It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: favorite hot sauce
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:32 pm 

Grew up on Tabasco but never really enjoyed the flavor.

Addicted to franks red hot now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:37 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:45 pm 

Trappeys red devil sauce. Not hot, but the flavor! Mmmmm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:36 am 

Actually anything Hot! I made some experimental stuff the other day. I took some store bought barbecue sauce. Mixed in some tabasco, crushed red peppers (pizza topping) and topped it all off with some honey and a dash of soy sauce. Spicy hot (Peppers/tabasco), sweet (3 teaspoons of honey) and salty (dash or so of soy sauce) and tangy (store bought BBQ sauce). Hits all the good tastebud senses for me. I used it on a couple of corndogs the other day. Breathing Fire.... :twisted:

Also have as many as 6 Jalapeño plants, 1 habanero plant in the back yard.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:49 am 
Big fan of the hot and spicey myself.

I use to have a large garden and Annaheims, Jalapenos, Hungarian Wax, and cherry peppers are real high yield where I live. So I both putter around the kitchen and I'm frugal...OK cheap if you believe most of those I've cohabited with...so I'm not wasting that big end harvest.

So while I'm a fan of BBQ and Hot sauce...I've always thought both could have a better flavor profile...mostly less sweet and less vinegar, more depth of flavor.

So I'm roasting peppers off for Colorado chilli and it gives us a spark of an idea- why not roast of a variety of chillies, manipulate the heat via variety and/or amount of seeds and membrane left as a base for a hot/BBQ sauce? And for depth of flavor why not add some caramelized onion, roasted garlic, even a small amount of diced carrot and/or raw sweet onion, add a little bit of water,bring it to a boil, tilt the pot and hit it with the immersion blender until it's as smooth as desired?

It turns out I love the stuff...I use it as base for everything from BBQ sauce where you can add salt, tomato paste, adobe, worcestershire, ketchup, etc, thin to desired. Hot sauce add white or cider vinegar, lil tomato paste, lil anchovy paste, water depending on vinegar. Homemade salsa, eliminate blender add diced tomato...or add roasted tomatillo prior to hitting with blender.

You can come up with a bunch of variations based on the variety of chillis you use...can even reconstitute some of the exotic dried peppers and add them prior to blending...cilantro and a touch of oregano work well in salsas...I've cooked off the base with a lil sourmash, tomato paste, brown sugar and rosemary for a pretty damn good bbq sauce...you can mess around quite a bit...I always refrigerate though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:38 am 

For pain and burn I will use Dave's Insanity Sauce (recommended 1-tsp per gallon of chili for heat) or Colon Blow that shit is hot.

For flavor I can essentially drink it is Cholula and all of its flavors chili lime, garlic, and the chipotle. The chipotle is good on about anything I love adding it to soup or sandwiches. Crystal hot sauce is a good basic flavor enhancer. I used to work at a bar that sold hot sauces and have tried a stupid amount over the years.

Pickapeppa sauce is also very good with a rich flavor from Jamaica and tastes great on a cold cut sandwich. turkey or beef being ideal. also works with seafood.

I also like to add a little Old Bay to hot sauce or Cajun spice to hot sauce for a little change up in flavor profile.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:21 am 

Tronic would have loved this thread. I believe he used to talk regularly about the variety of hot peppers he grew.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:53 am 

R S wrote:
Tronic would have loved this thread. I believe he used to talk regularly about the variety of hot peppers he grew.

I choose to believe Tronic IS enjoying this thread along with all the other threads.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:25 am 

I do like the Jamaican ones also, Pickapeppa is pretty nice.

What I love are the Jamaican Jerk sauces. The heat from Jamaican food comes from Scotch Bonnet peppers, which are essentially Habaneros. There are different types of Jamaican Jerk you can end up with, so be careful:

1) a bunch of spices in oil, this is sometimes on jerk wings, it sucks, mostly
2) a brown sauce with good spice and flavor, this is great on wings or putting on anything else. This is what BW3 and other wing places use, and it rocks.
3) a jerk seasoning. This is used for cooking, not as a topping, it has chunks of peppers and spices.
4) a jerk marinading. Obvious uses.

Walkerswood makes some great jerk stuff.

I stopped fucking around with retard levels of heat a while ago. I enjoy flavor over burn.
Srirachi I will use almost like ketchup, great on everything.

What I also recommend, is cheap ass Jalapeno green sauce and Chipotle sauce. As in the Tabasco green (and tons of clones).

Down here in Texas we get the Cholula sauce line. Their red is a good red better then generic tabasco/louisiana/red hot sauce, it has more character.

I havent tried their chili ones, but as recommended before a Chipotle sauce is a wonderful thing.
Chipotle is smoked Jalapeno, it is one of the best flavors on earth. Awesome in food, and dark beers.
Likewise an Ancho is a smoked Poblano. Another great one to cook with is a Guajillo.

Here is some more info:

http://www.patismexicantable.com/blog/i ... es/page/2/
http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/chili.html

And something else to check out if you have a oriental foodstore. Thai peppers. Very nice heat in a small package. A friend of mind turned me on to a lovely flavored oil. Take a 1/4 cup of olive oil, thinly slice up 4+ thai peppers, add seeds and all in a glass jar and store in fridge. You will have a flavored oil ready to go. Now use that oil instead of butter for your eggs in the morning.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:58 am 
To play off what Slobber said about Habaneros...if you remove the membrane, seeds, and mince it's an acceptable level of heat with a smokey, citrus flavor profile...add just one of those little bastards whole to a big pot of of chilli and most people are only eating a spoonful.

