It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Anthem/Patriotism/The Flag...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:57 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
blu wrote:
no thanks to Donald Trump for exacerbating the issue.
This is exactly what he wanted. He wants to control the national discourse, yet again, and the media follows him around like a puppy. It distracts from his ineptness, shenanigans, and idiocy. No natural disasters available, so. . .

Actually there is a massive natural disaster happening to Americans right now in Puerto Rico.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:05 pm 

steelclan wrote:
W&M_Steeler wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:
Many of us took the bait on this nonsense.

Reactionary vs rational.

I for one no longer give a fuck and will laugh in anyone's face for even bringing it up.

Fuck your "movement". Fuck your hysteria against this "movement".

I got no time for your nonsense ...and i'll no longer take the bait just because I'm forcefed the idea that I should give a fuck.

Solidarity - whatever. It's a f'n decision to stand or kneel. and everyone's wigged out. Give me a break. More coverage on it than the games. Take your drama out of my sporting event. I'm ignoring it from now on anyway.

Moving on.......

Agreed. Great post.

You want sports without politics? Good luck with that because Sports and Politics have been tied together for 100s of years. This post also highlights people who just want to ignore the world around them. People who doing nothing when bigotry, racism and inequality are coming from the highest levels of our own Government....yeah the legacy of that type of behavior isn't good.

I watch football for entertainment, not to receive political lectures from twenty-something year old football players. I don't care what they think, whether I fundamentally support their position or not. I simply don't look to NFL players, coaches, owners, or commentators for political discourse. There are far better sources. So, as a result, I couldn't care less about whether the players stand, sit, knee, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:05 pm 

steelclan wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
blu wrote:
no thanks to Donald Trump for exacerbating the issue.
This is exactly what he wanted. He wants to control the national discourse, yet again, and the media follows him around like a puppy. It distracts from his ineptness, shenanigans, and idiocy. No natural disasters available, so. . .

Actually there is a massive natural disaster happening to Americans right now in Puerto Rico.
I'm guessing he doesn't give a shit about what happens in PR.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:12 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Remember during the 7th inning stretch they played take me out to the ball game? After 911 it was replaced with god bless america. Haven't been to a game in years, but do they still do that?

Only on Sundays

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:16 pm 

One aspect of this that changes everything -- Since 2009, the United States Department of Defense has paid the NFL to stage on-field patriotic ceremonies. As such, this is no longer a matter of a private employer simply forcing an employee to conform with a company policy, i.e., stand for the national anthem. The NFL could be considered a "state actor" because it is performing a governmental function (promoting patriotism) that is endorsed and funded by the federal government. As a "state actor," the NFL is therefore subject to regulation under the Bill of Rights -- in this case, First Amendment protections of freedom of speech and expression. The NFL likely knows this, and that's why they haven't enacted policies prohibiting kneeling, raised fists, etc., or simply fired the "sons of bitches" who engage in protected speech. Political speech is among the most highly protected forms of speech and the NFL would want no part of the ensuing lawsuits if they were to prohibit peaceful, political demonstrations.

I'm not using this post to argue one way or another about the rightness/wrongness of the protests, just providing some food for thought. Many have argued that the NFL is a wholly private corporation and can simply force its players to stand for the anthem or subject them to discipline. Given the government's entanglement with the NFL to promote patriotism, I don't think it's as simple as that anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:18 pm 

North Korea forces you to worship their flag...their government....their military...their thinking. You must be patriot.

Those communist fuckers in the USSR forced you as well. So did those old British kings of whom we found intolerable.

It is Orwellian. Remember in 1984...if you didn't scream loud enough praising Big Brother and country, you were an enemy. And enemy to be locked up. An enemy to be tortured.

You guys all KNOW this.

I'm debating whether to go to another Chicago Blackhawks game. Every game...EVERY fucking game...for well over a decade....they trudge out 2-3 vets and we have to cheer for them. We don't HAVE too...but people get up like robots and start screaming as if they were Dan Daly.

I love our military. But since 9/11, they've become a cult to be worshipped instead of a branch of government with a shitload of money and support from their citizens.

Why not praise a teacher at these games? A charity group? Some young kids who did something nice for school or community? ER docs? Pediatric oncology nurses?

Why not a fireman? A police officer? A scientist who discovered something wonderful? People who run the local food banks or shelters?

Why are they shoving the military down my throat? There's more to the United States than boots and rifles.

We are Athens, not Sparta. Athens became the basis of western knowledge and secularism whose influence is fundamental to civilization to this day. Sparta became a comic book turned into an onscreen graphic novel (albeit a kickass one).

Sporting events are turning into a Spartan comic book...BAM!!! KABOOM!!! VICTORY!!!

p.s. Throughout history, the Athenian navy was just as crucial and heroic in defending Greece from the Persians as the Spartan heavy infantry. Don't say without Sparta, Athens doesn't exist. Without Athens, Sparta doesn't exist. They both were crucial. The Spartans just looked really badass without shirts.

9/11 fucked us in the head good gentlemen. No matter what happens, they won a victory for they changed us that day...and I cannot say for the better.

I want my football back.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

Last edited by ChicagoSteel on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:19 pm 

The NFL could have snipped this in the bud and said "Back to 2009. No teams on the field for the Anthem." Stops all this foolish crap that has nothing to do with the game

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:20 pm 

blu wrote:
It's unfortunate that the divisiveness of America has entered sport through the kneeling at the anthem/flag. But perhaps it's due. Regardless, no thanks to Donald Trump for exacerbating the issue. I hope players don't come out for the anthem like before. The Steelers did the right thing.

It entered the sport when the Defense Department paid the NFL for weekly military displays and celebrations at every game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:22 pm 

Pabst wrote:
I can't wait for the next time a team requests taxpayer funding for a new stadium.

They shouldn't get taxpayer funding even if they stand with hand on heart through the whole thing, then get on their knees and service lady liberty.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:24 pm 

Last edited by blu on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next