It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:07 pm 

Sports have always been political, from the ancient Greeks and Romans through to today. Getting mad that entertainment isn't somehow cordoned off from the rest of society (which is also political %100 of the time) or that it should be for some reason (especially in times like these) is totally puerile and naive.

If any of these owners meant a single word they've said about Trumps speech, one of them would give Kap a job immediately. These pieces have shit have been rubbing elbows with Trump for decades, both in business and in politics. I'll believe it when I see it.

Black Lives Matter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:18 pm 

IncognitoCoup wrote:
Sports have always been political, from the ancient Greeks and Romans through to today. Getting mad that entertainment isn't somehow cordoned off from the rest of society (which is also political %100 of the time) or that it should be for some reason (especially in times like these) is totally puerile and naive.

If any of these owners meant a single word they've said about Trumps speech, one of them would give Kap a job immediately. These pieces have shit have been rubbing elbows with Trump for decades, both in business and in politics. I'll believe it when I see it.

Black Lives Matter.

I'm not with you on your politics, Coup...but the bolded statement is the absolute truth. It's a business decision. These owners can't afford to piss off the majority of their workforce...but they also can't afford to bring into their franchise the guy that gave rise to this movement.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:46 pm 

The thread is locked, so I'm going to say it here. I just read the "The Anthem/Patriotism/The Flag.." thread, and I don't know why it was locked. Fine, it wasn't about football, but that was a great discussion with no one being anything but respectful to each other. There are some very thoughtful posts in there, kudos to those who contributed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:49 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
The thread is locked, so I'm going to say it here. I just read the "The Anthem/Patriotism/The Flag.." thread, and I don't know why it was locked. Fine, it wasn't about football, but that was a great discussion with no one being anything but respectful to each other. There are some very thoughtful posts in there, kudos to those who contributed.

Locking posts is bullshit. Don't post; don't read if you don't like it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:00 am 

Quote:
Protests occurred after non indictments. Some protests were justified, some weren't. Riots were all criminal and should've been treated as such. Nevertheless, it isn't fair to compare a mid-stream case to a concluded one.

Riots in Ferguson started the day after the shooting.

Time will tell with this case.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:48 am 

Yet Pittsburgh's best pro franchise, run by a Democrat, took the classy high road and avoided all the rakes than Tomlin ran into.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:52 am 

Kodiak wrote:
I think all of these people burning their Steeler gear.....will be out shopping for new Steeler gear within a matter of weeks.

That is, unless the Steelers continue to be a dumpster fire, then I might even buy a jersey just so I can burn it.

Like the cavs fans did with James

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:10 am 

Still Lit wrote:
alancac98 wrote:
Poltergeist:

Absolutely, it's an anit-white sentiment group. You're using your knowledge of the history of the KKK to distort how BLM parallels the anti-sentiment of the KKK. BLM is new, without a history of violence towards the other group. If blacks made up the majority of America and BLM had the history that the KKK does, would that paint a better picture for you - because it would be no different. Tell me and disprove me - what has BLM done for black communities in this country to fight black on black crime? Again, read my comments just above your post about my college professor friend. I can go into some details about what representatives from BLM said to him to try and persuade him to become a vocal leader for the black students on campus. Would that appease you?

"Absolutely, it's an anit-white sentiment group."
It seems like an amorphous movement with some racists but unclearly mostly racist.

"BLM is new, without a history of violence towards the other group."
This hurts and does not help your position.

"If blacks made up the majority of America and BLM had the history that the KKK does, would that paint a better picture for you - because it would be no different."
BS counterfactual.

"Tell me and disprove me - what has BLM done for black communities in this country to fight black on black crime?"
Is this the aim of BLM or are using an aim BLM does not pursue to call it out for failing to pursue? Which would be dumb.

But yeah, I have read some things from reps of self described BLM chapters that are mind numbingly stupid.

No, the aim of BLM is incite anger and bring all matters of white vs. black to national attention, yet the black on black crime is hugely larger than white on black crime, yet is ignored by the group. If Black Lives Matters so much, why would the organization ignore the roots of it's people. Why not build at the foundation of black society. BLM loses credibility when they see only the white vs black side of the struggle the black people face today, when in fact, their struggle with each other is much more of an issue. If any culture has a severe problem, your approach has to not only target the group most involved, but you also have to target and educate the younger generation in order to exact change. Cultural change happens very slowly and takes several generations, but it doesn't seem BLM is looking to change the black culture much - that is the dumb part.

