It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:30 pm 

Obviously wrote:
KC wrote:
R S wrote:
So I guess the end game is to make it so obnoxious, you drive off half the people that pay the bills in the sport that makes you a multimillionaire. does anyone win? (this is not political, this is about something unrelated to sports overshadowing the games)

I watch hockey thank god. Haven't watched even a minute of a NBA game in a decade or more.

I personally don't like the protests, but I 100% respect their right to protest.

Being forced to stand for a flag means we're North Korea.

I really don't want to be North Korea.

I believe the people swearing off watching the NFL don't really understand what these protests are about.

More room for others at the games, I guess!

Not looking to take their rights away. They have the absolute right to do what they're doing. Those of us who have a problem with them are pretty much what Swiss said. They've chosen the wrong thing to protest. The flag and anthem they are protesting represents their very right to protest. It doesn't represent injustice, racism, bad cops, etc. Somehow Kaepernick and those who followed him believe our country is racist. It's not. Of course there is all that in this country and it is reprehensible, but the flag and country do not represent it.

The people who are protesting don't believe they are full partners in the United States of America. They don't believe the flag represents them.

Here was Kaepernick's original statement when he first kneeled. He explained his position saying: ‘I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of colour. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.’

Whether we agree or don't agree, this is why these protests began.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:42 pm 

Lynch wrote:
Wish it would lead to a reduction in ticket prices

This is where I'm at. Eyeing the Pats tickets in December. Wouldn't mind a 10-15% reduction in price.

Also hope this bumps me up that season ticket waiting list.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:42 pm 

Obviously wrote:
The flag and anthem they are protesting represents their very right to protest. It doesn't represent injustice, racism, bad cops, etc. Somehow Kaepernick and those who followed him believe our country is racist. It's not. Of course there is all that in this country and it is reprehensible, but the flag and country do not represent it.

I'm guessing this gentleman doesn't agree with you:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:48 pm 

Obviously wrote:
KC wrote:
R S wrote:
So I guess the end game is to make it so obnoxious, you drive off half the people that pay the bills in the sport that makes you a multimillionaire. does anyone win? (this is not political, this is about something unrelated to sports overshadowing the games)

I watch hockey thank god. Haven't watched even a minute of a NBA game in a decade or more.

I personally don't like the protests, but I 100% respect their right to protest.

Being forced to stand for a flag means we're North Korea.

I really don't want to be North Korea.

I believe the people swearing off watching the NFL don't really understand what these protests are about.

More room for others at the games, I guess!

Not looking to take their rights away. They have the absolute right to do what they're doing. Those of us who have a problem with them are pretty much what Swiss said. They've chosen the wrong thing to protest. The flag and anthem they are protesting represents their very right to protest. It doesn't represent injustice, racism, bad cops, etc. Somehow Kaepernick and those who followed him believe our country is racist. It's not. Of course there is all that in this country and it is reprehensible, but the flag and country do not represent it.

They don't? So you can cherry pick what the flag stands for? So when the anthem was played in 1860 and we had 4 million slaves anthem the flag didn't stand for that?

It didn't stand for Jim Crow, segregation, lynchings, Japanese internment camps?

You can't have your cake and eat it. You need to deal with America's history good and bad. Yes, the flag represents all of that as does the anthem. The same anthem that has a 3rd stanza btw, maybe when you get time you should go check it out. It is revealing to say the least.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:14 pm 

Quote:
Here was Kaepernick's original statement when he first kneeled. He explained his position saying: ‘I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of colour. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.’

Yet, 9 years ago, this country elected the first black man into the office of the President. Black all across this nation jumped for joy, now they are oppressed. It just goes to show how the political winds change, particularly once the media hops aboard the run-away train. I wonder if these athletes truly understand how much they are being used!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:15 pm 

Of course, Anerica's core wasn't racism but an ideal that was far from perfect (and is still not perfect today). But it was that idea that has freed millions from the bounds of flslavery and from poverty. It was that idea -- ironically perfected in the U.K. -- that largely ended the scourge of slavery. It is ahistorical to think of slavery as an American sin; instead, it was a global sin ended largely by the west. Thomas Sowell has written so much about this and really changes a lot of my views that were more inline with what has been suggested by some posters. Would really suggest reading Black Redneck and White Liberals.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:16 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
Quote:

Yet, 9 years ago, this country elected the first black man into the office of the President. Black all across this nation jumped for joy, now they are oppressed. It just goes to show how the political winds change, particularly once the media hops aboard the run-away train. I wonder if these athletes truly understand how much they are being used!

The stupid, it burns!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:21 pm 

Wish I could post a screen grab from Breitbart comment section on a Steelers article they have up. There are some submental gems. One comment is especially adult:

"Its [sic] the nigger football league. Fuck em all."

I'm not making this up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:22 pm 

Quote:
what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms. the remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. what signify a few lives lost in a century or two? the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure.

Thomas Jefferson, Paris, November 13 1787

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:22 pm 

Quote:
You need to deal with America's history good and bad.

And the way to do that is to constantly revisit stuff from 1860? Since the past can't be changed all that can be done is do better in the future.

I realize if you don't recognize mistakes from your past you could be doomed to repeat them. But that isn't happening and wouldn't.

So what purpose does it serve to have people who were never slaves (or their parents, grandparents, and in many cases great grandparents) to talk about what our nation was over 150 years ago and get upset at people that were never slave owners (or their parents, grandparents, and in many cases great grandparents).

I'm only pointing this out because you have mentioned several times now what the anthem "represented when there were 4 million slaves".

In the words of a former Secretesry of State, at this point what difference does it make?

It was an ugly part of our history. But it's also an ugly part of just about EVERY countries history.

Blacks enslaved other blacks too. And it still goes on to this day when thugs roll through a village and kill the men, rape the women, and enslave the young boys as fighters.

That is happening today. Right now.

Slavery ended in this country 151 years ago. I have no issues with protesting injustice that is taking place today.

I don't see how it helps to bring up an ugly past that only further divides people on the basis of race when none of the people had anything to do with it or were victims of it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next