It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: Houston @ The Evil Empire
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:32 pm 

[

Those "flat-footed lobs" were by design.

Jesus...[/quote]
Not talking about the lobs done for lobs sake-- Brady does not have the giddyup in his arm he used to have. Watch when he tries to drive the ball in the intermediate range and also when he tries to give a little extra to the deep ball. He's still very accurate, but driving the ball is much harder for him than it used to be.[/quote]

His passes sure seem to have more of a Chad Pennington float to them. If Texans DBs made any attempt to track the ball they could've had a field day. It especially got under my skin because in just about all of those situations the CBs had help over the top.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:33 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
How many times have they beaten us when it really counted? Once with Ben? I think you make too much of this supposed dominance.

No...their dominance is real. We've only beaten them twice in the Ben/Brady era when both played.

The "when it counts" didn't really matter...I shouldn't have added it. But we're obsessed because we know this time if we are to get to the Super Bowl, we'll have to go through them (provided we get by Kansas City). And if anyone here says they're confident we can beat them, they're expressing unwarranted bravado.

Hence the mixture of emotions yesterday...we wanted Houston to pull off the upset because we know that would make the path to the Super Bowl a little easier. But at the same time, I'm betting some of us don't want a fourth trip there where we didn't have to face the Pats to get there.

This isn't just projection...other posters have said similar things.

At any rate, it is clear the Pats are in many Steeler fans' heads. Best to just admit it and move on.

We've always played them in early season, long before both teams were peaked. Pats were established with their core and their system and playing largely inferior Pittsburgh teams in that stretch. The AFCCG in 2004 was the only real dominance and that is a long time ago... for both teams and both QBs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:34 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
How many times have they beaten us when it really counted? Once with Ben? I think you make too much of this supposed dominance.

No...their dominance is real. We've only beaten them twice in the Ben/Brady era when both played.

The "when it counts" didn't really matter...I shouldn't have added it. But we're obsessed because we know this time if we are to get to the Super Bowl, we'll have to go through them (provided we get by Kansas City). And if anyone here says they're confident we can beat them, they're expressing unwarranted bravado.

Hence the mixture of emotions yesterday...we wanted Houston to pull off the upset because we know that would make the path to the Super Bowl a little easier. But at the same time, I'm betting some of us don't want a fourth trip there where we didn't have to face the Pats to get there.

At any rate, it is clear the Pats are in many Steeler fans' heads. Best to just admit it and move on.

Count me among those that wanted the easiest path to the Super Bowl. Ideally, we would be visiting Oakland today (without Carr) and hosting Houston last week. In '08, I was confident we were getting to the Super Bowl before our first playoff game. As soon as Baltimore beat Tennessee (remember, we had lost AT Tennessee in the season finale), I saw the clear path to the Super Bowl.

While beating New England in Foxboro for the AFC Championship is ultimate football erotica, I would have much preferred that the Pats lost last night.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:34 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

hard to disagree, but historically I guess that would make us the Houston Oilers? I personally think that This team has a legacy of it's own, at the very least it is a young team with an opportunity to create it's own legacy and either way they need to take care of business today and next week. The opponent doesn't really matter because regardless if they want to win they have to play solid football. I think that if the Pittsburgh Steelers play solid, consistent football, they can beat any of the remaining teams.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:36 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

We've always played them in early season, long before both teams were peaked. Pats were established with their core and their system and playing largely inferior Pittsburgh teams in that stretch. The AFCCG in 2004 was the only real dominance and that is a long time ago... for both teams and both QBs.

2007 was week 14.

2010 was week 10.

2013 was week 9.

What's your definition of "early in the season"?

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:38 pm 

At any rate, it is clear the Pats are in many Steeler fans' heads. Best to just admit it and move on.[/quote]
We've always played them in early season, long before both teams were peaked. Pats were established with their core and their system and playing largely inferior Pittsburgh teams in that stretch.

The AFCCG in 2004 was the only real dominance and that is a long time ago... for both teams and both QBs.[/quote]

Maybe not dominant in terms of scorelines but the Pats have consistently beaten PS. I'm not worried about that at present because KC presents a daunting task on the road. Oline will have to ball out tonight. If Houston is playing, Villy will face his toughest match up of the season. It is all the more reason to run right at Houston when he is on the field and test his knee out with a heavy dose of Bell.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:44 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
And if anyone here says they're confident we can beat them, they're expressing unwarranted bravado.
Bullocks.

The steelers have what it takes to beat NE. The Pats are not infallible. It is completely within the realm of possibility the Steelers win in Foxborough. And it's not unwarranted bravado. They have the skill, talent, and coaching (yes, coaching) to win a road game in NE. Not acknowledging this is living in fears.

Seems the Pats got into your head. Hopefully the steelers, provided they get past KC, won't let silly confidence issues get in the way of the correct mind set. Seems you've already concluded they can't beat the Pats without some kind of miracle. As do many other steeler fans. I think that's unwarranted.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:04 pm 

steelclan wrote:
tunch wrote:
steelclan wrote:
Yet without that hold call yesterday his big punt return makes that a very close game.

This is dumb. Without the hold/shove in the back, Hester is slowed and gets corralled or he's just straight tattooed onto queer street.

If player isn't held and gets off LOS it is a guarantee he slows down Hester? Sure it is. So I'm not allowed to assume and you are. Copy.

I'm talking about the gunner that Sherman shoved - which likely gets called without the tackle at the line.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:11 pm 

This is dumb. Without the hold/shove in the back, Hester is slowed and gets corralled or he's just straight tattooed onto queer street.[/quote]

If player isn't held and gets off LOS it is a guarantee he slows down Hester? Sure it is. So I'm not allowed to assume and you are. Copy.[/quote]

I'm talking about the gunner that Sherman shoved - which likely gets called without the tackle at the line.[/quote]

So they would've called it had they not thrown flag on hold? I see, so the refs had that pen in the bank if the first pen doesn't get called.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:22 pm 

steelclan wrote:
His passes sure seem to have more of a Chad Pennington float to them.

Take it easy on Chad Pennington. He a quality, classy quarterback.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next