It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: GaGa killed it at halftime
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:06 pm 

I don't disagree with any of the recent comments. But she does what she does very well. I'm not aware that Tony Bennett plays an instrument FWIW.

She's not Diana Krall, she's not even Elvis Costello. However, I'm not sure how well either of those would do at a SB halftime show. The one "complete" musician who probably could pull it off is Harry Connick, but the hip hop audience (ironically the most closed minded) would still be alienated.

Julliard level credentialism isn't really what it takes to make it in the pop world. And singer/performers can't be judged by the same metrics as instrumentalists.

She certainly did a better job than Thunder Thighs and the better half of Gwennyth's conscious uncoupling.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:44 am 

I didn't realize her talent until she performed live on the Stern show with only a piano. None of show and poppy bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:01 am 

R S wrote:
I didn't realize her talent until she performed live on the Stern show with only a piano. None of show and poppy bullshit.

Further, contrary to what was supposed earlier in the thread, she writes or co-writes all of her material.

However, her albums are still mindless pop-glop and I can't stand most of it. I need my pop to attain Bjork level complexity and weirdness for it to become attractive. 8-)

And make no mistake: Gaga is ripping off a whole lotta Bjork.

And what the hell, why not have Bjork do a half time show? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:53 am 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... _Lady_Gaga

On most of her songs she has multiple collaborators. Sometimes up to 4 and 5 others, but she does write (some) of her own material.

Who supposed she didn't?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:08 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_Lady_Gaga

On most of her songs she has multiple collaborators. Sometimes up to 4 and 5 others, but she does write (some) of her own material.

Who supposed she didn't?

Depends on how you define musician. A straight session player has zero creativity, but amazing technical skill. A song writer may lack some of the technical ability but possess the skill to construct good songs. Gaga writes (or has a hand in) a lot of her material.

Look, she's just a pop star, as you admit. Why are you insisting on grading her against the likes of Charles fucking Mingus for the purpose of denying her the attribute of being a real musician?

Shit, come to think of it, Johnny Hartman did not play an instrument nor did he write the majority of his material by himself either. Is he just a performer and not a musician?

Should we talk opera or choral where the singers don't write a single thing they sing? No way they can hang with orchestral or symphony musicians (who also often compose nothing themselves).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:33 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Depends on how you define musician.
This is what I said a few comments ago. Thanks for repeating.

I didn't need to read your further diatribe littered with straw men. I did not grade her against Mingus to determine musicianship. You did.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm not interested in a debate that has been had ad nauseam.

Lets leave it at that, or would you rather keep trollin. . . err. . .defending her?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:34 pm 

She's much better than the acts over the past few years including Beyonce, Katy Perry, Coldplay, Springsteen, The Who (were great at one time) and the highly overrated "derivative" (stole James Brown's whole act) Bruno Mars.

I'm hoping they hire Mariah Carey next year for record ratings...everyone waiting to see the train wreck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:39 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Depends on how you define musician.
This is what I said a few comments ago. Thanks for repeating.

I didn't need to read your further diatribe littered with straw men. I did not grade her against Mingus to determine musicianship. You did.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm not interested in a debate that has been had ad nauseam.

Lets leave it at that, or would you rather keep trollin. . . err. . .defending her?

Your opinion is either ridiculous or unclear. Which one is it?

Sure, it does depend on how you define musician. You didn't bother to define a musician but made the claim that she could not hang with musicians any way. Now maybe you have a good account of what it is to be a musician and you just didn't bother to state it, in which case you were being unclear. Or you do not have a good account and so you do not know what you are talking about.

The result is that either you were (1) unclear or (2) you do not know what you are talking about. Feel free to chime in and tell us which one it is.

I beg apology for the straw man, but having no idea what you think a musician is (lack of clarity) I could only guess.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:43 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
She's much better than the acts over the past few years including Beyonce, Katy Perry, Coldplay, Springsteen, The Who (were great at one time) and the highly overrated "derivative" (stole James Brown's whole act) Bruno Mars.

I'm hoping they hire Mariah Carey next year for record ratings...everyone waiting to see the train wreck.

I vote for High on Fire. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:56 pm 

We should all form a hybrid band of Viking Metal, K-Pop and Trap that could unite the country during the next Super Bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ips2mM7Zqw

All this song needs is Metallica type guitars and everyone would be happy.

Degrees from Berklee a plus, but not required.

P.S. I'm shocked by the number of views on that vid

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next