It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Eclipse
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:42 am 

Old School Steeler wrote:
Pabst wrote:
OK, that was pretty damn cool. Anyone else have a chance to be in the path?

Watched from our deck, we were dead center in path of totality. The word awesome has lost its meaning but this was truly awesome. Darkness in middle of a sunny day. The cricket symphony erupted, they thought it was night. Like God threw a switch the light came back on.

Temperature change was really noticeable as well. We were 90 and humid and it dropped into the 70s for a few minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:32 am 

Pabst wrote:
Pabst wrote:

Watched from our deck, we were dead center in path of totality. The word awesome has lost its meaning but this was truly awesome. Darkness in middle of a sunny day. The cricket symphony erupted, they thought it was night. Like God threw a switch the light came back on.

Temperature change was really noticeable as well. We were 90 and humid and it dropped into the 70s for a few minutes.

Wow. Where were you watching this from that the temperature dropped like that?

Sadly, I was at work in upstate, NY and not much was noticeable here ( I heard we only got 70% blockage) as this area is for the most part, fucking grey. If the sky turns blue it seems to be replaced by grey more than not. God I hate this fuckin area after living in the South.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:36 pm 

I watched it from my office here in Pittsburgh. It was pretty underwhelming. Barely even noticed any difference in lighting. No temp changes or anything.

Seeing the eclipse itself through some glasses was kinda cool. But overall, wasn't really worth leaving my desk.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:37 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Pabst wrote:

Yes, forgot to mention that. In the snap of a finger went from sweaty, squinting uncomfortable sunny heat to comfortable with a cooling breeze. Stars became visible, Venus in the SW sky. Traffic this morn again abominable, everyone returning home. Best reactions are from the kids who were laughing with amazement.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:37 pm 

Sounds fantastic. Here in NYC, at peak it was 72% coverage; it was cool to see. But virtually no change in light or temperature.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:36 pm 

I'm in Columbia, MO. Watched at a friend's house that was a stone's throw from the dead center of the line of totality. Here's a photo from where we were watching (its linked from facebook, so hopefully it shows):

It wasn't as dark as it seems in that picture. It was dusk-level of darkness, not pitch black. I did see Venus (as Old School mentioned), but we had some light cloud cover that hid most of the stars.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:45 pm 

Steel Drummer wrote:
Sounds fantastic. Here in NYC, at peak it was 72% coverage; it was cool to see. But virtually no change in light or temperature.
Here in NYC as well. Stepped out with a couple of pieces of cardboard and a pin hole. Looked cool. The trees made smily faces all over the sidewalk since it wasn't a total eclipse.

But I saw one overseas on October 3, 2005. Sky went dark, birds quieted down. It was surreal.

But that's a spectacular image pabst.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:56 pm 

Pabst wrote:
I'm in Columbia, MO. Watched at a friend's house that was a stone's throw from the dead center of the line of totality. Here's a photo from where we were watching (its linked from facebook, so hopefully it shows):

It wasn't as dark as it seems in that picture. It was dusk-level of darkness, not pitch black. I did see Venus (as Old School mentioned), but we had some light cloud cover that hid most of the stars.

Wow that is insanely awesome. In Pittsburgh it was something like 80% totality, not real noticeable, but around 245 there was a strange, hazy, greenish look outside. In 7 years Erie Pa will be in the totality "path" and Pittsburgh is supposed to be in the 90% range.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:20 pm 

Luca Brasi wrote:
Pabst wrote:

Wow that is insanely awesome. In Pittsburgh it was something like 80% totality, not real noticeable, but around 245 there was a strange, hazy, greenish look outside. In 7 years Erie Pa will be in the totality "path" and Pittsburgh is supposed to be in the 90% range.

Some might say Franco Madden in Idaho or millions of others who traveled to prime areas were extreme, after experiencing the wonder of it I will be traveling in 7 years because this event is so damn incredible I can't miss the 2 minutes of amazement. The 2 minutes of connecting to the cosmos is unforgettable. Even moreso pondering why we have the only moon in the solar system with certain unique qualities. Our moon doesn't rotate and it's the exact size and stategically situated to shield us on ocassion from the sun.

Great shot Pabst

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:53 am 

I am renting out 3'x3' parts of my lawn for 2024 total eclipse in Indianapolis. :D