It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:06 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Diidn't see a refutation in that response, Swiss.

Nor even an argument.

Here's the argument.

No one's buying your bullshit about quality wins, pleasure of wins, etc. Only people buying it would be your fellow pointy-headed academicians...who debate regularly on topics like relative happiness, opine about sadness, wax and wane oh so eloquently about the purpose of life.

Rooting for a win is rooting for a win...football, on some level, is a battle of attrition. If the other teams best players can be rendered non-factors via broken bones, torn ligaments, etc., and that helps my team win, I'm all for it.

This is freakin' priceless though...the Aristotle wannabe calling me a pussy. Hahahahahahah!!!

So you get the same enjoyment from the Steelers beating Cleveland as you do from them beating New England?

The exact same enjoyment?

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:29 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

Nor even an argument.

Here's the argument.

No one's buying your bullshit about quality wins, pleasure of wins, etc. Only people buying it would be your fellow pointy-headed academicians...who debate regularly on topics like relative happiness, opine about sadness, wax and wane oh so eloquently about the purpose of life.

Rooting for a win is rooting for a win...football, on some level, is a battle of attrition. If the other teams best players can be rendered non-factors via broken bones, torn ligaments, etc., and that helps my team win, I'm all for it.

This is freakin' priceless though...the Aristotle wannabe calling me a pussy. Hahahahahahah!!!

So you get the same enjoyment from the Steelers beating Cleveland as you do from them beating New England?

The exact same enjoyment?

Assuming your question is for me, Jeems, the answer is NO, but I don't think that's the point.

If the question is whether I would have the same exact enjoyment if the Steelers win in New England in January and Gronk is sitting in a luxury suite with his leg in a cast, as I would if the Steelers beat the Patriots and Gronk played, the answer would be YES.

Plus, and maybe this the real crux of the issue. If some crackpot like Still Lit feels as though he needs to enjoy the game, derive some pleasure from it....well, good for him. I've often said, "We don't enjoy these games; we suffer through them, and hope we're happy in the end"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:34 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

Nor even an argument.

Here's the argument.

Swiss, saying no one is buying my bullshit is not a refutation. It's an assertion. Certainly not an argument.

Your comment about attrition is irrelevant to all three arguments I gave you. I know you're all for the other guys getting injured.

Show me why my premises are untrue or why the conclusions do not follow from them. I mean, I'm assuming you can't at this point or you would do it.

And to be fair, didn't say your whole person was a pussy. I said in respect of rooting for injuries you're a pussy insofar as you are a fan.

Again, feel free to refute the argument.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:39 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

Nor even an argument.

Here's the argument.

Swiss, saying no one is buying my bullshit is not a refutation. It's an assertion. Certainly not an argument.

Your comment about attrition is irrelevant to all three arguments I gave you. I know you're all for the other guys getting injured.

Show me why my premises are untrue or why the conclusions do not follow from them. I mean, I'm assuming you can't at this point or you would do it.

And to be fair, didn't say your whole person was a pussy. I said in respect of rooting for injuries you're a pussy insofar as you are a fan.

Again, feel free to refute the argument.

It's more that I think your premises, re: enjoyment, pleasure, Steeler Fans Best Interest....are irrelevant, or generously, pale in comparison to simply having our team win.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:45 pm 

Again, your thinking my concerns about your position on rooting for injuries are irrelevant does not mean that they are not true or unsound.

So, to be clear, you have not at all called into question anything I have said.

You have merely said that you do not care.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:57 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:06 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Again, your thinking my concerns about your position on rooting for injuries are irrelevant does not mean that they are not true or unsound.

I'm saying it depends upon the person....

*Someone like you, who places a premium on their enjoyment, their pleasure, and connects that to beating an opponent who is playing at full strength, in a game where any team is rarely at full strength...maybe you have a point, irrelevant as it might be. And I say this noting that you've commented at least once, that the way the Steelers were playing was "boring as fuck," as though that matters.

*Someone like me, who will enjoy the win against a team like the Patriots, Ravens, etc. regardless of who doesn't play, and wherein Steelers chances to win are enhanced by injuries to the opposition....your position is most definitely not true and unsound.

And I wish I could find you on Rate My Professor....'cuz your students probably think you suck...and.....Boring as Fuck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:14 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

*Someone like you, who places a premium on their enjoyment, their pleasure, and connects that to beating an opponent who is playing at full strength, in a game where any team is rarely at full strength...maybe you have a point, irrelevant as it might be. And I say this noting that you've commented at least once, that the way the Steelers were playing was "boring as fuck," as though that matters.

*Someone like me, who will enjoy the win against a team like the Patriots, Ravens, etc. regardless of who doesn't play, and wherein Steelers chances to win are enhanced by injuries to the opposition....your position is most definitely not true and unsound.

And I wish I could find you on Rate My Professor....'cuz your students probably think you suck...and.....Boring as Fuck.
If you keep attacking, I'll keep making pop corn. Kinda like watching a train wreck from my back yard deck. Treated I might add, with some nifty details learned from "this old house" on PBS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:04 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

But Swiss, you not only admit that I "might have a point" but again merely assert that some of my premises are unsound. Assertions are not refutations.

Please, tell us why. Perhaps you think it is possible to insult your way toward a refutation. You may even think insults are arguments. They are not.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:21 pm 

You're the one calling me a pussy, but accusing me of using insults. That's nice, professor. The only point I'm ceding is that if you would rather our opponent have no injuries so that you can enjoy the game more...by your standards, then good for you. My standards are different. I don't worry about enjoying the game. So for me, your premise is a false premise

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next