The KKK is made up of severe racist bigots I agree. They had virtually disappeared from prominence for the last 30 years. Maybe it's just because I live in central PA and don't follow the group that I make that comment. Maybe they still do the things in the South that I am unaware of, but.... I fear that all of this shit going down is only going to strengthen their group and their resolve. Their are a lot of impressionable young men out their, black, white , and hispanic, Continuing to stir the pot at a national level is only going to lead to bigger, worse problems as groups get bigger and more aggressive, as all of the wack jobs will migrate toward a group. I hope I'm wrong, but I foresee many bad clashes coming. Charlottesville may pail in comparisson!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:20 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
IncognitoCoup wrote:

Black Lives Matter.

I'm not with you on your politics, Coup...but the bolded statement is the absolute truth. It's a business decision. These owners can't afford to piss off the majority of their workforce...but they also can't afford to bring into their franchise the guy that gave rise to this movement.

They can't afford to piss of a huge percentage of their fan base who don't agree with this form of protest. It's a business decision. How the fuck can you blame the owners? If you owned a restaurant and you knew for a fact that 38% of your regular customers would not eat the new chef's food you were considering hiring, and hundreds more would protest his hire outside of your place of business every weekend, would you hire him?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:27 am 

IncognitoCoup wrote:

Black Lives Matter.

Always have been political? That's a reach. Maybe in ancient times, but they were also VERY entwined with religion then too, would you be cool if that were still true? Why are the owners pieces of shit? because they have a lot of money?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:43 am 

R S wrote:
Let us sports degenerates watch in peace. Goodell, Kaepernick, Bennett, Kraft, Trump.....everyone! Can't we sit down on our fat asses, in peace, with a cocktail and enjoy our Sundy's!

https://soundcloud.com/maddogsportsradi ... p-protests

Epic rant.

I'm with you, I'm going to watch my Steelers games, nothing they did bothers me. FREE SPEECH. I always try to avoid the anthem if I can-I went to get a beer instead of going to my seat last week. I may even try to go to another game since many of you are giving your tickets away. And if you have any nice size XXL jerseys, don't burn them PM me.

And you know what?

I DON'T hate America
I DON'T hate the Flag
I DON'T hate the Anthem
I DON'T disrespect your grandfather who died in WW2 or your son who's stationed at Fort Bragg
I DON'T even like BLM! LOL :lol:

NONE OF THAT!
NONE OF THAT!
NONE OF THAT!
NONE OF THAT!
NONE OF THAT!

Has a damn thing to do with football games and it shouldn't be mixed, we shouldn't have color guards and anthems and flags and soldiers "honored" at every damn game! How about honoring a teacher or a paramedic this week, and do a soldier next week? Not soldier, soldier, soldier, soldier, soldier forever and ever!

Us who will continue to watch games are AS GOOD AS YOU, LOVE AMERICA AS MUCH AS YOU... but unlike you, are smart enough to realize there is NO CONNECTION between watching the NFL and "honoring America" watching NFL is equivalent to watching an episode of 2 in half men, or Dancing with the stars, it's JUST A DAMN TV SHOW... get over yourselves.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:45 am 

KC wrote:
R S wrote:
So I guess the end game is to make it so obnoxious, you drive off half the people that pay the bills in the sport that makes you a multimillionaire. does anyone win? (this is not political, this is about something unrelated to sports overshadowing the games)

I watch hockey thank god. Haven't watched even a minute of a NBA game in a decade or more.

I personally don't like the protests, but I 100% respect their right to protest.

Being forced to stand for a flag means we're North Korea.

I really don't want to be North Korea.

I believe the people swearing off watching the NFL don't really understand what these protests are about.

More room for others at the games, I guess!

Good Post!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:58 am 

IncognitoCoup wrote:

Black Lives Matter.

Why don't they play the national anthem and "Honor America" before the start of every...

Movie
Concert
Dance Recital
Broadway Play
Poetry Reading
County Fairs
Comedy Shows
Circus

???????????????????????????????????

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:03 am 

Frankly, it's the US government that interjected politics into the NFL when they started sending US Taxpayer money to the league to get them to participate in the national anthem. If that never happened then none of this "disrespect" would have ever happened.

