It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is the NFL Worse vs Previous Years?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:57 pm 

dropemjaybird wrote:
I honestly don't think it has to do with the violence (in some regard), the speed, or even whether today's generations likes football... I mean we aren't talking about them, we are talking about us. I don't think fantasy football stats even make a difference.

The problem is the experience of watching the game. It's over officiated with instant replays and so much gray area for rules that you simply don't know whether what you just watched and experienced will stand.

It's like people say about Basketball, watch the last 2 minutes and that's all you need.

Well the same is with watching pro football - wait until after the play before you celebrate or sulk. You simply can't let your emotion "go" while watching a game, because there are any number of gray area rules that can be "enforced" after the play has happened depending on numerous factors. It's just not enjoyable.

I can't celebrate a big hit because well maybe someone will throw the "hitting too hard" flag.
Can't celebrate an incomplete pass because maybe the DB's hand touched the shoulder of the WR a fraction early.
Can't celebrate a catch on the sideline because maybe bobble, maybe a foot was a centimeter out, maybe he didn't "complete the catch in the act of turning, nearly falling, then diving for extra yardage".
Can't celebrate an interception because hey - maybe after catching the ball, and rolling over, the ball hit his knee 3 seconds later and it's not a catch.
Can't celebrate a big run because one official decided someone's hands were too far outside the numbers and we'll call holding on this play despite not calling it 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 plays previously.

When I said it's not about violence, it's about perceived violence thanks to fast speed HD replay... that's ruined hits, and it's ruined catches.... now everything is over analyzed with rules for things that we took for granted.

Great post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:07 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
dropemjaybird wrote:
I honestly don't think it has to do with the violence (in some regard), the speed, or even whether today's generations likes football... I mean we aren't talking about them, we are talking about us. I don't think fantasy football stats even make a difference.

The problem is the experience of watching the game. It's over officiated with instant replays and so much gray area for rules that you simply don't know whether what you just watched and experienced will stand.

It's like people say about Basketball, watch the last 2 minutes and that's all you need.

Well the same is with watching pro football - wait until after the play before you celebrate or sulk. You simply can't let your emotion "go" while watching a game, because there are any number of gray area rules that can be "enforced" after the play has happened depending on numerous factors. It's just not enjoyable.

I can't celebrate a big hit because well maybe someone will throw the "hitting too hard" flag.
Can't celebrate an incomplete pass because maybe the DB's hand touched the shoulder of the WR a fraction early.
Can't celebrate a catch on the sideline because maybe bobble, maybe a foot was a centimeter out, maybe he didn't "complete the catch in the act of turning, nearly falling, then diving for extra yardage".
Can't celebrate an interception because hey - maybe after catching the ball, and rolling over, the ball hit his knee 3 seconds later and it's not a catch.
Can't celebrate a big run because one official decided someone's hands were too far outside the numbers and we'll call holding on this play despite not calling it 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 plays previously.

When I said it's not about violence, it's about perceived violence thanks to fast speed HD replay... that's ruined hits, and it's ruined catches.... now everything is over analyzed with rules for things that we took for granted.

Great post.

Could not agree more!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:21 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
I am so sick of slick. I want guys reading sports news who look like real sports fans, not senior partners at Goldman Sachs.

No ridiculous graphics, but cigar and cigarette butts, playing cards, poker chips and beer shot glasses and unopened mail from divorce proceedings on the set.

I'm with you but those days are gone forever.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:23 pm 

dropemjaybird wrote:

It's because of this I am contemplating doing something else with my Sundays.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:27 pm 

Wrong thread.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

Last edited by Jeemie on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:28 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
One more thing...domed stadiums suck...I used to love those games played in Cleveland in the mud...if football is a metaphor for battle, it should be played in the elements...

I'm not a Luddite either, field turf is better than astroturf, a bad idea of the 70s only rivaled by doughnut shaped. multipurpose stadiums. Today's outdoor stadiums are definitely superior.

Completely agree with this although the TRS fans here won't agree.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:29 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Blount...you gotta hold onto that football like it's one of your dime bags.

:lol: :lol:

Wrong thread!

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:01 am 

A lot of good memories came out of TRS

That doesn't mean it was a good stadium

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:23 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
A lot of good memories came out of TRS

That doesn't mean it was a good stadium

Was my point exactly in that thread a few weeks back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:21 am 

dropemjaybird wrote:
I honestly don't think it has to do with the violence...

The problem is the experience of watching the game...

<<< It's over officiated with instant replays and so much gray area for rules that you simply don't know whether what you just watched and experienced will stand. >>>

ALL THIS...

Hit the nail on the head with this post^^^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next