point her out as an example of new artists who can bring it. She also has a good understanding of musical history including jazz and standards. I'd say Amy Winehouse was the only one in her league and she's gone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:18 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

I question Cor-Ten's judgment of talent. She is very skilled, and Billy Joel has gone out of his way to point her out as an example of new artists who can bring it. She also has a good understanding of musical history including jazz and standards. I'd say Amy Winehouse was the only one in her league and she's gone.

I mentioned it in the superbowl game thread but she has said that working with Tony Bennett really changed her as a person and her outlook on life and music. I believe she was thinking about retiring or being done with music and after working with him on the duets album it made her re-assess a whole lot of what she was doing. Where she was heading. Also anyone that doubts her talent should just find some youtube clips of her from college before she was all about shock value she can play and sing.

Also she nailed the National Anthem last year which may have played a part in her getting the halftime gig this year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:56 pm 

Was a good show.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:39 pm 

As an old fart, I had heard of her but didn't know much of anything about her. Her performance had me tapping me foot and nodding my head in rhythm. She has a very melodic and powerful voice. She seems to be extremely talented. I really liked the show.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:03 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

Only pop star in her league, Dan.

I don't think Winehouse was in Gaga's league. Frankly, Winehouse got more attention than she deserved, mostly because she was white doing soul revival shit. Sharon Jones, Winehouse was not, not even when she used Sharon Jones' band. And before you respond, my claim is that Jones was a much better soul singer.

And let's not pretend like Gaga is Diana Krall because she did a duet LP with Tony.

That said, come on COR. Gaga can sing her ass off.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:39 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

Only pop star in her league, Dan.

I don't think Winehouse was in Gaga's league. Frankly, Winehouse got more attention than she deserved, mostly because she was white doing soul revival shit. Sharon Jones, Winehouse was not, not even when she used Sharon Jones' band. And before you respond, my claim is that Jones was a much better soul singer.

And let's not pretend like Gaga is Diana Krall because she did a duet LP with Tony.

That said, come on COR. Gaga can sing her ass off.
Reading comprehension, fellas. I never said she couldn't sing. I simply don't see her as a "musician." According to Wiki, she dropped out of "music" school midway through her second year, and has TEN years studying "method acting." She auditioned for New York Musical Theater productions and failed to make the cut. She apparently, while living on 11th street dorm, "composed essays and analytical papers on art, religion, social issues, and politics, including a thesis on pop artists Spencer Tunick and Damien Hirst.[27][28]" OOOoooooWWeeeee. I'm impressed. I guess that makes me an expert on politics, social issues, and urban planning also, since I wrote "essays and analytical papers" as well.

She's a pop performer who can sing. No way in hell she has the chops, musical training and/ or repertoire to hang with real "musicians." But like I said, it could be debatable depending on how you define "musician."

And I should add that Tony Bennet is a genuine, charming, gracious, stand up guy. What you see is exactly who he is. True story : Met him once at a fundraiser and spent 5 minutes or so talking. He almost invited me to sing a duet with him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:04 pm 

Talented performance, but I thought it was boring.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next