It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mothership is Afire
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:27 pm 

Speaking of ducks and dodges, I never did catch what you do for a living, Kodiak.

Do you mean to tell me that even with the anonymity of the internet you're such a giant pussy that you won't tell?

Say it ain't so.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:57 pm 

It's getting quite bitchy in here. reeks of pussy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:45 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Speaking of ducks and dodges, I never did catch what you do for a living, Kodiak.

Do you mean to tell me that even with the anonymity of the internet you're such a giant pussy that you won't tell?

Say it ain't so.

I work in PE....not a pussy, just not an ignorant academic hiding behind my books.

I've never hidden my education nor what I do for a living, but I don't wear it on my sleeve because appeals to authority are the purview of lazy intellectuals.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:03 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

Say it ain't so.

I work in PE....not a pussy, just not an ignorant academic hiding behind my books.

I've never hidden my education nor what I do for a living, but I don't wear it on my sleeve because appeals to authority are the purview of lazy intellectuals.

Uh, there was a thread a long time ago asking what Fury readers do for a living. I said I taught liberal arts. Now people routinely bring it up. The idea that I wear what I do on my sleeve as some sort of authority marker is absurd. I tell my students that I am not some kind of infallible authority nor some kind of fount indespensible truth. I'll tell you now the same thing. Hell yes I'm ignorant. Which is why...

I like reading great books in the Western canon. I like thinking and writing about great books in the Western canon. For some strange reason, circumstances exist that I actually get paid to do what I would be doing in my free time. Even stranger circumstances have made it such that I get paid to read and reflect on these questions unencumbered from the end of May until the end of August every year. Can you imagine if you had nearly four months off a year with pay to do precisely what you love? And if you did, would you be spending that time doing PE? Which also shows you what you think of the value of the activity of PE for your own personal happiness.

For some strange reason, you think it is a sign of inability that someone would choose to spend their lives reading and thinking about people like Newton, Shakespeare, or Hegel as opposed to...

PE? Fine. In some capacity you exercise a skill that contributes to investment for profit, possibly involving research and analysis of targets for investment. (Work in PE is rather vague, of course.). You spend your waking, working life organized around the accumulation of capital via investment strategy.

And you think this a more worthy endeavor for yorself than spending your time reading and thinking about great books?

I never had any intention of making fun of what you do. That's a petty thing that a petty person does.

But I will say this. If I had to choose between spending my time thinking about Plato or Nozick or which companies to target for buyout or investment, I'm going to reach for the books every time. And for this you want to belittle me? That's weird.

p.s. If your firm is retained by a university for enriching its endowments, possibly even mine, I thank you for being an instrument of my happiness.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:54 am 

I always thought PE was Phys. Ed....shows how much I know.

We do a couple things on this esteemed website:
-Talk Steeler football
-Gove each other shit

For all of the angst & bellyaching that goes on here about not wanting this place to turn into Stillers.com, it was Stillers.com that started this fine tradition of, for the most part, saying the fuck what we want, with the exception of when a particularly pacified colleague or two turn to the site's gendarmes, some of whom operate under cover (that would be YOU, B2B)....to admonish someone who called them a name ("sticks and stones"). It was on Stillers.com during the glorious off-season of 2006, with PEIS (Post-Euphoric Immersion Syndrome), that a number of What and Where Do You Asshats...threads were populated:
-What do you Asshats do for Work?
-What do you Asshats look like?
-Where do you Asshats live?
-How Old are you Asshats?
So...let's not be too quick to denigrate the old site, which is still up and running, not so popular, still headed by Mill, who once sent me a pic where I mistakenly took Hines Ward to be a member of his family.

Having said all that....good to see Lit is still unsurpassed with the level of Mumbo-Jumbo. Carry on, Professor.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:30 pm 

By the way Swiss, you should hit Hesske (sic) up about whether you should read Paul Fussel's Class: A Guide Through the American Status System so you can see where you fit.

Iirc Hesske teaches literature so he will likely smile upon reading the words 'Paul' and 'Fussell'.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:38 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
By the way Swiss, you should hit Hesske (sic) up about whether you should read Paul Fussel's Class: A Guide Through the American Status System so you can see where you fit.

Iirc Hesske teaches literature so he will likely smile upon reading the words 'Paul' and 'Fussell'.

I'm in touch with Hesske almost daily, Lit...more often on both college and pro game days. He's free of mumbo-jumbo, so must not be a pre-requisite to teach on a college level.

I'm sure he'll see your post and email me about it. Meanwhile, I'll check it out.

Gotta say, Lit, I've had one experience as an adjunct at the local community college....caused me tremendous stress.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

I'm in touch with Hesske almost daily, Lit...more often on both college and pro game days. He's free of mumbo-jumbo, so must not be a pre-requisite to teach on a college level.

I'm sure he'll see your post and email me about it. Meanwhile, I'll check it out.

Gotta say, Lit, I've had one experience as an adjunct at the local community college....caused me tremendous stress.

Lol.

Check out Richard Russo's Straight Man. Not only will you laugh your ass off reading it, but it will bring back fond memories of teaching at a community college.

Were you stressed by the teaching or the being abused with terrible pay?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:06 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

Lol.

Check out Richard Russo's Straight Man. Not only will you laugh your ass off reading it, but it will bring back fond memories of teaching at a community college.

Were you stressed by the teaching or the being abused with terrible pay?

Pay was okay...anything would've been okay. I think it was $1900 for the semester....two hour class on Tuesdays, one hour on Thursday. Course was Non-Profit Management. My problem was not knowing how to make my students responsible for anything. So typically, I'd be at work on Tuesday morning, saying to myself....."What the FUCK am I going to talk about for two hours???"

I was big on guest speakers....had about four of those for the two hour block over the course of the semester.

Very popular with my students, which I leaned on far more than I should have was, "Dave's Week," where I would just talk about what I had done all week. They told me that they liked, compared to their other instructors, that I was still working in the field that I was teaching.

Best part, one of my students came to work for me....stuck around for five years....he was an EXCELLENT staff member.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:10 am 

Swiss, if only you had had a reservoir of mumbo jumbo at your service, you would not have wanted for discussion material.

I am quite sure that you were great fun in the classroom.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next