It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who is the fattest here ?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:44 pm 

Fresh water lakes in central FL.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:48 pm 

I don't think I've ever had fresh talapia. I've eaten farmed raised a time or two and it was so bad I haven't had it again. Gotta watch the heavy metals with fish, gotta be aware of arsenic levels in rice. Don't eat shrimp or any other seafood from china. If you've seen the water some of it's pulled from, you know why.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:59 pm 

Pretty sure there are concerns with every meat, vegetable, fruit. Just depends what your concerns are. I grow as much as I can in my small backyard with veggies & fruit. I have 6 chickens too. Well 5 chic 1 rooster.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:00 pm 

Not a fan of tilapia....give me perch or walleye any day. Usually what I go to for a filet, will try to get some tuna and salmon sushi twice a week.

Anyway, yes, you can buy fruits and vegetables relatively cheap if you buy every other day and eat them promptly...talking volume movers like Aldi's that basically buys "ripe" with little-to-no shelf life remaining (which is really when it's ready to be eaten, anyway), and also "bruised" rejected by higher-end stores that is purely aesthetic defect.

Most of us eat too much meat. The RDA for a 2000 calorie diet is only about 4-5 oz of protein (fish & meat).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:01 pm 

Anyway, sorry to get off topic...my point was that lifestyle takes care of weight depending on hobbies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:11 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Not a fan of tilapia....give me perch or walleye any day. Usually what I go to for a filet, will try to get some tuna and salmon sushi twice a week.

Anyway, yes, you can buy fruits and vegetables relatively cheap if you buy every other day and eat them promptly...talking volume movers like Aldi's that basically buys "ripe" with little-to-no shelf life remaining (which is really when it's ready to be eaten, anyway), and also "bruised" rejected by higher-end stores that is purely aesthetic defect.

Most of us eat too much meat. The RDA for a 2000 calorie diet is only about 4-5 oz of protein (fish & meat).

I've had walleye, it's damn delicious. Most store bought tilapia turns to mush. You'd be surprised how firm fresh can be. Think orange roughy to sea bass.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:18 pm 

VanWilder wrote:
Anyway, sorry to get off topic...my point was that lifestyle takes care of weight depending on hobbies.

Agreed, I'm not a real, ahem, Nazi when it comes to my diet. I just don't eat refined suger, hydrogenated oils, or really anything from a box. I used to drink WAY too much booze and ate too much fried food and bbq. I still had a lot of muscle tone just from activity. Today, at 40 yo, that may not have been the case, if I were to have continued on boozing like a maniac, and gorging on bbq all the time. But I changed my ways, and still have the drop on 99% of the 20yo's out there. Active lifestyle and genetics will cover up a lot of sins, for a long time, but not forever.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:39 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:
VeritasSteel wrote:
Laying the Wood wrote:
I was at Cedar Point over the weekend and got to experience some time with the general populous. It put a lot of things in perspective.

We live in a weird country. The shortages of the past have steeled in our minds to prepare for a winter that never comes. Spent most of my 40s trying to get to 300# woke up one day after a business trip and decided it was time to do better and finish a workout plan. They used to ask if I played football, then they asked if I was an LB, pretty soon I'll be a safety. Cover corner might be a bit much.

Do some boxing training- lots of core work (throw punches from your core not your arm) and jump rope (you can burn 1000 calories in an hour)- do it in the pool starting out to take the stress off your knees.

I gotta get back to swimming

Me too man, since I came to Georgia swimming pools are a luxury, not a necessity like in Florida

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:54 pm 

R S wrote:
is this tongue in cheek? Now I'm assuming you are American, and I'm assuming you didn't grow up during the depression (the avatar is a good hint). This country is fat because of soda and processed foods in abundance. Not because we went through some extreme hardship anytime recently. Probably not enough hardship, that's what creates fat, soft, turds.[/img]

Bro I was born in Pittsburgh but I have lived in the south after my parent's divorce. I think the depression has made the average American want to make sure they had enough to eat no matter what and that his filtered down to our modern times. Every mother in here made sure you cleaned your plate and if you grew up with Italian or German or Polish portions it just became the norm.

I would agree about the sodas and foods. But soda has been around for nearly a century and processed foods since after WW2 but the obesity thing has only started to kick in since the late 80s. I think that leads to your point about hardship- kids dont get any these days. We want to shelter them and protect them but not challenge them. Most kids these days would rather give up when they face hardship than to press on- and that makes for fat, soft, turd people who want others to make their decision for them and are comfortable in jail cell-like living conditions.

The reference was an accidental one to Steelers fans- I was thinking more the hardships of winter and the mindset you have to have to go through it. Especially in cold wintery central Florida- lol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:45 am 

VeritasSteel wrote:
R S wrote:
is this tongue in cheek? Now I'm assuming you are American, and I'm assuming you didn't grow up during the depression (the avatar is a good hint). This country is fat because of soda and processed foods in abundance. Not because we went through some extreme hardship anytime recently. Probably not enough hardship, that's what creates fat, soft, turds.[/img]

Bro I was born in Pittsburgh but I have lived in the south after my parent's divorce. I think the depression has made the average American want to make sure they had enough to eat no matter what and that his filtered down to our modern times. Every mother in here made sure you cleaned your plate and if you grew up with Italian or German or Polish portions it just became the norm.

I would agree about the sodas and foods. But soda has been around for nearly a century and processed foods since after WW2 but the obesity thing has only started to kick in since the late 80s. I think that leads to your point about hardship- kids dont get any these days. We want to shelter them and protect them but not challenge them. Most kids these days would rather give up when they face hardship than to press on- and that makes for fat, soft, turd people who want others to make their decision for them and are comfortable in jail cell-like living conditions.

The reference was an accidental one to Steelers fans- I was thinking more the hardships of winter and the mindset you have to have to go through it. Especially in cold wintery central Florida- lol.

I get what you're saying. But I'd wager to say Europeans as a whole had MANY more hardships than Americans during the 30s and 40s. There aren't herds of 300lbers running around all over he place in European countries. And as a whole, Gyms are much more of a thing in the USA than Europe. It all comes back to processed food. Which was made MUCH more abundant when the FDA (with the backing of sugar companies) started a massive campaign that fats were unhealthy and killing us. They started making everything FAT Free with a ton of sugar. That change by the FDA started a crazy upward trend of obesity and heart disease. It's the sugar. It really is.

Spend a week in Germany or Italy, hell, even Poland.(Using your examples) The amount of morbidly obese people you see is astonishingly low. When you see a fat slug waddling around, it's usually an American tourist. Yes, they bike and walk more in Europe, but it's the lack of processed sugary foods they eat over there. Book it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next