It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:15 pm 

ironzabo wrote:
FYI boys....

My man Hanson is en fuego and showing his elite athleticism down in Bradenton thus far ;)

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pira ... enton.html

He is the elixir we need at the top of the lineup and can be a TRUE difference maker if he is given the opportunity 8-)

Opening Day Lineup vs The Dragon and Wainwright at PNC Park :

1. Hanson 2B
2. JHAY 3B
3. Cutch CF
4. Marte LF
5. Polanco RF
6. Jaso 1B
7. Cervelli C
8. Mercer SS
9. Cole SP

I would like this. What's Kang's status? I always hear about Mercer's glove, and yes its OK, but I think he is useless and a waste of a roster spot imho.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:48 am 

Buster Olney predicts Bucs to WIN THE WORLD SERIES

Don/t tell Jeemie -- he won't believe Olney made the prediction, or that the Pirates will win any games

and definitely don't tell Dumb and Dumber about it

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:59 am 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
Buster Olney predicts Bucs to WIN THE WORLD SERIES

Don/t tell Jeemie -- he won't believe Olney made the prediction, or that the Pirates will win any games

and definitely don't tell Dumb and Dumber about it

I doubt anything said by a grown man who allows himself to be referred to as Buster on its face.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:36 am 

I just hope they can win "Best Team In Baseball At The All Star Break" award again!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:34 pm 

Trying not to break Hacksaw's spell...but this year, Olney has picked the Cubs to win the World Series.

Let's hope it's the same kiss of death for them as it was for the Pirates last year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:03 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Trying not to break Hacksaw's spell...but this year, Olney has picked the Cubs to win the World Series.

Let's hope it's the same kiss of death for them as it was for the Pirates last year.

I hope the gerbil felching Arrieta breaks his fuckin' leg.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:39 am 

Obviously wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

I hope the gerbil felching Arrieta breaks his fuckin' leg.

Word.

Never disliked Chicago til last season . . . now I hope they and their fans go another 100 years without a ring. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:56 pm 

Talk me off the ledge Steel Hacksaw!!!

Pirates have not looked so hot this spring...Niese and Vogelsong have looked like sludge.

it is only spring, but still...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:29 pm 

Here's the thing about the Pirates that just pisses me off. We're all sitting around here wondering if they can maintain what they accomplished the past three seasons. No one is talking about taking it to the next level. Oh, I guess Olney if he's got the Bucs winning the World Series, but really do any of you think that's going to happen? I ask that because I want to know which players in particular are going to rise up and take this team to the NL pennant or possibly a World Series championship? Last year we saw players on the Mets and Royals do it. We saw the Cubs come into PNC and spank the Bucs because they had players who rose up to situation. I've seen the Bucs do that once in three years - the famous Cueto game. After that it was Wainwright, Wacca and playing golf for the winter. Who are the Pirates that will take the team to the championship? Cutch maybe? He's been okay in the playoffs but certainly not a Stargell of 1979 or a Clemente of 1971. Cole? Yeah, well we saw him wilt against the Cubs. Maybe he gets better this year? Who else? Marte? Polanco? Maybe if either of them learned any bat discipline. I have my doubts. Kang? JHey? I'd like to know. All this and I am assuming they make it to the playoffs this season. Big if.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:10 am 

Starling Marte finishes the 2016 campaign deservedly in the running for the NL MVP IMHO ....

The Kang is in better physical condition and making progress by leaps and bounds and will be able to functionally communicate with his mates this season...I expect him to be a force in the middle of the lineup....

Jaso and Morse is a MASSIVE upgrade in regard to OBP and will pay dividends in spades as a result of eliminating the absurd K rate that Pedro produced.....

Hanson is a real straw to stir the drink at the top of the lineup and he deserves to be given that role and the 2B duties going forward from the jump and thus allow Jhay to spell the boys across the diamond and keep everyone fresh in his most suited capacity as a super utility man.....

Niese will reap the benefits of pitching at PNC Park with this defense behind him as it is the most athletically gifted team we have had since 92'

Cole is going to make the jump to being a true ACE and with Frankie and the help we have on the way for the second half of the marathon the starting rotation will be a strength when paired with what may be the BEST bullpen in the NL overall .....

Get on board now boys and buckle the fuck up as this is the year that the Buccos make the jump to the WS 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:50 am 

Steel???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:57 pm 

ironzabo wrote:
Starling Marte finishes the 2016 campaign deservedly in the running for the NL MVP IMHO ....

The Kang is in better physical condition and making progress by leaps and bounds and will be able to functionally communicate with his mates this season...I expect him to be a force in the middle of the lineup....

Jaso and Morse is a MASSIVE upgrade in regard to OBP and will pay dividends in spades as a result of eliminating the absurd K rate that Pedro produced.....

Hanson is a real straw to stir the drink at the top of the lineup and he deserves to be given that role and the 2B duties going forward from the jump and thus allow Jhay to spell the boys across the diamond and keep everyone fresh in his most suited capacity as a super utility man.....

Niese will reap the benefits of pitching at PNC Park with this defense behind him as it is the most athletically gifted team we have had since 92'

Cole is going to make the jump to being a true ACE and with Frankie and the help we have on the way for the second half of the marathon the starting rotation will be a strength when paired with what may be the BEST bullpen in the NL overall .....

