It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ratings Tumble
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:00 am 

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ratings-fum ... s-networks

Some blame kneeling & disrespect, some natural trends, some economy, etc. The hard cold facts are the ratings and they have to be dealt with. The solution is terminating Goodell. He has absolutely failed as a leader esp with this protest infection. He needed to mitigate the damage while not exacerbating the rage some black players believe is justified. Tough spot for any leader/commissioner; requires skills that Goodell doesn't have.

The league needs a Steelers Cowboy SB.

Post subject: Re: Ratings Tumble
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:17 am 

I tend to believe the Mark Cuban argument that the game has become over saturated. I also think the millennial generation doesn't have the attention span to watch TV for 3 straight hours to watch a football game which is ultimately hurting ratings as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:39 am 

Correlation does not imply causation. Jut because the ratings are dropping at the same time these protests are happening does not mean that they are related. As always, things are much more complex that that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:53 am 

USS Steelerworks wrote:
I tend to believe the Mark Cuban argument that the game has become over saturated. I also think the millennial generation doesn't have the attention span to watch TV for 3 straight hours to watch a football game which is ultimately hurting ratings as well.
I would actually disagree. Football is perfect for ADHD. The entire three hours is broken up into manageable spoon size portions of plays to be consumed every 24 seconds or so, interrupted by commercials. Each individual play doesn't mean much until someone enters the end zone, and then it starts all over again until the final score is tallied.

Saturated might be a better term, because the violence portion isn't going to attract younger viewers, especially with all the fuss over concussions and the long term effects of head trauma. This is why the NFL tried so hard to deny it. They saw the writing on the wall. Those that still watch will lose interest because life gets in the way. Outliers and the periphery of mainstream culture is growing, and following the conformity of "saturday night lights" and Sunday pro football is diminishing in areas where intellectualism dominates. This is why Trump didn't want a debate during a football game. This is also why the NFL tries so hard to make football intertwined and inextricably tied to american culture, patriotism, apple pie and "family." It "rises above" partisan politics. It's marketing 101.

Hell, MNF would be written into the constitution if they had their way.

Last edited by COR-TEN on Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:39 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
USS Steelerworks wrote:
I would actually disagree. Football is perfect for ADHD. The entire three hours is broken up into manageable spoon size portions of plays to be consumed every 24 seconds or so, interrupted by commercials. Each individual play doesn't mean much until someone enters the end zone, and then it starts all over again until the final score is tallied.

Saturated might be a better term, because the violence portion isn't going to attract younger viewers, especially with all the fuss over concussions and the long term affects of head trauma. This is why the NFL tried so hard to deny it. They saw the writing on the wall. Those that still watch will lose interest because life gets in the way. Outliers and the periphery of mainstream culture is growing, and following the conformity of "saturday night lights" and Sunday pro football is diminishing in areas where intellectualism dominates. This is why Trump didn't want a debate during a football game. This is also why the NFL tries so hard to make football intertwined and inextricably tied to american culture, patriotism, apple pie and "family." It "rises above" partisan politics. It's marketing 101.

Hell, MNF would be written into the constitution if they had their way.

I think saturation with respect to viewership comes from a different angle. Football is on TV too much.

Part of its appeal for so long and to so many is, or was, its lack of availability. One game per week. It created anticipation. Now, it's on all the time. Sunday, Sunday night, Monday, Thursday. It's too much football

In my opinion, it's why baseball, basketball and hockey have limited viewership.

There's always a fucking game on. It dilutes individuals needs to watch any particular game because there will be another one on tomorrow or the next day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:50 am 

Yes, if ESPN and the NFL would just stop with all those pro-life and anti-immigrant messages to assuage the deplorables, the ratings would go up.

COR-TEN parrots stereotypes, but does not think.

I love how the leftists are tolerant for everything in the world, except half their own country.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:10 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Yes, if ESPN and the NFL would just stop with all those pro-life and anti-immigrant messages to assuage the deplorables, the ratings would go up.

COR-TEN parrots stereotypes, but does not think.

I love how the leftists are tolerant for everything in the world, except half their own country.
You really are an idiot. And a troll.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:51 am 

Well reasoned rebuttal.

By the way, can we all agree enough with the October pink swag? The Susan Komen foundation is a scam literally all dressed up in a pretty pink bow:

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news ... e-canceled

If we are going to support breast cancer research, find another organization to support.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:00 pm 

I've been hating the October pink-fest since it began. Just drives me nuts.

Hey, breast cancer sucks. Of course we should do everything we can to cure it and whatever we can to bring more awareness to it. I am all about saving the ta-tas.

But GOD I hate seeing all that pink when I try to watch a football game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:51 pm 

Goodell either needs to walk back his position or hide while the owners do the job on their own as with Cromartie.

The NFL has been a pleasurable avocation and diversion all my life as have the Steelers been a passion.

Ive only watched the Steelers this year. No otehr games, no BSPN, no NFL.Net. I'll avert my eyes to the rest as long as this continues. If it does when Ben retires then so do I.

Bottom line is people watch football as entertainment and as a pseudo tribal allegiance. That allegiance has a limited value to people.

I dont have enough time in the day to preoccupy myself with an NFL that has been transformed into an annoyance.