It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Tubmonsters around the league
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:58 pm 

So is "race-baiting."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:07 pm 

Steeledge wrote:
Steel Drummer wrote:
dogwhistle

In politics, to make an innocuous statement which is designed to trigger previously indoctrinated bigotry & hatred without being recognized by outsiders for bigotry or hateful speech.

Ex. “Do you guys ever watch the Steelers' pregame stretch? It's like a buncha guys hanging out and carrying on, waiting for the work release bus to show up...”

:evil:
Listen, Reverend, my entire point was that they just mill around like they have no place particularly interesting to be.

You reverse-racist bigoted Tomlin apologists are the ones kicking this to the ash heap.

I'm done here.
Good day to you, sirs.

You're done here because you've dug yourself into a hole and have the good sense to quit digging. I'll give you that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:08 pm 

Steel Drummer wrote:
So is "race-baiting."

No, actually "race-baiting" and "racism" are equivalent when accurate/appropriate. It's when they're bullshit that it becomes a dog-whistle.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:34 pm 

And who decides when it's actual racism or race baiting?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:38 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Steeledge wrote:
Steel Drummer wrote:
dogwhistle

In politics, to make an innocuous statement which is designed to trigger previously indoctrinated bigotry & hatred without being recognized by outsiders for bigotry or hateful speech.

Ex. “Do you guys ever watch the Steelers' pregame stretch? It's like a buncha guys hanging out and carrying on, waiting for the work release bus to show up...”

:evil:
Listen, Reverend, my entire point was that they just mill around like they have no place particularly interesting to be.

You reverse-racist bigoted Tomlin apologists are the ones kicking this to the ash heap.

I'm done here.
Good day to you, sirs.

Exactly. "Dog whistle" is used by both sides to whip the useful idiots into a frenzy.

The frenetic useful idiots are funny.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:45 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
No, actually "race-baiting" and "racism" are equivalent when accurate/appropriate. It's when they're bullshit that it becomes a dog-whistle.

I'm struggling with your logic, Kodiak. Are you saying that it's only when a claim of race-baiting or racism is spurious that it becomes a dog whistle?

I repeat the definition, which is definition 2 from Urban Dictionary:
dogwhistle

The definition seems reasonable to me. If you are claiming that dog whistling as defined above doesn't actually exist, and is just made up to serve the purposes of "reverse racists," then that is a coherent objection. Laughable, but coherent. But saying dog whistling, by definition, is a false claim of racism, well that's just complete horseshit.

If you want to continue this, I suggest we move it to General Discussion. It doesn't really belong here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:07 pm 

You assholes can fuck up a good thing like arguing about football and bitching about the Steelers coaches by bringing this racial nonsense into it. Thread locked. Next time kids go to the timeout box. Don't make us moderate. Nobody wants to.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5