steelerfury.com
http://www.steelerfury.com/forum/

110 out 111 former player brains evince CTE
http://www.steelerfury.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8910
Page 2 of 4

Author:  Still Lit [ Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 110 out 111 former player brains evince CTE

Steelafan77 wrote:


Nothing more than loose correlation in the study I linked, but the evidence is mounting.

A study that showed HS players do not end up with these problems is unimpressive bc CTE is likely cumulative and if you only play 4 years of serious contact ball, you aren't begin exposed as much.

It is staggering that 110/111 brains evince CTE and all these dudes just happened to play professional football. This is not a slam dunk. but it is disturbing.

My wife will not let our boy near football.

Author:  Steelcody36 [ Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 110 out 111 former player brains evince CTE

Still Lit wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:


Nothing more than loose correlation in the study I linked, but the evidence is mounting.

A study that showed HS players do not end up with these problems is unimpressive bc CTE is likely cumulative and if you only play 4 years of serious contact ball, you aren't begin exposed as much.

It is staggering that 110/111 brains evince CTE and all these dudes just happened to play professional football. This is not a slam dunk. but it is disturbing.

My wife will not let our boy near football.


Is she also going to ban your kid from driving? You know in case of an accident.

Sorry, this isn't a good lesson for your kid, but I could see banning football until middle school.

Author:  Still Lit [ Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 110 out 111 former player brains evince CTE

Steelcody36 wrote:
Is she also going to ban your kid from driving? You know in case of an accident.

Sorry, this isn't a good lesson for your kid, but I could see banning football until middle school.


"Sorry" is not something that justifies a premise.

And no, she is not going to keep my kid from diving because diving is not a contact sport that requires a helmet and virtually guarantees repeated blows to the head inside a helmet.

We will provide plenty of occasions for our son to exercise courage and endurance and toughness so that he does not end up overly soft. But thanks for you concern! It really does take a village!

Author:  Steelcody36 [ Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 110 out 111 former player brains evince CTE

Still Lit wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:
Is she also going to ban your kid from driving? You know in case of an accident.

Sorry, this isn't a good lesson for your kid, but I could see banning football until middle school.


"Sorry" is not something that justifies a premise.

And no, she is not going to keep my kid from diving because diving is not a contact sport that requires a helmet and virtually guarantees repeated blows to the head inside a helmet.

We will provide plenty of occasions for our son to exercise courage and endurance and toughness so that he does not end up overly soft. But thanks for you concern! It really does take a village!


I wasn't calling your parenting into question, just the ideal that playing football is a stone cold lock to cause irreversible damage.

That's simply not the case. The 1800's and early 1900's? Abso-fuckinlutely it was a death wish. There are a lot more safe guards today than even 5 years ago.

Author:  jebrick [ Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 110 out 111 former player brains evince CTE

I think you will see helmets change radically in a year or two. They are testing out a new helmet designed to prevent concussions.

Author:  fractalsteel [ Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 110 out 111 former player brains evince CTE

Looks like another NFL player called it quits quite early in their career.
John Urschel from the Ravens retired this week after the report came out. In the article provided he didn't mention that concussions were the prime reason but he talks about how his mental process was diminished by a concussion.
Urschel has something to fall back on and he was probably the most intelligent person in the league.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/spor ... .html?_r=0

Have to say I worry about brain damage for I have suffered about 8-9 bad concussions in my life. Thankfully the last one was about fifteen years ago when I slipped on the sidewalk(downslope) during Winter and smacked my head hard. I missed a week of work and was so out of sorts those first few days that I have no memory of them.

Author:  R S [ Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 110 out 111 former player brains evince CTE

I don't think any helmet is going to be completely safe unless it's full body bubble.

So what's the end game here? I don't get it. Maybe I'm dense.

Football, and contact sports cause damage to the brain. Those that play longer, ie: professionals, have more signs and symptoms than someone who stops in high school.

Boxing, MMA, and soccer to a lesser degree also can damage the brain. I recall studies showing brain damage from heading balls repeatedly in soccer and some people were calling for outlawing the header.....

So, once again, what is the end game? Outlaw the sports? Ban head punches in boxing? Flag football?

Are they still doing studies to find out if Boxing is healthy for the brain???


How about we recognize there is some danger, make the games as safe as possible with REASONABLE rule changes that won't change the entire point of the game, and move on.

These things seem to be happening already?

Author:  Steelcody36 [ Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 110 out 111 former player brains evince CTE

R S wrote:
I don't think any helmet is going to be completely safe unless it's full body bubble.

So what's the end game here? I don't get it. Maybe I'm dense.

Football, and contact sports cause damage to the brain. Those that play longer, ie: professionals, have more signs and symptoms than someone who stops in high school.

Boxing, MMA, and soccer to a lesser degree also can damage the brain. I recall studies showing brain damage from heading balls repeatedly in soccer and some people were calling for outlawing the header.....

So, once again, what is the end game? Outlaw the sports? Ban head punches in boxing? Flag football?

Are they still doing studies to find out if Boxing is healthy for the brain???

How about we recognize there is some danger, make the games as safe as possible with REASONABLE rule changes that won't change the entire point of the game, and move on.

These things seem to be happening already?


Bingo.

Author:  Laying the Wood [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 110 out 111 former player brains evince CTE

I think the solution is, many parents, like Lit and Mrs. Lit, will refuse to let their kids play football, and the sport will die out.

Author:  fortythree [ Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 110 out 111 former player brains evince CTE

My son won't be allowed to play football.

My rule, but my wife supports it.

Cody's snarky comment about driving is dumb because driving is pretty much a necessity in our world today whereas no one needs to play football.

Page 2 of 4 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/