I'm also a fan of chipotle...the Mexican brands of adobo is basically chipotle minus the actual jalapenos.

And I agree that the dried Poblanos and Guajillos really add depth of flavor...without cranking up the heat...more licorice and smoke. Generally the dried peppers have a heat rating on the label--- def pay attention.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:01 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
R S wrote:

I choose to believe Tronic IS enjoying this thread along with all the other threads.

Believe brother!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:31 pm 

I have 2 ghost pepper plants and 3 habaneros going in my backyard.

Picked my first ghosts a couple days ago. They are brutal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:55 pm 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:

What I love are the Jamaican Jerk sauces. The heat from Jamaican food comes from Scotch Bonnet peppers, which are essentially Habaneros. There are different types of Jamaican Jerk you can end up with, so be careful:

2) a brown sauce with good spice and flavor, this is great on wings or putting on anything else. This is what BW3 and other wing places use, and it rocks.
3) a jerk seasoning. This is used for cooking, not as a topping, it has chunks of peppers and spices.

I've been using Walkerswood for probably 16 years. I've never found a jerk seasoning that even comes remotely close. They probably have some other good stuff in Jamaica but i've never found anything near as good here in the States. Thankfully i'm able to find it in some stores here in Florida. I had to order it when I was living in Alaska.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:41 pm 

For those looking for the taste over the heat check out the scoville scale. Just so you know what you are getting yourself into. I've had peppers that made me cry. Sweating like I just ran a mile, tears from the eyes, nose and salivating like I had rabies in addition to terrible hiccups and Nothing, I mean Nothing would stop my mouth, throat, tongue and lips from feeling like they were Literally on Fire. Milk can help a little. Lime/Lemon can help. The citric acid neutralizes the fire sensation. Also good for heart burn cases too. The milk fat absorbes the pepper fat and you swallow it removing the pepper fats (the fire feeling) from your mouth. Never, Never drink water, ice water or even popsicles. All you do is saturate your entire mouth and make the fire feeling much worse throughout. Good Luck all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:43 pm 

Chocolate works well too. I had a good friend in high school, he was originally from Costa Rica. They would have chocolate with their dinner every night. I couldn't believe it. I was jealous cause chocolate isn't an American garnish like they would have. I found out why when we partied one New Years Eve in 1992. Took the edge of the heat fast and everyone loves chocolate. Learned something invaluable that night. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:38 am 

SteelerDog wrote:
i am a lifelong Tabasco man......recently digging Sriracha......others?

Tijuana Flats has a hot sauce bar.

The favorite is called "Smack my ass & call me Sally"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:40 am 

SteelerDog wrote:
R S wrote:

true

miss the hell outta that guy

This.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:46 am 

I'm a siracha guy. I like sweet hot like mango habanero too

Zivco that BBQ recipe does sound good.

My wife made a salsa once with a diced up ghost pepper. I was just about to go for a run when I took a bite. I think I fuckin sprinted the whole time running from the pain. Holy fuckin wow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:08 am 

Love me some hot stuff.

We make our own, though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:59 am 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:

I stopped fucking around with retard levels of heat a while ago. I enjoy flavor over burn.
Srirachi I will use almost like ketchup, great on everything.

What I also recommend, is cheap ass Jalapeno green sauce and Chipotle sauce. As in the Tabasco green (and tons of clones).

Down here in Texas we get the Cholula sauce line. Their red is a good red better then generic tabasco/louisiana/red hot sauce, it has more character.

I havent tried their chili ones, but as recommended before a Chipotle sauce is a wonderful thing.
Chipotle is smoked Jalapeno, it is one of the best flavors on earth. Awesome in food, and dark beers.
Likewise an Ancho is a smoked Poblano. Another great one to cook with is a Guajillo.

Here is some more info:

http://www.patismexicantable.com/blog/i ... es/page/2/
http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/chili.html

And something else to check out if you have a oriental foodstore. Thai peppers. Very nice heat in a small package. A friend of mind turned me on to a lovely flavored oil. Take a 1/4 cup of olive oil, thinly slice up 4+ thai peppers, add seeds and all in a glass jar and store in fridge. You will have a flavored oil ready to go. Now use that oil instead of butter for your eggs in the morning.

Are you saying you add hot sauce to dark beers??? Definitely never tried that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:30 am 

STD, give this one a try:

http://store.davesgourmet.com/ProductDe ... tCode=DAIN

Make sure you put at least a teaspoon in your next batch of gumbo.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:47 pm 

R S wrote:

If you like tequila at all we used to drink shots of tequila with a dash of Tabasco. Try it some time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:40 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
R S wrote:

If you like tequila at all we used to drink shots of tequila with a dash of Tabasco. Try it some time.

It is called "A Prairie Fire". try adding a dash of salt and shaking it comes of kinda refreshing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:25 pm 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:

Dude, you and I are totally on the same page.

That Walkerswood Jerk sauce is the SHIT when it comes to making Chicken Wings or Grilled Thighs over Dirty Rice.

They make an outstanding product, I have used it for years. Toss the Walkerswood in a bowl and pour a little beer in there to make a sauce that coats the Chicken. Puree some Mango in a blender and top the Grilled Chicken while adding some chopped Cilantro and you have yourself a great dish.

Pickapeppa is also a great sauce, I use it often, (think a more interesting A-1 Sauce). I put that on Fried Catfish sandwiches all the time!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:39 am 

With regard to Walkerswood jerk seasoning, i'll put a teaspoon into my pasta sauce to give it a nice kick. Actually tastes great mixed with a tomato sauce.