It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Around the League
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:26 pm 

I have serious doubts the Pats got the worst of this deal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:28 pm 

tunch wrote:

Mankins has always been overrated IMO.

This saves a ton of money the next couple of years for the Pats as well. Gives them a ton of flexibility.

Wright is an interesting player who I'm sure they'll use much like Hernandez.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:30 pm 

This move also frees up some cap space for the cheats. I think even if Wright only pans out as average this trade was better for the cheats. Dump a huge cap hit of an aging OG Mankins (highest paid guard in NFL) for a young upstart TE with good potential and (allegedly) a 4th RND draft choice in 2015 certainly ain't the worst deal I've ever seen the cheats do.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:31 pm 

tunch wrote:

Pats win almost every deal when you look at long term value/contracts, etc. It's why they win their division every year. That said, at some point extending that window compromises their ability to win in the moment.

I guess it depends on what you want.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:44 pm 

I'm sure Wright will turn into Gronk 2 and Mankins will catch Ebola in the Bucs locker room

Seems like the general feeling in Patsy land is "WTF?" at the moment though

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:00 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
This move also frees up some cap space for the cheats. I think even if Wright only pans out as average this trade was better for the cheats. Dump a huge cap hit of an aging OG Mankins (highest paid guard in NFL) for a young upstart TE with good potential and (allegedly) a 4th RND draft choice in 2015 certainly ain't the worst deal I've ever seen the cheats do.

THey take a 12M cap hit as all of his bonus hits their books now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:24 pm 

COS wrote:
I'm sure Wright will turn into Gronk 2 and Mankins will catch Ebola in the Bucs locker room

Oh you mean like that Richard Seymour trade? That sure turned out well for them. The D hasnt been the same since.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:28 pm 

COS wrote:

That's a pretty good sign since Pats fans are the most aggressively stupid fan base I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:29 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
tunch wrote:

Pats win almost every deal when you look at long term value/contracts, etc. It's why they win their division every year. That said, at some point extending that window compromises their ability to win in the moment.

Bills, Jets, Dolphins...That's the reason the Pats win their division every year. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:31 pm 

steelclan wrote:
COS wrote:

Oh you mean like that Richard Seymour trade? That sure turned out well for them. The D hasnt been the same since.

Their issues on D have largely been due to a porous secondary. Seymour didn't do much while in Oakland, and they got Nate Solder with the draft pick from that trade. I'd say the Pats made out pretty well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:31 pm 

TB wrote:
tunch wrote:

Mankins has always been overrated IMO.

This saves a ton of money the next couple of years for the Pats as well. Gives them a ton of flexibility.

Wright is an interesting player who I'm sure they'll use much like Hernandez.

Richard Seymour. Played in 2 pro bowls for Raiders and played damn well on a really, really bad team. AFter he left Pat's run d and interior rush took a huge blow. Not to mention Seymour's locker room presence. That was a shitty trade and just because it is the Pats doesnt mean it equates to a good move. Yes, I know the MSM will circle the wagons for the BB circle jerk, good for them.

I see it this way. Pats main strength on O? A power running game and pass pro. Their oline last season was one of the best in the NFL. From that oline they lost a stud RT, and in Mankins a guy that still played at a pro bowl level when healthy. In return they got a receiving TE with zero blocking skills and a 4th rounder...

Brady doesnt need another tight end he needs what Randy Moss brought to him in 2007 and he hasnt had since: a field stretching WR. Hell go get Andre Johnson, trade Mallet and a draft pick for him. Meanwhile the scary combo of Edelman and Thompkins will lead Pats to the playoffs were they will once again face a team that will dare the pats to go deep and force the Pats to move the ball with all 11 defenders crammed up at the LOS. Jets did it, Ravens did it 3 times and Broncos last season, result? One win because Rats royally choked in a game they shoudlve won at a canter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:44 pm 

Could also say something about Gronks health.

