It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Back to jeans and denim
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:52 pm 

http://laundry.reviewed.com/features/dont-clean-your-jeans-smart-way-to-care-for-denim?utm_source=TB_paid&utm_medium=cpc

Quote:
Soak your denim in vinegar.

Whether you paid chump change for a pair of black jeans or spent half your paycheck on indigo-dyed selvedge denim, the goal is to keep the original color. Water itself will wash away your denim’s dye over time, and soap will only hasten the process.

Try soaking your jeans in cold water and vinegar instead of washing them. Yes, vinegar. Add one cup of distilled white vinegar to a cold water bath and soak your jeans for about an hour. Hang or lay flat to dry, and don’t worry about smelling like vinegar—the odor goes away after your pants dry. This technique locks in the dye’s color, keeping your jeans dark and your furniture clean.

And if you must use a washing machine, toss in a cup of vinegar on a hand-wash setting—but please, no detergent.

Post subject: Re: Back to jeans and denim
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:12 am 

stillthere wrote:
http://laundry.reviewed.com/features/dont-clean-your-jeans-smart-way-to-care-for-denim?utm_source=TB_paid&utm_medium=cpc

Quote:
Soak your denim in vinegar.

Whether you paid chump change for a pair of black jeans or spent half your paycheck on indigo-dyed selvedge denim, the goal is to keep the original color. Water itself will wash away your denim’s dye over time, and soap will only hasten the process.

Try soaking your jeans in cold water and vinegar instead of washing them. Yes, vinegar. Add one cup of distilled white vinegar to a cold water bath and soak your jeans for about an hour. Hang or lay flat to dry, and don’t worry about smelling like vinegar—the odor goes away after your pants dry. This technique locks in the dye’s color, keeping your jeans dark and your furniture clean.

And if you must use a washing machine, toss in a cup of vinegar on a hand-wash setting—but please, no detergent.

There are two schools of thought on this. Unless you bought raw denim that has not been prewash treated or, if not raw, at least not treated to already look worn, the not washing you jeans is a bunch of shit. They won't necessarily last longer. If you did buy raw untreated denim (or, again, denim that has not been pretreated to look aged) you don't wash so you get those great looking fades in the jeans. If you do wash, the jeans will still fade, but not to the extent that would have otherwise. But a lot of folks who are really into raw denim claim they get great looking fades with wear and wash and dry. If you don't like the super dark look or if you're not trying to achieve fading from wear, it's all a bunch of hype. IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:14 am 

I still haven't pulled the trigger on the raw denim. I'm a listen hesitant because I feel like they won't look good until a year down the road and they have a nice worn fade.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:09 am 

The only time I wear jeans (occasionally) is at work. Only because I can't wear shorts. Other wise I'm in shorts pretty much year round.

I remember in the early 80's when I bought my first pair of Levis 501's (IIRC, I paid like $15.99 a pair) and they were not pre-shrunk/pre-washed. I see them going for $60+ these days. Anyways, you had to take into consideration that they would shrink an 1" or so in the waist and up to 3" for the inseam. Complicated if you've never bought them that way before. At age 14-15 it was a first for me. Mom washed them like she did every piece of clothing in the house... with detergent. By the time I was a senior in high school those jeans had the rips/tears and faded look that folks were paying extra for at the mall. The more worn jeans are the more comfortable they feel.