It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bengals coaches baiting players, to see if they bite
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:19 pm 

Quote:
Bengals coaches admit baiting players in practice, to see if they bite
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 12, 2016, 3:42 PM EDT

CINCINNATI, OH - JANUARY 09: Vontaze Burfict #55 of the Cincinnati Bengals reacts in the third quarter against the Pittsburgh Steelers during the AFC Wild Card Playoff game at Paul Brown Stadium on January 9, 2016 in Cincinnati, Ohio. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images) Getty Images
The Bengals lost a playoff game because they lost their cool.

So while the coaching staff isn’t talking specifically about the loss to Pittsburgh which ended last season, they’re making sure their players get the message that flying off the handle won’t be tolerated.

According to Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com, Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther used the example of Draymond Green punching LeBron James in the crotch in the NBA Finals as an example of how quickly things can backfire when players let their emotions get the better of them during games.

“That first meeting when we got back here in the spring, for at least my guys, it was one of the most important meetings I’ll ever have here,” Guenther said. “We gotta understand what we did good, understand what we did bad, can’t run from it. Handle it like men. Understand, hey, this is part of our history. We just can’t brush it to the side like it never happened. . . .

“I told them, ‘we’re gonna continue to put our foot on the gas pedal, we’re gonna play fast and physical.’ But we gotta understand, it ended our season a year ago, being stupid.”

Guenther said he’s even gone to offensive players to try to bait his guys into skirmishes in practice, just to see if the message is getting through.

So far, neither Vontaze Burfict nor Adam Jones has responded, which was the goal.

“They’re two very good players, very competitive guys,” Guenther said. “They want to win at everything. Every drill. Everything. They don’t want to lose at anything. That’s how I want them to be. But they have to understand, they’re flagged by other teams. Other teams are going to try to get them out of their game, by doing some other things to them. They have to take the next step as a pro and walk away.”

If last year’s playoff loss doesn’t drive that message home, however, it’s hard to imagine any drill in practice ever will.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/12/bengals-coaches-admit-baiting-players-in-practice-to-see-if-they-bite/

From the Comments:
Quote:
jmc8888 says: Aug 12, 2016 4:10 PM
Vontaze Burfict will go Vontaze Burfict.

He did it in high school. Even to fellow USC recruit Matt Barkley by going after his knees. (Maybe that’s one of the reasons he ended up at ASU)

He did it in college at ASU. Regressing every year and getting more and more psycho. Lost quite a few games with his antics. Then he threw his coach under the bus and ‘went pro’, even though his coach was the one who was covering for him, but was forced to FINALLY suspended him for the bowl game. Yeah, that was the disrespect… finally being actually punished.

Then he had that horrendous combine test, blamed everyone but himself in the interviews, and tested positive for pot.

The first time I saw him play. His first college game I thought he had first round pick talent, and it wasn’t even close. By the time he finished I said I wouldn’t take him as an UDFA. He destroys teams. His idiocy is infectious. I sure wouldn’t want him to injure some teammate (like he did at ASU to someone 70 lbs lighter, a small, younger WR).

He’s a cancer.

So what has happened since? Well he got a chance on the Bengals. He did better for a while, and then it all started happening again culminating with the Steelers/Bengals fiasco which harmed both teams and he’s still got a suspension to go.

During this entire time, people have been trying to reach Burfict, like everyone has been trying to reach Manziel, but in Burfict’s mental craziness.

So does anyone really think it stops here? Maybe he’ll tone it down for awhile, he has done that before. Toned it down for awhile, only to have it come up again and again.

Any given Sunday, Vontaze Burfict can go Vontaze Burfict.

I hope he gets it together, really I do. But I’ve seen this song and dance more than the macarena.

jbdvks says: Aug 12, 2016 4:25 PM
Can you get a cat to bark? You are who you are….

vottorific says: Aug 12, 2016 5:05 PM
I love watching these guys play. For all the crying out there about them, I bet everyone tunes in to watch them play. Especially the steelers games. Kinda like watching a Nascar race just for the wrecks.

crownofthehelmet says: Aug 12, 2016 5:06 PM
Good idea, but he’s going about it all wrong. Guenther should have had someone dress up like Joey Porter, stand still with his hands in his pockets and a smile on his face, minding his own business. That surely would test their tempers.

Post subject: Re: Bengals coaches baiting players, to see if they bite
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:21 pm 

Quote:
After Hard Lesson, Bengals Are Finished ‘Being Stupid’
Cincinnati coaches are using camp to test players on not losing their cool so a repeat of the Pittsburgh playoff debacle won’t happen. Plus notes on Tim Tebow the pitcher, feuding teammates in Washington and more

CINCINNATI — It was Vontaze Burfict’s first day back at practice, and he came flying into the hole during a 9-on-7 drill, going full bore at Bengals teammate Jeremy Hill.

