It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deadline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:07 am 

Bucs are rolling and now are legitimate threats to win a weak NL Central. They are only 3 games behind the division leading Brewers and they are healthier now than at any point in the season. And arguably their best player has returned from suspension. They have a lot going for them. Taillon/Cole/Nova make up a solid top 3 on par with the Cubs and Cards and a notch better than the Brewers. Felipe Rivero looks like the best reliever in the division if not the entire NL. The lineup is actually pretty decent. It has been a long time since 1st base has been solidified like it is now. Things are unfolding quite nicely and it has never been more apparent that this is the time to be BOLD AT THE TRADE DEADLINE!!! If ever there was a time that Neal Huntington should grow a pair this is it. He has been a good soldier/yes man for Bob Nutting to this point. And under his watch he had done some really good things. But he doesn't have much term on his contract (Pirates have an option on him for next season) so he needs to get greedy and not worry about future financial flexibility for an organization/owner that might not even reward him further for it. If I were Neal Huntington I'd salivate at the opportunity to put one gigantic exclamation point on my resume. Go add some big pieces. Give this team a shot at a deep playoff run. If that were to happen he'd be almost as coveted as Theo Epstein was. Go make the big moves. And if the owner blocks you from doing that then threaten to squeal on him to the press.

Last edited by SteelPro on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington and Buccos at the trade deeadline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:19 pm 

^^^ I'll have one of what he said, please ^^^

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:42 pm 

Im the opposite. I don't think they're good enough but I don't think there's any one player they can get or position they can upgrade that makes them contenders.

So I try to sell.

I try to trade Cutch. I try to trade Freese. I see what I can get for Rivero.

If I don't get blow away deals then I keep them and maybe consider being a buyer.

But if I can get one or two major league ready potential stars to add to this lineup next year, I do it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:01 pm 

fortythree wrote:
Im the opposite. I don't think they're good enough but I don't think there's any one player they can get or position they can upgrade that makes them contenders.

So I try to sell.

If I don't get blow away deals then I keep them and maybe consider being a buyer.

But if I can get one or two major league ready potential stars to add to this lineup next year, I do it.

Even if you truly believe that is the best way to go... if you are basically a lame duck GM (or you are a GM that is finishing out term on your own accord so you can move on to greener pastures) why wouldn't you just go for it now? What is the point of building for a future that the owner hasn't guaranteed you to be a part of? And for the record I'm in complete disagreement with you. This is the most winnable the division has been in a long time. I don't expect that to be the case going forward. Cubs will fix their issues, but it will likely take the offseason to do it. Pirates have the pieces to do it this year. Add something significant now and it looks even more attainable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:38 pm 

I heard Matt Diaz is available.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:59 pm 

Chicago outlets report the f'ing Cubs going after Yu Darvish as the Rangers begin their fire-sale. In any case Chi probably won't stay put, which means our lying, cheap s.o.b. Pirates owner will be even further exposed as a lying, cheap s.o.b. if he doesn't do whatever it takes to go for the Division Title now . . . :?: :? :?:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:36 pm 

All a moot point because the Cubs are going to be able to acquire a much better caliber player with a huge contract which we wouldn't be able to afford.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:57 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
All a moot point because the Cubs are going to be able to acquire a much better caliber player with a huge contract which we wouldn't be able to afford.

Why would they not be able to afford it. Bob Nutting has money oozing out of his asshole. There is no cap. Not being able to afford, and not wanting to pay are two different things.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:36 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
fortythree wrote:

So I try to sell.

Even if you truly believe that is the best way to go... if you are basically a lame duck GM (or you are a GM that is finishing out term on your own accord so you can move on to greener pastures) why wouldn't you just go for it now? What is the point of building for a future that the owner hasn't guaranteed you to be a part of? And for the record I'm in complete disagreement with you. This is the most winnable the division has been in a long time. I don't expect that to be the case going forward. Cubs will fix their issues, but it will likely take the offseason to do it. Pirates have the pieces to do it this year. Add something significant now and it looks even more attainable.

I don't think the division is winnable at all. The Cubs will go all out at the deadline.

But even if it is, and they win it. Does this look like a team at all capable of any kind of post-season run?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:39 pm 

Huntington will do nothing.

And they'll use something close to forty-three's rationale to justify it.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next