It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Anthem/Patriotism/The Flag...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:52 am 

fortythree wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Wish all you want, Nick. They're NOT going to stop playing the anthem during NFL games, or at thousands of other sporting events throughout the country. Hell....when my kids were younger, the anthem was played at their swim meets.

It may not be played at music, plays, award shows...but it IS played at sporting events, and will continue to be.

So wish away, that tradition ain't changing, nor, IMO, should it.

Then they could simply go back to pre-2009 and not have players come out before the Anthem.

If Roger was the great business man some say he is, he would have implemented that this offseason as quietly as possible. Now if he does it he'll look bad. But I agree with you at this point. Enough already!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:01 am 

somehow the brits play soccer without anthems before the matches...how do they survive.?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:07 am 

bam morris wrote:
somehow the brits play soccer without anthems before the matches...how do they survive.?

They clearly don't have the same amount of respect for their flag that Americans do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:13 am 

fortythree wrote:
bam morris wrote:

They clearly don't have the same amount of respect for their flag that Americans do.

maybe that's a good thing..
if u having amthems..why not say the lords prayer too ?? then muslims and buddist prayer... then honor the dead the past week with moment of silence.. and the state songs for the 2 opposing teams..and..

Last edited by bam morris on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:26 am 

Miter Saw wrote:
Many of us took the bait on this nonsense.

Reactionary vs rational.

I for one no longer give a fuck and will laugh in anyone's face for even bringing it up.

Fuck your "movement". Fuck your hysteria against this "movement".

I got no time for your nonsense ...and i'll no longer take the bait just because I'm forcefed the idea that I should give a fuck.

Solidarity - whatever. It's a f'n decision to stand or kneel. and everyone's wigged out. Give me a break. More coverage on it than the games. Take your drama out of my sporting event. I'm ignoring it from now on anyway.

Moving on.......

Agreed. Great post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:36 am 

when i was in college 99-2003 we said the lords prayer as a team before every game. I'm going out on a limb and saying that doesn't happen anymore. I imagine there would be massive protests if the student newspaper caught wind of that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:48 am 

Nick79 wrote:
...Why does it have to saturate every sports event, especially constantly throughout every single NFL game from beginning to end? It has nothing to do with FOOTBALL, and they ram it down our throats and act like you can't play a game without it?

I wish they'd stop playing the anthem at games, and stop with all the bullshit military displays every 10 minutes! It's a sport, it doesn't need any politics or patriotism, how about we stop dragging soldiers out on the field every 10 minutes to recognize them, let's send out some teachers or paramedics or social workers that HELP PEOPLE sometimes too along with some soldiers? How about ENTIRE GAMES where we don't mention "the flag", "the troops" etc. none of that has a damn thing to do with football, The main reason for the military overkill is the Defense Department PAID FOR IT.

Me? I'm still watching my favorite TV Show, that's all it is. The protesters have legit gripes, I feel like everyone has legit gripes, the politics of America has ruined life for all of us! We used to be able to escape through sports and entertainment, now they stick politics into our fun too. Me I don't care about the anthem, I DVR the games so I can fast forward past all that useless pregame "and now to honor America" crap-I'm not watching to honor America, I'm watching to SEE FOOTBALL, all my life from when I was a little kid, I've always thought, "C'mon, get this anthem over with, and get to the reason we all showed up, THE GAME". And I will do that for the rest of the season, I'm tuning to watch football, other people's politics won't ruin my game day.

Great post, agree wholeheartedly. As a Canadian watching the constant patriotfest is annoying. EVERYONE (well the vast majority) loves their respective countries, I know I do. Its basically brain washing, propaganda, which you would be able to see IF you weren't brain washed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:59 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
Wish all you want, Nick. They're NOT going to stop playing the anthem during NFL games, or at thousands of other sporting events throughout the country. Hell....when my kids were younger, the anthem was played at their swim meets.

It may not be played at music, plays, award shows...but it IS played at sporting events, and will continue to be.

So wish away, that tradition ain't changing, nor, IMO, should it.

OK, I'll fast forward past it, because I don't need to "honor America" every time I watch a sporting event. When I was in Heinz Field last week I noticed the anthem was about to start, so I went to the bathroom and got a beer instead of heading to my seat, Personally, I'll take off my hat and won't kneel when I'm there for the anthem, but honestly, I don't need it. it's not important to me as part of the game day, never was, since childhood, just something they did that I hoped would end soon, it took until now for me to wonder why they do it? And I'm still not sure. And me feeling this way has nothing to do with soldiers or flags or loving America, I respect the soldiers, the flag and love my country, but I personally don't need or want patriotic/political displays at entertainment events.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:01 am 

Miter Saw wrote:
Many of us took the bait on this nonsense.

Reactionary vs rational.

I for one no longer give a fuck and will laugh in anyone's face for even bringing it up.

Fuck your "movement". Fuck your hysteria against this "movement".

I got no time for your nonsense ...and i'll no longer take the bait just because I'm forcefed the idea that I should give a fuck.

Solidarity - whatever. It's a f'n decision to stand or kneel. and everyone's wigged out. Give me a break. More coverage on it than the games. Take your drama out of my sporting event. I'm ignoring it from now on anyway.

Moving on.......

LOVE THIS^^^

And NOBODY on either side of the issue hates America or hates soldiers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:08 am 

I also go to Baltimore Blast (indoor soccer) games sometimes with my daughter. They annoy the shit out of me, they do the national anthem, God Bless America and Oh Beautiful before every game, takes like 10 minutes, but there I tolerate it, because they bring in high school bands or middle or elementary school kids to sing it, so I figure let the kids have their big moment, but really, the NFL it's gotten annoying as hell, they don't just do the anthem and go on to the game, they stop the game 3-4-5 more times to "Honor America/The Troops/The Flag" enough already, personally America is sad, simply because we always have a war, every year forever.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next