Regardless, wright can be a serious weapon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:57 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:

A serious deep weapon? Mate it hasnt been the lack of intermediate threats that has stalled the Pats offense in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:01 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
tunch wrote:

Bills, Jets, Dolphins...That's the reason the Pats win their division every year. :lol:

This. Since their last Super Bowl win, the Patsies have been pretty much the Cowher Era Steelers in terms of feasting on a weak division and choking in the playoffs. With a franchise QB. Bellichick has done a pretty good job of maintaining a reputation without much to show for it, at least tangibly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:01 pm 

steelclan wrote:
SteelKnife wrote:

A serious deep weapon? Mate it hasnt been the lack of intermediate threats that has stalled the Pats offense in the playoffs.

A serious seam/end zone weapon, which they were also lacking when gronk got hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:19 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
steelclan wrote:
SteelKnife wrote:

A serious seam/end zone weapon, which they were also lacking when gronk got hurt.

Serious based on one ok season with a bad team and few options outside Vincent Jackson in passing game? He is also a horrendous blocker. As oppose to an OG with pro bowl ability that was the glue of one of the better inside running games in the league? Just because they gained a seam threat will that make up for a deficit in run blocking and pass pro? Im not opposed to the idea of Pats trading a major piece on their team I question the player they targeted. Brady has a very small window left to compete and the lack of a seam/red zone hasnt been the Pats issue. Go watch the Pats v the Jets and Ravens in playoffs. They jam the receivers and force Brady to throw the ball into tighter and tighter windows. The best way to push a D back is a down the field threat. Tim Wright aint it. Neither was Hernandez.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:57 pm 

Ice wrote:
This. Since their last Super Bowl win, the Patsies have been pretty much the Cowher Era Steelers in terms of feasting on a weak division and choking in the playoffs. With a franchise QB. Bellichick has done a pretty good job of maintaining a reputation without much to show for it, at least tangibly.

That made my mind go into a vertical scroll like those old tv sets. Well said.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:20 pm 

COS wrote:
steelclan wrote:
COS wrote:

Their issues on D have largely been due to a porous secondary. Seymour didn't do much while in Oakland, and they got Nate Solder with the draft pick from that trade. I'd say the Pats made out pretty well.

Wrong Seymour played damn well in Oakland for a crappy team. Solder gave up 12 sacks last season, damn those pesky facts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:49 pm 

steelclan wrote:
COS wrote:
steelclan wrote:

Wrong Seymour played damn well in Oakland for a crappy team. Solder gave up 12 sacks last season, damn those pesky facts.

Solder gave up 8 sacks total the two years prior, I still think he is an above average tackle. Seymour had a couple of good years in Oakland, got hurt and has been out of the league. I also don't think Seymour would have did much to fix their horrific secondaries.

Plus Seymour has been out of the league for 2 years now, while Solder will be a fixture in protecting Brady for the rest of his career.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:06 pm 

Their issues on D have largely been due to a porous secondary. Seymour didn't do much while in Oakland, and they got Nate Solder with the draft pick from that trade. I'd say the Pats made out pretty well.[/quote]

Wrong Seymour played damn well in Oakland for a crappy team. Solder gave up 12 sacks last season, damn those pesky facts.[/quote]

Solder gave up 8 sacks total the two years prior, I still think he is an above average tackle. Seymour had a couple of good years in Oakland, got hurt and has been out of the league. I also don't think Seymour would have did much to fix their horrific secondaries.

Plus Seymour has been out of the league for 2 years now, while Solder will be a fixture in protecting Brady for the rest of his career.[/quote]

Mate in 2011 Solder gave up 4 sacks as a part timer, Light and Vollmer were the starters.

Seymour moved on in 2009, the raiders got 3 1/2 very good seasons from him. In 2009 the Pats without Seymour faced the Ravens in the wild card, remind me how that game went? I'll give you a hint: the Ravens ran it down the Pats throat. In 2010 the Pats d leaked yards all over the place. In 2011 they were the 3rd worst in the NFL yards per play from LOS. Only Tampa and GB were worse. I bring these years up because they went from a very solid run d and stellar interior pass rush to crossing their collective fingers Vince Wilfork made a play. In all 3 of those season they were in the playoffs with homefield, though wild card homefield isnt a huge ad.

In those 3 years Seymour continued to play pro bowl caliber ball. Yes Solder will be around for longer but his long term impact remains to be seen. He has had one good season and one mediocre season. Im not saying Seymour means another SB in NE but he sure wouldnt have harmed their chances.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next