It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7286
Still Lit wrote:
Don't see a rebuttal in that response, Swiss.

Pussy. Fan. Manifesto.

Pussy.


Hard to rebut the gobbledygook you manufacture, Professor.

I think you're due for a nice, long sabbatical. You tenured? Able to do that?

I think Sunday's game may have brought on a psychotic break, affecting academicians in a unique way....up all night reading Socrates, Plato, Voltaire, et al.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 pm
Posts: 1749
Pussy Man Manifesto is a good band name

_________________
Get well soon, Matt Murray


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9620
Y-Town Steel wrote:
Pussy Man Manifesto is a good band name


No doubt you'd be a huge fan of a band with that name.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9620
swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Don't see a rebuttal in that response, Swiss.

Pussy. Fan. Manifesto.

Pussy.


Hard to rebut the gobbledygook you manufacture, Professor.

I think you're due for a nice, long sabbatical. You tenured? Able to do that?

I think Sunday's game may have brought on a psychotic break, affecting academicians in a unique way....up all night reading Socrates, Plato, Voltaire, et al.


This dumb response contains no more refutation than does the last.

You root for injuries to reduce risk of loss. Prefer it because it improves chances of success.

And you wonder why I'm calling that soft?

You must be soft and daft.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7286
Still Lit wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Don't see a rebuttal in that response, Swiss.

Pussy. Fan. Manifesto.

Pussy.


Hard to rebut the gobbledygook you manufacture, Professor.

I think you're due for a nice, long sabbatical. You tenured? Able to do that?

I think Sunday's game may have brought on a psychotic break, affecting academicians in a unique way....up all night reading Socrates, Plato, Voltaire, et al.


This dumb response contains no more refutation than does the last.

You root for injuries to reduce risk of loss. Prefer it because it improves chances of success.

And you wonder why I'm calling that soft?

You must be soft and daft.


Here's the refutation, Professor.

I want my team to win. That injuries to one's opponent, increases those chances, that's what I'm rooting for. My team certainly had injuries to overcome going into Sunday's game, then incurred more during the game. It's part of the game.

Your pontificating around positives of this, negatives of this, pleasure quotients, etc. is all bullshit, mumbo-jumbo, nonsensical.

Back to the beginning....my sense is that I'm simply more honest than you about it. You wouldn't object to Brady, Gronk, et al going down either. You would take...pleasure ...in it, though telling yourself you shouldn't feel that way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9620
swissvale72 wrote:
Here's the refutation, Professor.

I want my team to win. That injuries to one's opponent, increases those chances, that's what I'm rooting for. My team certainly had injuries to overcome going into Sunday's game, then incurred more during the game. It's part of the game.

Your pontificating around positives of this, negatives of this, pleasure quotients, etc. is all bullshit, mumbo-jumbo, nonsensical.

Back to the beginning....my sense is that I'm simply more honest than you about it. You wouldn't object to Brady, Gronk, et al going down either. You would take...pleasure ...in it, though telling yourself you shouldn't feel that way.


That's not a refutation of my position about what your rooting for injuries amounts to.
That's an explanation of your motivation for your position.
Never said I would not take pleasure in it, so that is irrelevant.
Nor is it hypocritical because my position is that I do not *root* for injuries, not that I do not feel this or that pleasure. You do root for injuries. And it is a pussy manifesto (more on this below).
That injuries happen is irrelevant. Your manifesto is not that injuries happen, but that one should root for them as SBI. My response has been that this is not necessarily Steelers Fans Best Interest.
You say it's all subjective.
I say, arguments can be better or worse and you have yet to refute anything I have proposed (calling something mumbo-jumbo is not a refutation).
I am being honest.

Let's review the arguments (an argument is a series of propositions of which one is a conclusion and the others are premises that secure the conclusion). All of the arguments assume we both want the team to win, so stop bringing up the most obvious shit in the world, Swiss, as if you're making any kind of point.

Argument 1 (Quality of wins)

P1: Wins against better quality opponents are objectively better wins.
P2: The better the opposing players (and coaches), the better quality of the opponent.
P3: Therefore, wins against better opposing players (and coaches) are better wins.
Conclusion: Rooting for injuries is rooting for wins of inferior quality.

