It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:33 pm
Posts: 370
Sports have always been political, from the ancient Greeks and Romans through to today. Getting mad that entertainment isn't somehow cordoned off from the rest of society (which is also political %100 of the time) or that it should be for some reason (especially in times like these) is totally puerile and naive.

If any of these owners meant a single word they've said about Trumps speech, one of them would give Kap a job immediately. These pieces have shit have been rubbing elbows with Trump for decades, both in business and in politics. I'll believe it when I see it.

Black Lives Matter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 5569
IncognitoCoup wrote:
Sports have always been political, from the ancient Greeks and Romans through to today. Getting mad that entertainment isn't somehow cordoned off from the rest of society (which is also political %100 of the time) or that it should be for some reason (especially in times like these) is totally puerile and naive.

If any of these owners meant a single word they've said about Trumps speech, one of them would give Kap a job immediately. These pieces have shit have been rubbing elbows with Trump for decades, both in business and in politics. I'll believe it when I see it.

Black Lives Matter.


I'm not with you on your politics, Coup...but the bolded statement is the absolute truth. It's a business decision. These owners can't afford to piss off the majority of their workforce...but they also can't afford to bring into their franchise the guy that gave rise to this movement.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 5083
The thread is locked, so I'm going to say it here. I just read the "The Anthem/Patriotism/The Flag.." thread, and I don't know why it was locked. Fine, it wasn't about football, but that was a great discussion with no one being anything but respectful to each other. There are some very thoughtful posts in there, kudos to those who contributed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 5569
Poltargyst wrote:
The thread is locked, so I'm going to say it here. I just read the "The Anthem/Patriotism/The Flag.." thread, and I don't know why it was locked. Fine, it wasn't about football, but that was a great discussion with no one being anything but respectful to each other. There are some very thoughtful posts in there, kudos to those who contributed.


Locking posts is bullshit. Don't post; don't read if you don't like it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 3260
Quote:
Protests occurred after non indictments. Some protests were justified, some weren't. Riots were all criminal and should've been treated as such. Nevertheless, it isn't fair to compare a mid-stream case to a concluded one.


Riots in Ferguson started the day after the shooting.

Time will tell with this case.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 3497
Yet Pittsburgh's best pro franchise, run by a Democrat, took the classy high road and avoided all the rakes than Tomlin ran into.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 pm
Posts: 3177
Kodiak wrote:
I think all of these people burning their Steeler gear.....will be out shopping for new Steeler gear within a matter of weeks.

That is, unless the Steelers continue to be a dumpster fire, then I might even buy a jersey just so I can burn it.

Like the cavs fans did with James


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:31 pm
Posts: 765
Still Lit wrote:
alancac98 wrote:
Poltergeist:

Absolutely, it's an anit-white sentiment group. You're using your knowledge of the history of the KKK to distort how BLM parallels the anti-sentiment of the KKK. BLM is new, without a history of violence towards the other group. If blacks made up the majority of America and BLM had the history that the KKK does, would that paint a better picture for you - because it would be no different. Tell me and disprove me - what has BLM done for black communities in this country to fight black on black crime? Again, read my comments just above your post about my college professor friend. I can go into some details about what representatives from BLM said to him to try and persuade him to become a vocal leader for the black students on campus. Would that appease you?


"Absolutely, it's an anit-white sentiment group."
It seems like an amorphous movement with some racists but unclearly mostly racist.

"BLM is new, without a history of violence towards the other group."
This hurts and does not help your position.

"If blacks made up the majority of America and BLM had the history that the KKK does, would that paint a better picture for you - because it would be no different."
BS counterfactual.

"Tell me and disprove me - what has BLM done for black communities in this country to fight black on black crime?"
Is this the aim of BLM or are using an aim BLM does not pursue to call it out for failing to pursue? Which would be dumb.

But yeah, I have read some things from reps of self described BLM chapters that are mind numbingly stupid.



No, the aim of BLM is incite anger and bring all matters of white vs. black to national attention, yet the black on black crime is hugely larger than white on black crime, yet is ignored by the group. If Black Lives Matters so much, why would the organization ignore the roots of it's people. Why not build at the foundation of black society. BLM loses credibility when they see only the white vs black side of the struggle the black people face today, when in fact, their struggle with each other is much more of an issue. If any culture has a severe problem, your approach has to not only target the group most involved, but you also have to target and educate the younger generation in order to exact change. Cultural change happens very slowly and takes several generations, but it doesn't seem BLM is looking to change the black culture much - that is the dumb part.

The KKK is made up of severe racist bigots I agree. They had virtually disappeared from prominence for the last 30 years. Maybe it's just because I live in central PA and don't follow the group that I make that comment. Maybe they still do the things in the South that I am unaware of, but.... I fear that all of this shit going down is only going to strengthen their group and their resolve. Their are a lot of impressionable young men out their, black, white , and hispanic, Continuing to stir the pot at a national level is only going to lead to bigger, worse problems as groups get bigger and more aggressive, as all of the wack jobs will migrate toward a group. I hope I'm wrong, but I foresee many bad clashes coming. Charlottesville may pail in comparisson!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 4760
swissvale72 wrote:
IncognitoCoup wrote:
Sports have always been political, from the ancient Greeks and Romans through to today. Getting mad that entertainment isn't somehow cordoned off from the rest of society (which is also political %100 of the time) or that it should be for some reason (especially in times like these) is totally puerile and naive.

If any of these owners meant a single word they've said about Trumps speech, one of them would give Kap a job immediately. These pieces have shit have been rubbing elbows with Trump for decades, both in business and in politics. I'll believe it when I see it.

Black Lives Matter.


I'm not with you on your politics, Coup...but the bolded statement is the absolute truth. It's a business decision. These owners can't afford to piss off the majority of their workforce...but they also can't afford to bring into their franchise the guy that gave rise to this movement.



They can't afford to piss of a huge percentage of their fan base who don't agree with this form of protest. It's a business decision. How the fuck can you blame the owners? If you owned a restaurant and you knew for a fact that 38% of your regular customers would not eat the new chef's food you were considering hiring, and hundreds more would protest his hire outside of your place of business every weekend, would you hire him?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 4760
IncognitoCoup wrote:
Sports have always been political, from the ancient Greeks and Romans through to today. Getting mad that entertainment isn't somehow cordoned off from the rest of society (which is also political %100 of the time) or that it should be for some reason (especially in times like these) is totally puerile and naive.

If any of these owners meant a single word they've said about Trumps speech, one of them would give Kap a job immediately. These pieces have shit have been rubbing elbows with Trump for decades, both in business and in politics. I'll believe it when I see it.

Black Lives Matter.


Always have been political? That's a reach. Maybe in ancient times, but they were also VERY entwined with religion then too, would you be cool if that were still true? Why are the owners pieces of shit? because they have a lot of money?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group