Funny enough, I don't remember anybody bitching and moaning a mere 8 years ago when teams didn't come out for the anthem.

Anyway, I'm tired of hearing about this. People can do whatever they want in my eyes as long as they aren't breaking the laws and being a nuisance to the rest of society. Them kneeling or not coming out on the field has absolutely 0 impact on my life or anybody else's life for that matter. People need to get off their soap boxes.

I come from a military family. My father served 20 years in the military. You think he gives a shit? Nope. I received a call from him yesterday and I thought the first thing he'd mention was the protest. Nope, he called me to tell me how piss poor the team played. Not even a mention of the protest. It's funny to me that the majority of people I know who feel the most passionate about the disrespect never served 1 minute in the military.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:09 am 

Nick79 wrote:
R S wrote:
Let us sports degenerates watch in peace. Goodell, Kaepernick, Bennett, Kraft, Trump.....everyone! Can't we sit down on our fat asses, in peace, with a cocktail and enjoy our Sundy's!

https://soundcloud.com/maddogsportsradi ... p-protests

Epic rant.

I'm with you, I'm going to watch my Steelers games, nothing they did bothers me. FREE SPEECH. I always try to avoid the anthem if I can-I went to get a beer instead of going to my seat last week. I may even try to go to another game since many of you are giving your tickets away. And if you have any nice size XXL jerseys, don't burn them PM me.

And you know what?

I DON'T hate America
I DON'T hate the Flag
I DON'T hate the Anthem
I DON'T disrespect your grandfather who died in WW2 or your son who's stationed at Fort Bragg
I DON'T even like BLM! LOL :lol:

NONE OF THAT!
NONE OF THAT!
NONE OF THAT!
NONE OF THAT!
NONE OF THAT!

Has a damn thing to do with football games and it shouldn't be mixed, we shouldn't have color guards and anthems and flags and soldiers "honored" at every damn game! How about honoring a teacher or a paramedic this week, and do a soldier next week? Not soldier, soldier, soldier, soldier, soldier forever and ever!

Us who will continue to watch games are AS GOOD AS YOU, LOVE AMERICA AS MUCH AS YOU... but unlike you, are smart enough to realize there is NO CONNECTION between watching the NFL and "honoring America" watching NFL is equivalent to watching an episode of 2 in half men, or Dancing with the stars, it's JUST A DAMN TV SHOW... get over yourselves.

I agree with you but you're not totally getting the point of Doggie. Move one, get over it. We don't want Bob Costas's political commentary at halftime or the Presidents tweets. WE JUST WANT SIT OUR ASSES DOWN AND ENJOY A FOOTBALL GAME for 3 1/2 hours on a SUNDY! Then we can go back to our daily lives of work and bitching about politics.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:27 am 

It's all such a stupid waste of time....a bunch of sound and fury signifying nothing. I just wish they actually could articulate what they were kneeling for. No one really can explain it with any cohesion, and they certainly can't articulate what any of this has to do with the anthem or flag. It's all such nebulous BS meant to score social media points and flame the hysteria.

The kneeling is so dumb to begin with. Kneeling is an act of complete subjugation. So, they are subjugating themselves to "America"?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:43 am 

R S wrote:

They can't afford to piss of a huge percentage of their fan base who don't agree with this form of protest. It's a business decision. How the fuck can you blame the owners? If you owned a restaurant and you knew for a fact that 38% of your regular customers would not eat the new chef's food you were considering hiring, and hundreds more would protest his hire outside of your place of business every weekend, would you hire him?

I'll be interested to see if the fans that are quitting are going to follow through and stay away? Or will they get over it next week and come back?

I was born and raised in the USA, my family is Greek. Muricans today complain about the Mexicans waving Mexican flags living in the USA and celebrating Cinco De Mayo instead of Murican holidays. I grew up just like them! Waving Greek Flags and celebrating Greek Independence Day (celebrated 4th of July too). But inside my house, it might as well have been GREECE and not the USA-Greeks are very poor assimilators, they try NOT TO assimilate to the USA in fact-there's good and bad to that IMO, I know way more about my origins than typical Americans, that's good IMO, but less about traditional USA stuff, so a lot of the times, I can't relate to stuff typical Muricans think and do? Sorry, maybe that's why I don't fly off the handle with irrational anger over these protests. Whatever, that's how I feel. I'm not burning any jersey and I'm watching all the games.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:48 am 

StillerInCT wrote:
Frankly, it's the US government that interjected politics into the NFL when they started sending US Taxpayer money to the league to get them to participate in the national anthem. If that never happened then none of this "disrespect" would have ever happened.