(Not subjective at all: wins against better players are wins of higher quality: can't wait to see you argue otherwise. I expect you merely to reply that you do not care about quality. Point is, your injury manifesto roots for wins of lower quality. Your not caring is not a refutation.)

Argument 2 (Quality of pleasure)

P1: It is a more and better pleasure to accomplish something difficult than something easy. (P1 is the controversial premise).
P2: Beating a team of higher quality players is more difficult than beating a team of lower quality players.
P3: Therefore, the pleasure of the Steelers beating a team of higher quality players is of higher quality than the pleasure that comes from the Steelers beating a team with lower quality players.
Conclusion: Rooting for injuries is rooting for pleasure of lower quality.

(Regarding P1: I maintain that what is more difficult to accomplish is a pleasure of higher quality. Aiming for pleasures that involve more difficulty and are harder to obtain [e.g., Steelers beating Pats when Pats are at full strength] carry the risk of greater disappointment. So observe that my position of not rooting for injuries because I desire higher quality pleasure and higher quality wins also runs the risk of enduring greater disappointment for the fan. More on this below in argument 3.)

Argument 3 (As a fan, with respect to rooting for injuries, you're a pussy.)

P1: You root for injuries because it decreases risk.
P2: Pussies are risk averse. The pussy seeks to avoid risk as much as possible to guarantee success.
P3: Therefore, you advocate the easiest path to victory as opposed to the highest quality path.
Conclusion: your injury position is a pussy manifesto. You want the competition as weak as possible to ensure success as much as possible.

(You will say you are a prudent fan, not a pussy fan. But of course cowards think the courageous are rash and imprudent. Not calling you a coward. It's an analogy. My honest position is that I do not root for injuries because I favor higher quality of wins and higher quality pleasure. Also, I embrace the increased risk of losing [because I am not a pussy fan, but you will claim I am a stupid fan thus], and therefore enduring pain from the Steelers losing, by wishing for the Steelers to play teams at their best.)

Now, shall you pronounce mumbo-jumbo or actually engage and assess the premises? I ask you, for the moment, to set aside the IP address from whom the arguments issue and instead to concentrate your acumen on the actual content. Indeed, point out why the conclusions are not true given the premises provided.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 pm
Posts: 1749
Still Lit wrote:
Y-Town Steel wrote:
Pussy Man Manifesto is a good band name


No doubt you'd be a huge fan of a band with that name.

Thanks! Err... Fuck You! I'm actually not sure how to take that.

Regardless, I'd be intrigued by a band with that name.

_________________
Get well soon, Matt Murray


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7286
Still Lit wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Here's the refutation, Professor.

I want my team to win. That injuries to one's opponent, increases those chances, that's what I'm rooting for. My team certainly had injuries to overcome going into Sunday's game, then incurred more during the game. It's part of the game.

Your pontificating around positives of this, negatives of this, pleasure quotients, etc. is all bullshit, mumbo-jumbo, nonsensical.

Back to the beginning....my sense is that I'm simply more honest than you about it. You wouldn't object to Brady, Gronk, et al going down either. You would take...pleasure ...in it, though telling yourself you shouldn't feel that way.


That's not a refutation of my position about what your rooting for injuries amounts to.
That's an explanation of your motivation for your position.
Never said I would not take pleasure in it, so that is irrelevant.
Nor is it hypocritical because my position is that I do not *root* for injuries, not that I do not feel this or that pleasure. You do root for injuries. And it is a pussy manifesto (more on this below).
That injuries happen is irrelevant. Your manifesto is not that injuries happen, but that one should root for them as SBI. My response has been that this is not necessarily Steelers Fans Best Interest.
You say it's all subjective.
I say, arguments can be better or worse and you have yet to refute anything I have proposed (calling something mumbo-jumbo is not a refutation).
I am being honest.

Let's review the arguments (an argument is a series of propositions of which one is a conclusion and the others are premises that secure the conclusion). All of the arguments assume we both want the team to win, so stop bringing up the most obvious shit in the world, Swiss, as if you're making any kind of point.

Argument 1 (Quality of wins)

P1: Wins against better quality opponents are objectively better wins.
P2: The better the opposing players (and coaches), the better quality of the opponent.
P3: Therefore, wins against better opposing players (and coaches) are better wins.
Conclusion: Rooting for injuries is rooting for wins of inferior quality.

