It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AMZN East...Burgh in the running?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:01 pm 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
Old School Steeler wrote:
They might be w/holding their announcement to muster support for their move to buy Target. All of the muni's that hope to land the deal won't object to Amazon becoming a monopoly. After whole foods deal target deal cannot be allowed, they'll control too much of the supply side wholesalers. We have anti trust laws for a reason.

Depends on if they consider Target a supply side wholesaler or retailer and then from there figure out how much market share Amazon would control. But I agree Anti-Trust laws should block something like this. However, I doubt they will.

I think this time around, this deal will not happen. Amazon has killed off at least 5-10 big retailers so far.

Kroger is waiting, their deal with Ace on hold or shifted to something less than acquisition. Kids in law school might do well to intern with anti trust firms

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
I'm guessing it comes down to Pitt, Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte or an about to be rebuilt Orlando.

50 K jobs is enormous, let's hope these cities don't get stupid about it though with the corporate welfare.

Depends what amazon values: worker pool or major tax subsidies?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:10 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
I'm guessing it comes down to Pitt, Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte or an about to be rebuilt Orlando.

50 K jobs is enormous, let's hope these cities don't get stupid about it though with the corporate welfare.

Depends what amazon values: worker pool or major tax subsidies?

Which is why I think they will go to Newark. Rich talent pool in NYC area and strong schools in Jersey (Rutgers, Princeton, Rowan). And Jersey has pitched a sweetheart deal rich on incentives and tax breaks. Basically Amazon is being given just about anything they want in either Newark or Camden. They can pick between greater NYC or greater Philly. The Camden offer has been rumored to include a pretty sizeable regionale airport in nearby Millville NJ (Home of Mike Trout).

New Jersey has offered up a $7 BILLION incentive package to Amazon for HQ2.
https://qz.com/1175659/the-darker-side- ... eepstakes/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:33 pm 

So are Camden in Newark no longer cesspools? I'm out of the loop.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:45 pm 

R S wrote:
So are Camden in Newark no longer cesspools? I'm out of the loop.

They are cesspools. But they have tons of real estate/buildings that are ripe to be taken over or even just razed to build a new campus. They have direct public transit in (and out) of two major cities. Camden is actually interesting as the waterfront, Rutgers-Camden, and areas around the two major hospitals is pretty nice. The commute from Camden to Center City Philly is just 5 minutes on the PATCO high speed line. Philly has a pretty sizable pool of engineering and tech talent to draw from. I don't think think current cesspool would scare amazon at all. It is probably beneficial for them to take over a diamond in rough as they can get it much cheaper. As long as trans and infrastructure is solid and the area talent pool is large they will likely be interested. $7 billion in incentives can polish up any turd.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:05 pm 

But those turds are petrified

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:05 am 

Looks like we're down to the top 20. My money is still on Austin:
Atlanta
Austin, Texas
Boston
Chicago
Columbus, Ohio
Dallas
Denver
Indianapolis
Los Angeles
Miami
Montgomery County, Md.
Nashville, Tenn.
Newark, N.J.
New York City
Northern Virginia
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Raleigh, N.C.
Toronto
Washington, D.C.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:19 am 

Pabst wrote:
Atlanta
Austin, Texas
Boston
Chicago
Columbus, Ohio
Dallas
Denver
Indianapolis
Los Angeles
Miami
Montgomery County, Md.
Nashville, Tenn.
Newark, N.J.
New York City
Northern Virginia
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Raleigh, N.C.
Toronto
Washington, D.C.

Half that list is bogus, the tax suspension piece, the sheer volume of Amazon orders into those MSAs and incentives for final tweaks from the four or five short listers explain the straw man cities. Employees would not want to live work play in some of these places. Wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh is finalist but its tax piece could kill the deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:32 am 

Pabst wrote:
Atlanta
Austin, Texas
Boston
Chicago
Columbus, Ohio
Dallas
Denver
Indianapolis
Los Angeles
Miami
Montgomery County, Md.
Nashville, Tenn.
Newark, N.J.
New York City
Northern Virginia
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Raleigh, N.C.
Toronto
Washington, D.C.

Half that list is bogus, the tax suspension piece, the sheer volume of Amazon orders into those MSAs and incentives for final tweaks from the four or five short listers explain the straw man cities. Employees would not want to live work play in some of these places. Wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh is finalist but its tax piece could kill the deal.

I think it will be one of these 4...

Newark, DC/Northern VA, Austin, Pittsburgh...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:35 am 

The entire process is bogus. Amazon knows damn well where they intend to go, they're just using this process to gain incentives from that city.

Quote:
I think it will be one of these 4...

Newark, DC/Northern VA, Austin, Pittsburgh...

I feel like Raleigh is a dark horse. But hey, who knows.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:59 pm 

Found this thread amusing:

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/954017861617451008

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:14 am 

if No VA doesn't already have the worst traffic on the east coast, just add that Amazon HQ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am 

Pabst wrote:
Atlanta
Austin, Texas
Boston
Chicago
Columbus, Ohio
Dallas
Denver
Indianapolis
Los Angeles
Miami
Montgomery County, Md.
Nashville, Tenn.
Newark, N.J.
New York City
Northern Virginia
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Raleigh, N.C.
Toronto
Washington, D.C.

