It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Anthem/Patriotism/The Flag...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:17 am 

It's unfortunate that the divisiveness of America has entered sport through the kneeling at the anthem/flag. But perhaps it's due. Regardless, no thanks to Donald Trump for exacerbating the issue. I hope players don't come out for the anthem like before. The Steelers did the right thing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:20 am 

Based on Tomlin's post game...

He wanted 100% agreement or the team would do nothing different. According to Chris Hubbard the vote was a slim majority in favor of staying in the locker room, so we can throw the 100% agreement crap right out the window.

Hubbard said Villaneuava got an exemption.

James Harrison however, didn't seem to know about the exemption.

Tomlin is a player's coach, no doubt... but no doubt this was a distraction going into Sunday. These guys weren't thinking about football, they were thinking about how to use the game as a social platform. That's not going to win football games.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:40 am 

I can't wait for the next time a team requests taxpayer funding for a new stadium.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:43 am 

Seahawks and titans fidvthe same thing. Did they execute as poorly as steelers did?

The Villanueva thing gave this a WWE type spectacle. Just a weird fucking game all around.

This game was like hot summer days when gnats fly into your eyes. Irritating from start to finish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:50 am 

blu wrote:
no thanks to Donald Trump for exacerbating the issue.
This is exactly what he wanted. He wants to control the national discourse, yet again, and the media follows him around like a puppy. It distracts from his ineptness, shenanigans, and idiocy. No natural disasters available, so. . .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:59 am 

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:06 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
blu wrote:
This is exactly what he wanted. He wants to control the national discourse, yet again, and the media follows him around like a puppy. It distracts from his ineptness, shenanigans, and idiocy. No natural disasters available, so. . .

My mention of Trump wasn't to begin a discourse of his presidency as this is not the forum for that & ask that it does not continue. My brief mention was just that his intervention has made this a big NFL issue when it should not be.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:23 am 

blu wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
blu wrote:

My mention of Trump wasn't to begin a discourse of his presidency as this is not the forum for that & ask that it does not continue. My brief mention was just that his intervention has made this a big NFL issue when it should not be.
And I agree. My point was that this is his MO, and the media and everyone just fell into the trap. Again. It's obvious that he uses stupid comments to whip up a frenzy in order to distract. From whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:04 am 

This deal with the anthem is just another example of poor leadership. While you can make the case that the anthem doesn’t need to be played at sporting events, if it is being played, you stand, period. You are a fucking man playing a game for millions of dollars in this country. The fact that this team has an Army veteran on their team and cannot put stupid bullshit aside to stand for him says a lot. I have always loved the Steelers and have been proud to wear gear because it seemed like they stood for something, integrity at a minimum. Yesterday was an embarrassment on many levels.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:05 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
So wish away, that tradition ain't changing, nor, IMO, should it.

I don't think Swiss goes far enough. Standing/singing a song from the 1812 war is hardly enough to instill patriotism/unity into the NFL stadium-attending fans. I think the following should be added: Battle Hymn of the Republic, When Johnny Goes Marching Home, Over There, God Bless America, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, Old Soldiers Never Die, Ballad of the Green Beret, among many others.

I've not seen Hamilton. Maybe there's some song from there to illuminate the Constitutional Convention. Or something.

After an hour or so of this Real 'Merican Music, the attendees will be properly prepared for the their patriotic role in the proceedings: Cursing out the refs for failing to call holding penalties, ogling at/cat-calling the cheerleaders, dancing shirtless before the cameras painted in team colors and drinking themselves into oblivion.

Sporting events are of course where we get our patriotism and communal spirit from. I remember watching the NCAA basketball championship the day Reagan was shot. The announcers duly noted that the attempted assassination had cast a pall over the event. In the meantime the camera panned the crowd, all painted in team colors and acting as though they were in the Colosseum around 120 C.E. What better way to show what we really believe in?

Last edited by StainlessSteel on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next