(Not subjective at all: wins against better players are wins of higher quality: can't wait to see you argue otherwise. I expect you merely to reply that you do not care about quality. Point is, your injury manifesto roots for wins of lower quality. Your not caring is not a refutation.)

Argument 2 (Quality of pleasure)

P1: It is a more and better pleasure to accomplish something difficult than something easy. (P1 is the controversial premise).
P2: Beating a team of higher quality players is more difficult than beating a team of lower quality players.
P3: Therefore, the pleasure of the Steelers beating a team of higher quality players is of higher quality than the pleasure that comes from the Steelers beating a team with lower quality players.
Conclusion: Rooting for injuries is rooting for pleasure of lower quality.

(Regarding P1: I maintain that what is more difficult to accomplish is a pleasure of higher quality. Aiming for pleasures that involve more difficulty and are harder to obtain [e.g., Steelers beating Pats when Pats are at full strength] carry the risk of greater disappointment. So observe that my position of not rooting for injuries because I desire higher quality pleasure and higher quality wins also runs the risk of enduring greater disappointment for the fan. More on this below in argument 3.)

Argument 3 (As a fan, with respect to rooting for injuries, you're a pussy.)

P1: You root for injuries because it decreases risk.
P2: Pussies are risk averse. The pussy seeks to avoid risk as much as possible to guarantee success.
P3: Therefore, you advocate the easiest path to victory as opposed to the highest quality path.
Conclusion: your injury position is a pussy manifesto. You want the competition as weak as possible to ensure success as much as possible.

(You will say you are a prudent fan, not a pussy fan. But of course cowards think the courageous are rash and imprudent. Not calling you a coward. It's an analogy. My honest position is that I do not root for injuries because I favor higher quality of wins and higher quality pleasure. Also, I embrace the increased risk of losing [because I am not a pussy fan, but you will claim I am a stupid fan thus], and therefore enduring pain from the Steelers losing, by wishing for the Steelers to play teams at their best.)

Now, shall you pronounce mumbo-jumbo or actually engage and assess the premises? I ask you, for the moment, to set aside the IP address from whom the arguments issue and instead to concentrate your acumen on the actual content. Indeed, point out why the conclusions are not true given the premises provided.


Hey!! I've figured it out!! I suggested that Still Lit, the Professor, the Purveyor of Mumbo-Jumbo, should use his tenure, if he has any, go on a much-needed sabbatical....leave the hallowed halls of a academica, leave the rigors of the classroom where he's undoubtedly challenged intellectually by his fine students.

Guess what!! Lit is ON the Sabbatical. He's high on a mountaintop in Kathmandu, putting together his latest published work, Enabling an Academic Geek to Intelligently Debate with Internet Yinzers.

It's kind of funny to see the professor calling out people for being pussies. Hey Lit....re: this pleasure quotient that you've been expounding. Do you really believe that there's even one Patriots fan who found Sunday's win less pleasurable because Joe Haden and Ryan Shazier weren't in the lineup, and AB went out early 2Q. Do you think even one New England douchebag is saying, "Goddammit, I would have enjoyed this game so much more if Antonio Brown didn't tear his calf....wish I had gone to the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow reading in the Back Bay instead."

Lit....seriously, you're revealing yourself as more, and more, and more full of shit. Maybe you should travel to Montana, take some lessons from Hesske on how to be a college instructor while not compromising yourself as a Steeler fan. He could teach you a thing or two....starting with basic fuckin' logic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9620
Diidn't see a refutation in that response, Swiss.

Nor even an argument.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7286
Still Lit wrote:
Diidn't see a refutation in that response, Swiss.

Nor even an argument.


Here's the argument.

No one's buying your bullshit about quality wins, pleasure of wins, etc. Only people buying it would be your fellow pointy-headed academicians...who debate regularly on topics like relative happiness, opine about sadness, wax and wane oh so eloquently about the purpose of life.

Rooting for a win is rooting for a win...football, on some level, is a battle of attrition. If the other teams best players can be rendered non-factors via broken bones, torn ligaments, etc., and that helps my team win, I'm all for it.

This is freakin' priceless though...the Aristotle wannabe calling me a pussy. Hahahahahahah!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group