It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:56 pm 

NFL Insider Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports is now reporting that the Steelers have shown interest in Los Angeles Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson who is believed to be on the trading block.

Post subject: Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:00 pm 

Unless they're not asking much, I can't see it with his current franchise contract.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:03 pm 

Do it and do it now.

Oh, I mean we should definitely explore the option :lol:

They'd have to already have a deal in place before that would happen.

Last edited by smithessmokin on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:03 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
NFL Insider Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports is now reporting that the Steelers have shown interest in Los Angeles Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson who is believed to be on the trading block.

Can he cover a former lacrosse player?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:52 am 

Sounds like another 4th or 5th round pick wasted...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:14 am 

Quote:
"The Rams have been open to other trade options as well, though this deal of Gaines makes it even less likely they move top corner Trumaine Johnson, who is making $17 million this season after being franchised a second straight year," La Canfora wrote Friday. "Sources said the Steelers have been among the teams sniffing around on a possible Johnson trade." https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/stee ... e-johnson/
No thanks. He is too expensive. They still haven't signed Tuitt or Bell and there are a slew of players in line for new contracts next year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:16 am 

I don't know there are all kind of ways to make a trade Steelafan77. Maybe we could give them Senquez Golson and Sammie Coates in trade for Johnson?

Here me out. They are under contract for the next two seasons, this year and next, and the Steelers would have to pay a collective $3.2 million to those players. Yeah, you still have to worry about signing Johnson to a new contract but it doesn't have to be about giving up first round picks to trade for him. Maybe a combination of players and a 3rd round pick could get it done.

You know, when we had the Bell discussion thread on him turning down the Steelers proposal I wondered if the Steelers would go in a different direction.

I still contend that it is not a foregone conclusion that Bell will be franchised next season. I said in that thread that the Steelers would probably be better off pursuing a free agent CB, S or TE and let Bell go and draft his replacement in round 1 in the 2018 draft. Might there be a little smoke to that fire?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:29 am 

Johnson is good but not worth 17 million. That said...I'm in the camp that says Bell is not worth his money. I'd rather see Bell walk and get defensive help with that money. If we want to be the Atlantas and NEs of the league, we have to be better on D. Watt is a nice start along with Burns development. But we still could use elevated safety play and another really good corner. Also you can never have too many pass rushers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:41 am 

tazfootball2 wrote:

Sounds like another 4th or 5th round pick wasted...

Are you kidding me? If they got Johnson for a 4th rounder it would be a huge coup. He is one of the better young boundary CBs in the NFL. The biggest block to this happening is his cap #. So for me this is purely click bait.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:36 am 

Wish they could trade Bell for this guy.