The whistle blew. The two jawed. There was pushing and shoving. And it was over.

In fact, the fight—if you even wanna call it that—was done so quickly that no one outside of the drill even noticed. I was standing 30 yards away, and had to be told about it after practice. And coaches who were there swear that had this played out last year, the two guys, neither known for having the most level disposition, almost certainly would’ve scrapped.

That’s how last year’s playoff loss to the Steelers has lingered here.

“Last year ended, we covered that the first week of the offseason program,” Bengals coach Marvin Lewis told me after practice. “And there’s been no mention of how the season ended since then.”

Photo: Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Vontaze Burfict’s personal foul late in the wild-card loss to the Steelers helped leave Marvin Lewis and the Bengals 0-5 in the past five postseasons.

Maybe not, but the marks it left are everywhere. And we’ll explain how that’s a good thing for a Bengals team that’s been stuck on good-not-great for too long.

Later in this week’s Inside The NFL Notebook, we’ll cover Tim Tebow’s pitch for baseball, Robert Griffin III’s surge to the starting job, Drew Brees’ immortality, Jared Goff’s learning curve and much more. But we’ll start with the under-the-radar storyline I found most interesting during my eight-camp swing before breaking off to attend to more important matters. That one is here in Cincinnati, where the Bengals have made the playoffs five straight years, but haven’t won in the postseason since beating the Houston Oilers in 1991.

To be sure, all the one-and-dones were frustrating. But the previous four were nothing compared to how Cincinnati, in its home stadium, handed Pittsburgh a trip to Denver. From the Hill fumble to the Burfict headshot to the Adam Jones meltdown, the Bengals penned an unimaginable new chapter to an old story.

“We gave them the game,” quarterback Andy Dalton said. “The big emphasis since then is we’ll lose games if we do stuff like that. We lost a very important game because we made some stupid mistakes. Marvin’s done a good job of stressing that point, we’re playing within the rules, there’s no extracurricular stuff going on. When the whistle blows and the play’s over, don’t worry about anything else.”

So no, they haven’t plastered the final score on the walls or hung pictures of Joey Porter around the office for motivation. Nor have the coaches rehashed the end of the game much with the players of late. Instead, the reminders come in the lessons.

On offense, it’s the coaches incorporating a ball into every drill, and running specific drills like one where backs carry a five-pound football and another where the ball is attached to a rope that a coach is pulling to try and jar it loose.

“It gets addressed real quick, and you say, ‘This is how we’re gonna get over it, this is our process from here on out on how we’re gonna make sure we do everything we can to make sure we’re ready for that situation,’” said recently promoted offensive coordinator Ken Zampese. “How to carry the ball. How to carry your pads. Not being casual at any time with the ball in your hands. All that stuff goes into it.”

Defensively, the fix has to be more abstract, since it isn’t easy to teach hot-headed athletes to keep their cool.

Third-year defensive coordinator Paul Guenther, himself a budding head-coach candidate, has used stories of teams coming undone in other sports through the spring and into summer as they happened. One example that Guenther brought to his guys—Draymond Green’s low blow on LeBron James that turned the NBA Finals.

“That first meeting when we got back here in the spring, for at least my guys, it was one of the most important meetings I’ll ever have here,” he said. “We gotta understand what we did good, understand what we did bad, can’t run from it. Handle it like men. Understand, hey, this is part of our history. We just can’t brush it to the side like it never happened. …

“I told them, ‘we’re gonna continue to put our foot on the gas pedal, we’re gonna play fast and physical.’ But we gotta understand, it ended our season a year ago, being stupid.”

To nail down the point, Guenther has gone to offensive players and asked them to test and push his defensive starters in certain ways during practice, with the overriding message being, “If you lose it here, you’re gonna lose it in a game.” And Guenther’s taken it to another level with Jones and Burfict, because he knows that opponents and officials won’t be cutting them any breaks.

“They’re two very good players, very competitive guys,” Guenther says. “They want to win at everything. Every drill. Everything. They don’t want to lose at anything. That’s how I want them to be. But they have to understand, they’re flagged by other teams. Other teams are going to try to get them out of their game, by doing some other things to them. They have to take the next step as a pro and walk away.”

So far, Lewis, Zampese and Guenther have seen the response they want.

They also know the real test doesn’t come until the season starts, and defenses try to strip Hill, and offenses try to bait Jones and Burfict into reverting to old habits. That’s why, for now, Lewis doesn’t think they need a re-telling of why the coaches are doing things the way they’re doing them.

“Those are the lessons they’ve had all the time, that hasn’t changed,” the 14th-year coach said. “You paid a price and this is why. This is why you have to do it right all the time.”

The players here know the alternative all too well.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/10/cincinnati-bengals-nfl-training-camp-notebook