It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: Timmons
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 945
I had the good fortune to work with many players suffering from post-concussion issues (almost certainly some level of CTE). If what is going on is in fact mental health/cte related, I hope he has a strong support system and can find the help he needs to manage. Most players, unfortunately, do not. Once the money and prestige dries up, so does their entourage. And help is not easily asked for nor readily available.

_________________
Image


Last edited by SteelKnife on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: Timmons
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 pm
Posts: 1267
If this is the onset of CTE at 31, I'd say it's time to find a soccer team to root for.

_________________
Three's a charm. #StanleyCup
-- Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) June 12, 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: Timmons
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 7076
it's still yggy wrote:
If this is the onset of CTE at 31, I'd say it's time to find a soccer team to root for.


Seriously. If this is what is happening how in the hell can we root for these guys to bang into each other if it means dementia at 31?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: Timmons
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:58 pm
Posts: 609
Orangesteel wrote:
it's still yggy wrote:
If this is the onset of CTE at 31, I'd say it's time to find a soccer team to root for.


Seriously. If this is what is happening how in the hell can we root for these guys to bang into each other if it means dementia at 31?


That's where I am at this point. Many here would call me a pussy for it, or for refusing to let my kids play football.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: Timmons
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 4925
Holy shit. Talk about jumping the gun. Everyone screams CTE at the first sign of something unusual.

I read the posts here.

Quote:
.......does not thing it is CTE relate.

.....was headed to Pennsylvania where his child lives.


hell, the one article insinuates that Miami knew he was dealing with a personal issue.

There could be a thousand reason he took off.

I don't think after 10 years of playing for the Steelers, he goes to a new team and CTE just kicks in.

Seems he is more likely dealing with some family stuff.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: Timmons
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 945
R S wrote:

I read the posts here.




Perhaps, but apparently you did not comprehend them.

Quote:
If this is


Quote:
If what is going on is in fact mental health/cte related


Quote:
If this is what it sounds like

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: Timmons
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1001
Dolphins coach Adam Gase is unsure if SLB Lawrence Timmons will remain with the team going forward.

Timmons is dealing with a personal situation. He was back with the team on Monday. Expect clarity to emerge some time in the next 48 hours.

Source: Barry Jackson on Twitter Sep 18 - 3:13 PM

Hope everything works out for him, whatever it is. Way underrated during his time here. Watched him play in the preseason and he could still play for us and upgrade our overall ILB room, imo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: Timmons
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 7076
I think the reason we are concerned is because he was the consummate pro while he was here and this doesn't seem normal at all. Not really sure what is going on, but if it is a health issue I know the steelers organization will do what's right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: Timmons
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 pm
Posts: 1136
Orangesteel wrote:
it's still yggy wrote:
If this is the onset of CTE at 31, I'd say it's time to find a soccer team to root for.


Seriously. If this is what is happening how in the hell can we root for these guys to bang into each other if it means dementia at 31?


My issue is if they know the risks or not. The NFL not actively trying to cover it up anymore is an important step.
The guys all the way up through the last decade, they had little to no idea. We used to love NFL films blooper reels of them getting clocked and stumbling around.

A player now has a better idea what is coming and how full of shit the NFL's studies and surveys on long-term player mental health and are at least in a better position to assess the risks objectively. The league is also taking better care of them now when concussions happen (although, that system is still getting gamed and there is still a lot to fix).
Some guys are still of the mentality they don't care about what happens later, they want to take care of them and theirs right now, and if it means sacrificing their mind and body, so be it. If those guys know the risks and still want to play, I will still enjoy watching them excel at what very few people on planet earth can do.

All said, I would be very sad if we find Timmons was dealing with mental health issues. That guy ran through brick walls for the Black and Gold every Sunday for decades, never bitched, never complained. He played at a pro-bowl level (even if he didn't get the actual accolades) on some very good defenses. I loved Timmons as a player, and I just hope he's OK and this is a bunch of nothing.

_________________
KC wrote:
Ball game.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: Timmons
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 945
DrMalba wrote:

My issue is if they know the risks or not. The NFL not actively trying to cover it up anymore is an important step.
The guys all the way up through the last decade, they had little to no idea. We used to love NFL films blooper reels of them getting clocked and stumbling around.

A player now has a better idea what is coming and how full of shit the NFL's studies and surveys on long-term player mental health and are at least in a better position to assess the risks objectively. The league is also taking better care of them now when concussions happen (although, that system is still getting gamed and there is still a lot to fix).
Some guys are still of the mentality they don't care about what happens later, they want to take care of them and theirs right now, and if it means sacrificing their mind and body, so be it. If those guys know the risks and still want to play, I will still enjoy watching them excel at what very few people on planet earth can do.

All said, I would be very sad if we find Timmons was dealing with mental health issues. That guy ran through brick walls for the Black and Gold every Sunday for decades, never bitched, never complained. He played at a pro-bowl level (even if he didn't get the actual accolades) on some very good defenses. I loved Timmons as a player, and I just hope he's OK and this is a bunch of nothing.



I generally agree with you re awareness of risk is the most important factor (although, we can get into a whole other debate about whether they really had another choice), but the NFL is still actively seeking to minimize the links between football and CTE. It was carved out of the concussion settlement. Every time a study shows a link, they refute it, or cautiously say "more research is needed." They're still being deceptive.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group