It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:00 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:
There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.’

Unarmed Justine Ruszczyk was shot dead by police while Somali immigrant police officer is currently on paid leave.

Where was the outrage over this? Why wasn't the city set ablaze and business vandalized and looted?

Guarantee if Justine was a Somali immigrant and the officer was a white male that would have occurred.

For many, it's not the subject of protest that upsets people but the cherry picking and inconsistency in their outrage.

CK talks of oppression while wearing a Fidel Castro t-shirt.

There is very real and violent oppression occurring to this very day outside our country.

Out of sight out of mind though.

95 is on fire. I wonder if CK is aware of race relations in Cuba?

I said it in the other thread -- there are clear structural reforms needed with police regardless of whether the police are racist or not. For example, police should be required to wear body cameras, police use of force should not be investigated by the police, drug legalization, etc. each one of these issues is good reform regardless of whether racism is an issue.

The problem is that people like CK make reform about race which makes it a divisive issue. If it is about race, then cops are racist. Maybe by association, friends and families of cops are racist. While, now you have an enemy. And now, implicitly you tell those who are against BLM that they must be racist since they don't think black lives matter, when instead they simply don't think police at why and large racist.

Instead, the tactical thing to do is make an argument that institutional design is poor with regards to LEOs. One, this argument isn't as polarizing. Two, there is no need to adjudicate the question of racism (which contra many people's beliefs appears based on some studies to be an open question). Who cares why you get reform; all that matters is that reform happens. People like CK make that less likely to happen either out of ignorance, anger, or attention seeking. It also turns potential allies into enemies and ruins a potential common bound (e.g. Will & Grace did more to end homophobia than any protest; sports band of brother ethos likely does more to end racism than any protest).

In the end, if you are on CK's side, ponder whether that position is making the world a better place or making you feel better about yourself. Be a pragmatist.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:01 pm 

When BLM yells "What do we want? DEAD COPS!", is that ok?

Clearly the Klan is a sick hate group with a history of violence against certain groups, but let's not pretend BLM is a group of church ladies.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:01 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
KC wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
You just compared BLM to the KKK. Astonishing.

It's pretty fucking amazing, but it happens everyday.

Sorry, but it's reality. Do you realize that BLM is trying to recruit black college professors at an alarming rate? Got a black college professor friend who told me of the nasty rhetoric that BLM approached him with trying to get him on their side in a college campus leadership role with the black students. It was no different from what the KKK would say. He was appalled to say the least! If you think BLM is a quality, anti-racial organization, I don't know what to say other than watch some videos from real black men. Look things up on youtube for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q4IEEbIo3c The young black man talks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GABTynOBi-E 56 y.o. black man talks of the Hipocracy of BLM.

BLM can be racist without being the KKK. BLM has to catch up to a pretty hefty body count and general imposition of terror to be on the same level of the KKK.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:03 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:

Clearly the Klan is a sick hate group with a history of violence against certain groups, but let's not pretend BLM is a group of church ladies.

True. But that's like saying FDR and Hitler were the same because they both interned people based on race. True; it was wrong in both cases. But degree matters.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:28 pm 

Quote:
police should be required to wear body cameras,

They were required to do so in Minneapolis after there was outrage over a prior shooting incident.

The officer who gunned down the unarmed woman in her PJs or jogging suit didn't have his on. He's on paid leave. Very little information has been made public.

Wanna bet he isn't prosecuted?

Wanna bet no local business are set on fire or looted?

Wanna bet nobody takes a knee for her prior to the national anthem or comes out the tunnel doing "hands up don't shoot" on her behalf?

Isn't police misuse of force a huge issue with the kneelers and protestors? One would think every questionable action done by a police officer would be used to support and advance their movement.

Not this one though.

Last edited by 955876 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:29 pm 

Poltergeist:

Absolutely, it's an anit-white sentiment group. You're using your knowledge of the history of the KKK to distort how BLM parallels the anti-sentiment of the KKK. BLM is new, without a history of violence towards the other group. If blacks made up the majority of America and BLM had the history that the KKK does, would that paint a better picture for you - because it would be no different. Tell me and disprove me - what has BLM done for black communities in this country to fight black on black crime? Again, read my comments just above your post about my college professor friend. I can go into some details about what representatives from BLM said to him to try and persuade him to become a vocal leader for the black students on campus. Would that appease you?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:14 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
Poltergeist:

Absolutely, it's an anit-white sentiment group. You're using your knowledge of the history of the KKK to distort how BLM parallels the anti-sentiment of the KKK. BLM is new, without a history of violence towards the other group. If blacks made up the majority of America and BLM had the history that the KKK does, would that paint a better picture for you - because it would be no different. Tell me and disprove me - what has BLM done for black communities in this country to fight black on black crime? Again, read my comments just above your post about my college professor friend. I can go into some details about what representatives from BLM said to him to try and persuade him to become a vocal leader for the black students on campus. Would that appease you?

"Absolutely, it's an anit-white sentiment group."
It seems like an amorphous movement with some racists but unclearly mostly racist.

"BLM is new, without a history of violence towards the other group."
This hurts and does not help your position.

"If blacks made up the majority of America and BLM had the history that the KKK does, would that paint a better picture for you - because it would be no different."
BS counterfactual.

"Tell me and disprove me - what has BLM done for black communities in this country to fight black on black crime?"
Is this the aim of BLM or are using an aim BLM does not pursue to call it out for failing to pursue? Which would be dumb.

But yeah, I have read some things from reps of self described BLM chapters that are mind numbingly stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:28 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:
police should be required to wear body cameras,

They were required to do so in Minneapolis after there was outrage over a prior shooting incident.

The officer who gunned down the unarmed woman in her PJs or jogging suit didn't have his on. He's on paid leave. Very little information has been made public.

Wanna bet he isn't prosecuted?

Wanna bet no local business are set on fire or looted?

Wanna bet nobody takes a knee for her prior to the national anthem or comes out the tunnel doing "hands up don't shoot" on her behalf?

Isn't police misuse of force a huge issue with the kneelers and protestors? One would think every questionable action done by a police officer would be used to support and advance their movement.

Not this one though.

1. Protests occurred after non indictments. Some protests were justified, some weren't. Riots were all criminal and should've been treated as such. Nevertheless, it isn't fair to compare a mid-stream case to a concluded one.

2. Make it a misdemeanor with 6 months jail time not to have the camera operating while making a kill.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:31 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:

No. If it was actually BLM members who chanted it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:33 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:

No. If it was actually BLM members who chanted it.

Yeah, no true Scotsman.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next