It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ratings Tumble
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:26 pm 

"But GOD I hate seeing all that pink when I try to watch a football game."

I wouldn't mind if it weren't such a scam. But they are taking advantage of people's charity. Find a better charity.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:49 pm 

Well this is why the NFL thinks its ratings are tanking. I don't buy it.

http://deadspin.com/nfl-memo-blames-plu ... 1787539401

I think it's a number of variables but I believe over-saturation is a big one. They tried to be a 24/7/365 league and I think a lot of people are just over it. Youth participation is down so they're probably losing that viewership demographic. The league itself (especially ownership/management) has gotten way too big for its britches and people like myself associate it with hubris and don't wish to funnel our time and dollars there. I believe the climate of support for corporate welfare for billionaire owners is also at an all time low. People get pissed when their public dollars build these venues and then they get priced out of attendance. These are IMO just a few key factors at play. I think it has nothing to do with the election of the matchups. We've always had shitty matchups and yet ratings were still high. And the election isn't hindering people from watching on Sunday afternoons, where ratings are also down.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:40 pm 

" I believe the climate of support for corporate welfare for billionaire owners is also at an all time low. "

I'd love to think so but look at the billionaire welfare graft going on in Vegas to get the Raiders.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:39 am 

Too many flags, too many nitpicky rules, too much stoppage time, too many commercials, too many reviews, TOO ANAL, trying to be TOO PERFECT, people are just sick of the obsessive compulsive bullshit. Just do something to keep the game moving FASTER, with less stoppage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:44 pm 

Some of it is also due to the slow death of cable/satellite. I don't know why anyone who was single and busy would want to pay a cable bill. All these games can be viewed on the Internet.

Kap plays Sunday and it will be interesting to see how that plays out with ratings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:25 am 

Heres the reasons imo

1. First and foremost effecting and driving everything else is this, the nfl literally reached its peak with its core audience a few years back. Every presumptive American male sportsfan was already juiced in and accounted for. This gigantic largest in the history of the world sports business had no more growing room.

2. What were once almost entirely longstanding family run entities in the teams, that largely were seen by ownership as perks of old money wealth not nesscessarily without some standing but also not nesscessarily the sum total of their monetary existence, were all largely owned by an even wealthier multibillionaire class. Most of which had bought in again as a perk of wealth, but also as an entity fully capable of not only handling multi billion dollar action but at least in their eyes, had plenty of avenues for heretofore untapped growth and producing returns of such on their investments.

3. Most of those admittedly very astute owners looked at the nfl game as foodstuff, a leisure pursuit, a widget, that seemingly had much more room to grow. Their team was a vastly under priced rental property in an increasingly exclusive neighborhood. Of course the rent should be raised.

4. That group of proceeded to make deep and lasting changes to the game that had never withstood even anything close to that in its entire existence. Primarily those changes were mainly about 2 things. 1. Protecting the huge yet achingly and largely uncontrollably fleeting investments they had in product production by way of the players, and 2. Marketing and selling the product far beyond its admittedly small percentage wise core base of presumptive American male sports fan, which as I noted previously was at absolute cradle to grave full capacity. An extremely rare feat that quite honestly im not sure has ever been accomplished in history before on that large a scale or depth of capacity.

5. Those 2 things, much like many growth stimulus ideas worked. The owners large investments, mostly in marquee players and positions worked. 30 years old was no longer the far off tolling, ever closer bell it once was. Injuries to QBs, largely the face and marketing appeal of a successful franchise were drastically reduced and lessened in their severity, other positions noted similar although probably not as drastically derived, increased production lifespan. Additionally and tied to that, the nfl plan to market far beyond presumptive American male sportsfans took hold as well. Globally not nearly as far as they seemed to hope, but huge numbers of women and males in America became invested in the nfl product. Fantasy football exploded. Viewership kept increasing and not in small part. People who heretofore had zero to very little investment or knoweldge of the sport jumped into the deep end of the pool by the millions. Profits up. Future bright. Full speed ahead. The nouveau nfl robber barrons were correct in their ruinations. Profits confirmed it. Brand value proved. Market studies screamed it.

6. One problem though. Its not what you think either. The core nfl fanbase was still consuming every last drop it could. They CANT LEAVE. They are junkies. Addicts. Hooked up to the machine for life. The problem was like alot things, multilayered and nuanced beyond mere fixing or adjusting.

7. That growth stimulus ? It was absorbed and now the machine needed yet again more.

8. That new influx of consumers ? Well, they were never REALLY fans to begin with and just dove in headfirst in hysteria that they actually had yet another entity offering discounts, coupons, specials, incentives, etc etc for the privilege of consuming product with generally zero regard for the real product, which wasnt really a product to its core base but a life.

9. The actual product. The game itself. It resembled reality tv far more than the sport it sprang from. The game wasnt REALLY executed well. It wasnt REALLY a true test. It didnt REALLY embrace its natural skin. It didnt REALLY look feel or taste viscereal bold bloody final or genuine anymore. Being truthful, it was kinda boring. An acceptable distraction while consuming at McBistros. An afternoon nap. Something to do when you lacked something you really wanted to do. And those new consumers ? Well, they are gonna find some other kind of craptacular fountain of cherry flavored that doesnt taste at all like cherries but more like a red crayon if you invented a sugary red crayon taste in a lab that went down easy because it appealed on the same zero food value of marshmallows bullshit to consume after their girth and gauche has spread its confluence beyond yet another product

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:34 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Some of it is also due to the slow death of cable/satellite. I don't know why anyone who was single and busy would want to pay a cable bill. All these games can be viewed on the Internet.

That's what I think the NFL is missing out on: if they could somehow make it like Netflix where you pay per game watched I think they might have a survivable business model. But like you said, the Internet is killing their ratings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:55 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

That's what I think the NFL is missing out on: if they could somehow make it like Netflix where you pay per game watched I think they might have a survivable business model. But like you said, the Internet is killing their ratings
I'm not sure accessibility is the issue. There are plenty of ways to watch, whenever you want, as long as you pay.

For me it's quite simple. 1. No new fans due to current social attitudes toward mainstream thinking - coupled with over saturation. 2. No new fans due to violence and concussions. The NFL can't get out from under the long term effects of head trauma. Socially, this is frowned upon. Moms aren't letting their kids play and develop an attachment to the game. Just like what happened to boxing. This equals no new fans over the course of one generation and sliding ratings. It's really only a few percentage points, from what I read though.

Fandom is also fickle mistress. I'd venture a guess that only 30% are die hard fans, and the rest are bandwagon jumpers based on success or friendship.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:40 pm 

The lack of kids at games due to prices will fill the coffers short term but long term it spells doom. I'm wondering where the thirty year old fans are going to come from in twenty years. They're not going to football games but playing and watching soccer or lacrosse.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:03 pm 

A lot less kids are playing, I forget which one, but a Western PA high school dressed only 16 players for a varsity game this past weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next