Funny enough, I don't remember anybody bitching and moaning a mere 8 years ago when teams didn't come out for the anthem.

^^^^THIS

Honestly, I never knew any of this until this week.

Myself, AND I'M NOT AGAINST THE TROOPS, but I have been getting increasingly annoyed at the military overkill at every game. But I honestly didn't know that the defense department PAID MONEY TO HONOR THEMSELVES. LOL!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:01 am 

StainlessSteel wrote:
Obviously wrote:
The flag and anthem they are protesting represents their very right to protest. It doesn't represent injustice, racism, bad cops, etc. Somehow Kaepernick and those who followed him believe our country is racist. It's not. Of course there is all that in this country and it is reprehensible, but the flag and country do not represent it.

I'm guessing this gentleman doesn't agree with you:

Good guess, and that hooded fucker is as un-American as you can get.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:08 am 

Nick79 wrote:
IncognitoCoup wrote:

Black Lives Matter.

Why don't they play the national anthem and "Honor America" before the start of every...

Movie
Concert
Dance Recital
Broadway Play
Poetry Reading
County Fairs
Comedy Shows
Circus

100% SPOT ON.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:10 am 

franco32 wrote:
It's all such a stupid waste of time....a bunch of sound and fury signifying nothing. I just wish they actually could articulate what they were kneeling for. No one really can explain it with any cohesion, and they certainly can't articulate what any of this has to do with the anthem or flag. It's all such nebulous BS meant to score social media points and flame the hysteria.

The kneeling is so dumb to begin with. Kneeling is an act of complete subjugation. So, they are subjugating themselves to "America"?

The flag represents the country.

People of color don't believe they are full partners in this country.

They believe they're being targeted unfairly by law enforcement because of the color of their skin.

The kneeling is bringing a shitload of attention to their cause.

Whether you or I like it or not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:27 am 

KC wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
IncognitoCoup wrote:

Black Lives Matter.

Movie
Concert
Dance Recital
Broadway Play
Poetry Reading
County Fairs
Comedy Shows
Circus

100% SPOT ON.

How else do you know when to go to your seats?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:30 am 

As a "feriner" watching this safely in my confines above the 49th parallel, wow are you guys ever up tight. Making someone stand for a flag, an anthem is the height of authoritarianism. The countries you guys hate so much, Iran, North Korea etc do that shit.

As I sit in socialist Canada, we are way more chill, and it appears free

There was a Canadian politician who used to call the USA, The EXCITED States of America. Was that ever bang on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:45 am 

[/quote]

The flag represents the country.

People of color don't believe they are full partners in this country.

They believe they're being targeted unfairly by law enforcement because of the color of their skin.

The kneeling is bringing a shitload of attention to their cause.

Whether you or I like it or not.[/quote]

What does "full partners" even mean? What is the "country"? Is it NYC, Oklahoma, LA, Des Moines? Is it the Federal govt, local law enforcement, is it what lies deep in the heart of an individual police officer? It's still all so nebulous. Why not spend time and energy identifying where the real problems lie and then trying to do something about it. I guess that is too hard. This is sensationalism and intellectual laziness at its finest.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:49 am 

Stinger8 wrote:
As a "feriner" watching this safely in my confines above the 49th parallel, wow are you guys ever up tight. Making someone stand for a flag, an anthem is the height of authoritarianism. The countries you guys hate so much, Iran, North Korea etc do that shit.

As I sit in socialist Canada, we are way more chill, and it appears free

There was a Canadian politician who used to call the USA, The EXCITED States of America. Was that ever bang on.

We are not N. Korea or Iran. No one is standing with a gun over their head making them stand. No law has been enacted to make people stand for the anthem. People are simply criticizing each other. The President is free to criticize the players and the players are free to do what they want. This is not authoritarianism. It is the height of a free society. It is this type of hyperbole that keeps leading to all the hysteria we see online and in social media.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next