Get on board now boys and buckle the fuck up as this is the year that the Buccos make the jump to the WS 8-)

I sure hope you're right. As of March 11, 2016, I just don't see it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:16 pm 

Bucs signed David Freese today. $3 million, 1 year deal. That is a nice pick up to fill the hole until Kang is healthy. Throws some cold water on the Alen Hanson enthusiasm. I can't see any scenario in which they'd take Hanson north with the club now unless someone gets hurt.

And this is for Obviously who asked if the Pirates have a guy that can "rise up". Freese has an NLCS MVP and World Series MVP on his resume. :P :P :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:42 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
Bucs signed David Freese today. $3 million, 1 year deal. That is a nice pick up to fill the hole until Kang is healthy. Throws some cold water on the Alen Hanson enthusiasm. I can't see any scenario in which they'd take Hanson north with the club now unless someone gets hurt.

And this is for Obviously who asked if the Pirates have a guy that can "rise up". Freese has an NLCS MVP and World Series MVP on his resume. :P :P :P

Maybe I should ask the question more often. It might net us David Ortiz, Madison Bumgarner or Salvador Perez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:50 am 

Love the Freese pickup.

Giving props to NH.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:28 am 

Going to break character a bit here because the retardation is strong.

Ironzabo was the original steel. In fact, I was convinced for awhile that steel was his new moniker. He really hates Kris Letang for some reason, or as he calls him "Le Tange." Should tell you everything you need to know.

Obviously, this entire thread is parody of the Pirates doing just that...failing to take anything to the next level. In the original thread, I was pretty much saying what you did verbatim, but steel was being so rah rah and stupid that I made it a goal to call him a fucking idiot every chance I got.

David Freese, eh? Seems like a wild attempt to make up for self-created depth issues that the Pirates forced on themselves because they refused to pay one of the better offensive 2B options in the NL for the past decade.

"But Hacksaw, that money went to Niese, HERP DERP."

Yes, but if they kept Walker, do you really think they would have paid an additional 9-11 million on another pitcher? It was whatever fit into their budget. Fuck it if they get rid of good players.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:47 am 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
Going to break character a bit here because the retardation is strong.

Ironzabo was the original steel. In fact, I was convinced for awhile that steel was his new moniker. He really hates Kris Letang for some reason, or as he calls him "Le Tange." Should tell you everything you need to know.

Obviously, this entire thread is parody of the Pirates doing just that...failing to take anything to the next level. In the original thread, I was pretty much saying what you did verbatim, but steel was being so rah rah and stupid that I made it a goal to call him a fucking idiot every chance I got.

David Freese, eh? Seems like a wild attempt to make up for self-created depth issues that the Pirates forced on themselves because they refused to pay one of the better offensive 2B options in the NL for the past decade.

Neil Walker and David Freese are nearly identical in terms of production, both last year and over their careers.

Last year Freese slugged .420 with a .323 OBP and hit 14 HR. For his career he has 761 OPS and a .276 batting average.

Last year Walker slugger .427 with a .328 OBP and 16 HR. For his career he has 769 OPS and a .272 batting average.

They both grade out as substandard at their positions, though Walker has fallen off much more dramatically because his range has deteriorated. Range is less of an issue at 3B than 2B which means Walker is more likely to lose more defensive value than Freese will going forward.

I think a Walker at 2B and JHay at 3B combo is on par with Freese at 3B and Jhay at 2B combo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:55 pm 

You can look at this (as is almost always the case) as glass half-empty vs. half-full. I'll side with half-full for now because I want it to work out. Here's the half-full case: 1-year @ $3 million is low/no risk. If it works out it's a financial steal. Freese can at least catch the ball that's hit at him and has some decent pop from the right side of the plate. If Kang isn't ready or has a setback Freese can hold the fort while Hanson is held back (YOC = years of control). If Freese/Kang doesn't work out in a couple of months it will be safe to bring up Hanson (YOC) and NH can say he tried going with a veteran on a team competing for a championship.

I believe that it is fair to ask some questions just to explore the half-empty side.
(1) Why was Freese still available just 3 weeks before the season started?
(2) Why was Freese willing to sign a 1-year deal for $3 million?
(3) Why did NH make this move now -- doesn't like Hanson? Doesn't like the other pieces he had pre-Freese?
(4) Would Freese have been offered a 1-year contract for very much more than $3 million, or was salary again the trump card?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:23 pm 

And Freese is cheaper.

And hasn't been a non-entity in post-season like Neil.

This was a good move.

Had the Pirates retained Happ, this would be a step up from last year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:39 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
And Freese is cheaper. And hasn't been a non-entity in post-season like Neil. This was a good move.
Had the Pirates retained Happ, this would be a step up from last year.

Sadly, I think cheaper has a lot to do with it. That's why Happ & Walker are playing elsewhere in 2016, IMHO.

You could say that the Niese/Freese plan was comparable to the Happ/Walker plan for less money. Problem is, that implies that last November you knew that David Freese would be available in March 2016 for $3 million. How could NH or anyone know that?

Frankly, NH may have caught a lucky break (and I hope that's the case). Problem is, what if NH didn't catch that lucky break? Do you think Hanson was really coming north on opening day (years of control). In fairness to NH, I think NH was willing to gamble $3 million not only on Freese but on the hope that $3 million was also worth another YOC with Hanson in the long run.

My larger concern as a Pirate fan is that had Freese or a similar option not been available to NH that NH was ready to roll with what we had, and what we had wasn't as good of an option in NH's mind to keep NH from paying the $3 million to Freese.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next