It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Eclipse
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:21 am 

jebrick wrote:
I am renting out 3'x3' parts of my lawn for 2024 total eclipse in Indianapolis. :D

Paul Allen is renting out 3'x3' parts of the deck of the Indianapolis although I'd rather be on your lawn and closer to the shrimp cocktails at the St Elmos bar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:34 pm 

Boys, I'm nearly speechless (pretty unusual -- just ask my wife :lol: ). But I'm trying to put the total experience into words.

It was mindblowing. If you've ever seen anything in nature that blew you away --- a gorgeous sunset in Hawaii, the end of a thunderstorm in Yosemite, the Milky Way sparkling over the desert on a summer night . . . this went far beyond. The 2 minutes of totality seemed like it was over in 10 seconds but still keeps replaying in my head two days later.

All the cool related phenomena, like the "darkness at noon", the colors of the surrounding mountains and valleys suddenly going monochrome, the cool wind dropping the temperature, the eerie 360° sunset -- even all that paled when we suddenly witnessed the blackest black hole imaginable in the middle of a charcoal sky, rimmed by a dazzling, undulating silver/white plasma cloud flowing out in waves into the surrounding space. Just spectacular.

I almost always have a camera in my hands but heeded the advice of experts and didn't try to take pictures since many better photographers were sure to be capturing it (like that great shot Pabst posted). I gotta say though that even the best photos & videos do not come close. The difference between being in the 99% area and 100% was everything.

Just got back to So Cal w/my brothers . . . flew 700 miles each way, then drove over 1,000 miles total, scouting out alternative locations, were prepared to sleep in the rental SUV if necessary but thankfully made it back each night to our "base station" hotel . . . it was worth every penny.

BTW, agree with your observations and comments, Old School. Only adds to the "physical" and "material" elements of the event.

Sure hope the skies are clear in April 2024 for the next one . . . :) . . . this time it's 4 minutes of totality :o

Last edited by franco>madden on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:02 pm 

Damn, franco, you are getting absolutely poetic! I have to seriously consider making a stronger effort for 2024.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:07 pm 

The 2024 path is dead center over my house. No doubt it will be cloudy. Cause Cleveland.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:03 pm 

Steel Drummer wrote:
Damn, franco, you are getting absolutely poetic! I have to seriously consider making a stronger effort for 2024.

Would definitely encourage you to do so, SD -- don't think you'll regret it.

I've seen several partial eclipses over the years and was never too impressed. I'm not a space nerd or anything but when I started reading the descriptions of what it's like at "ground zero" of totality on the Great American Eclipse website a year ago, plus the fact that (for a change) this one wasn't happening in outer Mongolia or somewhere, I was hooked.

I dunno, maybe it helps if you're a nature- or art-lover, but I saw some previously cynical, uninterested people going gaga afterwards -- pretty hard to not be impressed by the spectacle, and very unlike any other thing you'll ever see.

Just gotta begin researching the historical cloud-cover patterns for early April along the 2024 route (doesn't guarantee clear skies but really helps when you're far-advance planning) . . . Guess Y-Town already helpfully provided the long-range Cleveland forecast :lol: . . . thinking southern Texas could work . . . hopefully there won't be an early start to tornado season in the mid-west that year. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:52 am 

FM please post your findings and your research, we have every intention of viewing the next one in a prime location under ideal conditions. You're fine piece of writing about the changes of light is something I hadn't contemplated prior to the eclipse. Friends who viewed the eclipse from mountain tops and deserts have said the same thing about the incredible aspects of light.

Our solar system and beyond runs with precision and this gave us a chance to see the clockwork from within.