It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dobbs
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:08 am 

Full disclosure: I am a Dobbs homer. I'm a long-time Vol fan, and Dobbs is one of my two or three favorite TN QB's ever.

NFL.Com, if you go to the videos for last nights game, has a compilation of every Dobbs run or pass.

Here's my take:

I saw nothing last night that wasn't entirely consistent with how he played in college.

The good:

1. As I said in a post last night, the best thing about Dobbs is that he never gets tilted. After a disastrous first quarter and a half, he played much, much better afterwards. The guy has an A+ mentality. He was money in clutch situations, and consistently would turn around horrible starts.
2. He is big and fast and you could see it in some of the plays he made with his legs. As I said in some of the pre-draft threads, he is not Vick/RG3 level at scrambling, but he was the best between the tackles running QB I've ever seen.
3. Throws great vertical passes.

The bad:

1. The two interceptions. The second is one you hope that now that he's seen a zone blitz like that, he won't make that mistake again (Dobbs is literally a rocket scientist). The first, I was hoping I would see evidence that his arm got hit, but it definitely did not look like there was any contact. Not clear what the hell happened there, but it was ugly.

2. Short touch passes. He's never been good at them. Dobbs is more accurate throwing 30 yards than throwing three yards. 75% of Dobbs' screen or short passes last night sucked.A lot of that is footwork and his windup throwing motion. He's really got to shorten everything up to play well in the NFL. But if you remember, Big Ben was awful at those throws early in his career, and now he runs some of the best screen passes in the business.

Altogether, I think he did perfectly well for a fourth round pick starting the very first game of the preseason in his rookie season. You could see the flashes of a playmaker. If he can simply avoid the awful interceptions, then he is already a better player than Landry Jones or old Michael Vick. Dobbs made three or four plays last night that Jones couldn't dream of making.

Post subject: Re: Dobbs
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:42 am 

I only saw the first half but dobbs made kordell Stewart look like johnny Unitas out there.

I'll have to check the nfl.com cut up to see what I missed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 am 

I saw a career back up. Heck, even Landry has had a perfect game against a tough Arizona team. This guy did somewhat decent against backups and vanilla defense. He stunk it up when faced with starters and some wrinkles were presented. He has a slow release. He has no touch on short passes. The training camp reports all say that his lack of accuracy is the problem. The long passes are low percentage anyway and you will get killed if you depend on them. Rothlisberger has always been accurate. He was 15-1 in his rookie season. His problem was reading defense and taking off. Dobbs problem is reading defense and lack of accuracy. He has never excelled anywhere, and he is unlikely to at NFL level. I would take EJ Manual over him....if you are so enamored with a running qb. He is not replacement qb for Ben. He will not even approach Charlie Batch. I would take Landry over him anyday as a back up.

Ben is going to be missed for a long time after he leaves....just like Terry Bradshaw was.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:20 am 

I would have rather taken Peterman than Dobbs if they had to go QB at that pick. It's really simple. If you can't read defenses and go through progressions and if you don't have good short accuracy...you won't do much in the NFL. A couple spectacular plays with immense talent won't make up for the little mistakes that kill drives.

He's a Steeler now and I hope he's the next Peyton Manning, but I can't lie to myself right now when I watch him. As I said after the draft, being a rocket scientist does not mean your brain is good at scanning a field, processing routes in split seconds, and making accurate throws.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:32 am 

Dobbs will never be an NFL QB worth having. His ceiling is so far below Landry Jones floor that you can't even compare the two as rookies.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:50 am 

I find it hilarious that people are calling Dobbs career after his FIRST NFL game.

Watt and Mike Hilton are going to the hall of fame.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:56 am 

T.W. wrote:
I find it hilarious that people are calling Dobbs career after his FIRST NFL game.

This.

I saw a kid playing in his first ever NFL action. Nothing more or less.

Make a few nice throws and some really bad ones.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:00 am 

Like many athletic QB's, Dobbs is far more comfortable throwing long than short.

That isn't good.

Just gotta hope he can improve his underneath accuracy BY A LOT, or he'll go the way of the Tee Martin's and Omar Jacobs' of this world.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:35 am 

KC wrote:
Like many athletic QB's, Dobbs is far more comfortable throwing long than short.

That isn't good.

Just gotta hope he can improve his underneath accuracy BY A LOT, or he'll go the way of the Tee Martin's and Omar Jacobs' of this world.

Yup. Wows with his running ability. Throws darts downfield. Cant hit the broad side of a barn from within 10 yards.

I've seen this script before. Lets hope he shakes it off with more experience.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:37 am 

T.W. wrote:

Wasn't even his first NFL game. First preseason game with scruffs around him.