It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Josh Gordon Suspended for full year
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:53 pm 

He could have punched seven women in the face and still got two games in this year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:09 pm 

steelman65 wrote:
GGoodel is hiding behind its a negoatiated policy..

Honestly, I think the stance is they fear a string of DUI busts if they exclude marijuana. They seem to have enough now with the penalties in place that the fear isn't unjustified.

And the other issue is players getting stoned 24/7. The NBA and MLB don't have complicated systems and playbooks to learn, nor the NHL. That fear may not be unjustified, but NFL teams probably feel the league policy is policing it sufficiently and it's not something they want to take on themselves (i.e. if it isn't broke, don't fix it).

In other words, the teams/NFL think the policy helps a significant number of players exercise self-control (which players like Bell/Holmes/Blount/Gordon clearly lack).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:35 pm 

What do you really expect he hundred league in a substance-abuse program and was suspended for two games last year. Now he got his third and fourth violation getting busted for weed and on the DUI they had to take that into account

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:42 pm 

Dude needs to get his life together. If Blount and Bell are morons for screwing their teammates before a preseason game, where do you put Gordon on the IQ spectrum. With their QB and WR situation outside of him, he's damn near torpedoed their season. The mood in that locker room must be somber, to say the least.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:52 pm 

He def has a track record. But I really think the reason the NFL takes such a hard stance on weed is because it's still a Schedule 1 CSA drug and the NFL gets such preferential treatment from the Feds that the NFL is asked, behind the scenes, to model their policy accordingly.

I'll take my tinfoil hat off now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:19 pm 

As little optimism I have for our D at present I did pick them up to use week 1 in my fantasy league.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:19 pm 

I'm of the opinion that some of you mix up 'it should be legal and not against NFL policy' to smoke dope.. ....with... ...it could cost a player A LOT OF MONEY, hurt the team, the owners, and the fans.

I have no problem with those that enjoy pot...but I do wonder about those that are willing to risk so much for so little (even if it 'should' be legal) enjoyment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:05 am 

The Players' Association really screwed the pooch by leaving the drug policy unchanged and letting Goodell make up personal conduct policy discipline on the fly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:10 am 

Smoke pot = lose your career

Beat women = who gives a fuck?

Exactly the message the NFL has decided is palatable to their market. Probably correctly, but I don't think it says very good things about us as fans.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:02 am 
The whole beat women vs weed stuff is just horse shit.

Fact is according to the cops and the emt's nothing. Not a bruise, no concussion symptoms, nothing...blood alcohol might have been nice.

This whole narrative disgusts me. Women aren't always right. They sometimes lie. They sometimes put on an act. NFL players commit domestic violence at half the rate of the population at large. Rice faced the same justice you or I would and was fined 500k.

She has been with him for years and chose to marry him after the incident. There is video of him dragging an "apparently" unconscious woman out of an elevator and nothing more. I don't believe for a second she was KOed...and I think 500k is excessive.