It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: With our dline problems and if Sam gets cut by the Rams.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:17 am 

BarryFoster wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Is he any good at ping pong?

Based on preseason, I would eliminate all games: ping pong, foosball, xbox and air hockey.

Really show them.

:roll:

You could take all of that...but you can never....take....rock paper scissors.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:33 am 

to be fair, Ethan Westbrooks is a pretty good player who should have been drafted ahead of Sam.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:38 pm 

Grantland had a piece on worst units in the NFL. I perused to see if our Oline was on the list (they weren't). I did however find that our Dline was considered one of the bottom 4 Dlines in the league.

Yowza. Obviously Sam isn't the answer. To run a 3-4 you need a badass at nose tackle. You can have jags elsewhere on defense, but not here. (sidebar: i remember the crazy story of UT taking Hampton off the line when they were working on their running game. Basically he was demoralizing the offense and they figured they wouldn't have to face anyone else like him so they sat him in practice)

As much as i liked the Tuitt pick, i was hoping that we would be able to find a badass NT and move McClendon to DE.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:49 pm 

I like Billy Bob from Varsity Blues. Intense, will play w a concussion, can kill the fg blocking team, true do it all nose tackle.

All he requires is maple syrup with a straw.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:11 pm 

SteelBack wrote:
The only thing less likely than the Rams cutting Sam is Rooney firing Tomlin.

Thanks

Laughed and cried some at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:36 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
Grantland had a piece on worst units in the NFL. I perused to see if our Oline was on the list (they weren't). I did however find that our Dline was considered one of the bottom 4 Dlines in the league.

Yowza. Obviously Sam isn't the answer. To run a 3-4 you need a badass at nose tackle. You can have jags elsewhere on defense, but not here. (sidebar: i remember the crazy story of UT taking Hampton off the line when they were working on their running game. Basically he was demoralizing the offense and they figured they wouldn't have to face anyone else like him so they sat him in practice)

As much as i liked the Tuitt pick, i was hoping that we would be able to find a badass NT and move McClendon to DE.

Unfortunately, you aren't going to see the NT on the field more than 40% of the D side snaps any given season. This means that even if you DO find another Hampton, you aren't taking him in the 1st round.

I don't know why anyone thinks McClendon would make a good DE. He struggles to anchor at NT against better quality centers (compare to Hampton, who consistently demanded double teams and even then trashed blocking schemes)... And you want to stick him someplace where he might have to slide?

SBI is that McCullers pans out. Won't be in more than relief duty this season, but then, what was McClendon doing his first season?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:43 pm 

I don't see how an undersized 4-3 DE would help our 3-4 defensive line.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:43 pm 

Steeler Jones wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

Unfortunately, you aren't going to see the NT on the field more than 40% of the D side snaps any given season. This means that even if you DO find another Hampton, you aren't taking him in the 1st round.

I don't know why anyone thinks McClendon would make a good DE. He struggles to anchor at NT against better quality centers (compare to Hampton, who consistently demanded double teams and even then trashed blocking schemes)... And you want to stick him someplace where he might have to slide?

SBI is that McCullers pans out. Won't be in more than relief duty this season, but then, what was McClendon doing his first season?

I'm not sure he'd be a good DE either. I trust him there more than i trust him at the nose. put it this way. There are 50 guys walking the planet who can play a decent 3-4 DE. There are maybe 5-10 that can play NT. It's a rarer bird.

RE: 40% of the snaps, it's always been the case that the NT departs in the nickel. The position is still critical. If i can take away your run game on 1st and 10 and kick your ass on short yardage running plays i'm pretty happy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:03 pm 

Sam has played well, but he's not good enough to be active OLB on the roster at this point.