Yea I'd rank Austin high on that list too

My guesses:
Nashville
Austin
Raleigh
Indy as a darkhorse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:46 pm 

My money is on ATL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:54 pm 

A lot of people speculating the DC area because they feel Bezos can use it swing some clout in Washington. Not sure I buy or even understand that argument but that is one theory going around.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:24 pm 

Pabst wrote:
The entire process is bogus. Amazon knows damn well where they intend to go, they're just using this process to gain incentives from that city.

^^^THIS ^^^ in spades!!

I told my wife that I hope it does not come to Indy. The area has already gotten ass rapped by the Colts on the Stadium deal.

One of the spots in Indy is fairly near my house so if they do show up, my house price will increase by about $100K

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:02 am 

LGBT community up and arms about Amazon considering cities with where gays are legally allowed to be persecuted. :roll:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/201 ... 082126001/

Talk about faux outrage.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:53 am 

They just jumped the shark going after Rose McGowan for no good reason. Now she had to cancel her book tour because of one idiot.

Her story makes me sad. At one time she was pretty delicious and a damn good talent. Glad Weinstein is going down but sadly the movement is turning into unfocused hysteria.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:40 pm 

Amazon split the baby by deciding to have two HQ2 sites...NYC and D.C. They will be getting $2.5 billion in corporate welfare. BTW, these areas are about as blue as can possibly be on the political spectrum. Funny how tax breaks for businesses in general is bad, but making it rain Benjamins for Bezos is all good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:56 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
Amazon split the baby by deciding to have two HQ2 sites...NYC and D.C. They will be getting $2.5 billion in corporate welfare. BTW, these areas are about as blue as can possibly be on the political spectrum. Funny how tax breaks for businesses in general is bad, but making it rain Benjamins for Bezos is all good.
Who said it was good? Mayor DeBlasio didn't want amazon in NYC, Cuomo did, but he's looking at it as a state issue since NYC feeds the rest of the rural red state. It's had plenty of resistance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:22 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
Who said it was good? Mayor DeBlasio didn't want amazon in NYC, Cuomo did, but he's looking at it as a state issue since NYC feeds the rest of the rural red state. It's had plenty of resistance.

Yes, I'm painting a broad brush here. I acknowledge some democrats have spoken out about how much money was thrown at them. Though De Blasio wasn't one of them. He stated time and time again that he wanted them to come to "NYC". He did say NYC wouldn't give them a huge break to make it happen. NYC ultimately gave them a huge tax break. De Blasio also stated in his presser that he was thrilled they chose NY. This would not happen if the bulk of the political establishment didn't support it. Whether you reside in a Red or Blue state corporate welfare is alive and well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:42 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

Yes, I'm painting a broad brush here. I acknowledge some democrats have spoken out about how much money was thrown at them. Though De Blasio wasn't one of them. He stated time and time again that he wanted them to come to "NYC". He did say NYC wouldn't give them a huge break to make it happen. NYC ultimately gave them a huge tax break. De Blasio also stated in his presser that he was thrilled they chose NY. This would not happen if the bulk of the political establishment didn't support it. Whether you reside in a Red or Blue state corporate welfare is alive and well.
https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-de-blasio-amazon-hq2-destructive-to-communities-new-york-city-2017-10

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/real-esta ... -francisco

DeBlasio's position is how amazon will contribute to the infrastructure and affordable housing. I don't know the details of the agreement. All I know is that LIC is not prepared to support 25,000 new workers at that location from a transportation standpoint, and it will gentrify most of the communities that support the big wigs in manhattan. Amazon says it will contribute $4B. The newly elected representative has opposed the plan. DeBlasio and Cuomo must have come to some sort of agreement, but I disagree with you that both liberal and conservatives ipso facto suck corporate ass. Just look at liz warren, otherwise mockingly known as pocahontas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:14 am 

what a disgrace...each of those LIC jobs is costing the NY taxpayer 48K.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... al/575539/

glad PGH didn't get it...I agree with this author...the system is completely designed to make oligarchs richer. BTW they vote Democrat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:26 pm 

You have to hand it to Bezos...he did the impossible...Tucker Carlson and Rep. Ocasia-Cortez both are united against him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:47 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
You have to hand it to Bezos...he did the impossible...Tucker Carlson and Rep. Ocasia-Cortez both are united against him.

Bezos is brilliant. He is a douchebag, but he is brilliant. This whole ordeal was essentially a ploy to sweeten the pot for where he wanted to expand to anyway. By the way, I don't think this is truly over. It is a two horse race now that will take years to fully play out. But eventually one of these locations will prove be bigger winners (or losers, depending on how you view it). And on top of the sweet heart deals he got from NYC and North VA, he also got mounds of data and information on other locales basically handed to him. Amazon is privy to infrastructure plans (and pipe dreams) of dozens of cities that no other company has. It also has huge leverage for any other expansion it may want to consider down the road... even somewhat small endeavors like a new regional warehouse facility or a new AWS datacenter.